the death of the Dope

Let me just bring up a personal gripe, to tie into JohnT’s.

By this point the last 4 pages of the thread had been HD taking a big fat stinking dump all over an otherwise quite serious discussion, which I had been working quite hard to keep that way (because god knows the moderators won’t help with that). I had reported several of HD’s posts, most notably a fucking horrific joke made at the expense of the victims of the concentration camps. No moderator stepped in or said or did anything, because apparently this is fine.

This prompted… a temporary hiatus. (Hey, good call, Ravenman!)

Skip forward a few pages, and here’s Bone again:

An apology is, presumably, not forthcoming.

Two things to note.

1. Ditka didn’t get worse over the course of the thread. He was fucking awful from the start and stayed at about that level.
  2. Thank you, Bone, for reaching the point most of the rest of us were at half a decade ago, so kind of you to join us. Please, for the love of god, actually enforce this shit, because this is literally HD’s modus operandi and if you actively hold yourself to this post, he’ll be gone in a fuckin’ week.

That said, I really doubt he will, because, like Clothahump before him, it basically does not matter how noxious and shitty HD becomes, as long as he does so in a polite tone of voice, because this is how the moderators understand trolling:

Hey, since I haven’t said it, let’s just say it here: Jonathan Chance does not understand trolling, and is, as a result, an absolutely terrible moderator. This is not the internet anyone lives in any more. It never was, and these days you need to know better than that.

This board has serious troll problems, but the mod staff seems to take it the other way. Meanness, or calling someone’s bullshit? That’s a problem, that’ll get you warned ASAP. Constantly trolling and ruining any thread they’re a part of? Maybe, if we’re really lucky, after 18 fucking years of escalating bad behavior, the mods will get a clue. It could have been so easy to say, “Slacker, Samuel, we’ve heard your perspective, thank you. Please stop posting in this thread, and maybe give the next one on the subject a pass as well.” Instead, we get… this. It is phenomenally frustrating. Twitter moderation is ass, but if I call someone a jerk and block them, I don’t usually then have to deal with people around me constantly quoting them.