The Democratic president of the United States of America, the guy who ran against Donald Trump and just launched his campaign to do so again, just called someone "an illegal" in the State of the Union address

Language about which SDMB users recently argued: "Illegals" and "invaders" should be moderated as hate speech in the context of immigration debates

Marjorie Taylor Greene gives Biden a pin and yells at him about it, so Biden holds up the pin, mispronounces the name of the lady allegedly murdered by an immigrant, and then says “an innocent young woman who was killed by an illegal, that’s right.” Marjorie Taylor Greene. An illegal. The Democrat.

I don’t argue about this stuff anymore and I’m not interested in being informed for the 99th million time that Donald Trump is also a scumbag and a racist. I’m just writing down that it happened. What else do you do.

It is beyond parody that this thread is now tagged “Trump.”

As a strong supporter of immigration, I’m outraged by this and will reluctantly have to vote for Trump for a third time. <\NY Times Pitchbot>

What is your point? In the thread you linked to, the staff did not proscribe the use of the word Illegal. That was a poster that was hoping to.

As to the tag, that is an automatic tagging and will now be removed by the Moderator that checks that shit, me.

Well, Jim, my point is that it’s bad.

What is bad?
Is it bad he used a common word?
Does this somehow balance the 1000 fuckeries that Trump and MTG say?

Or are you pointing out that as usual our choices for President are bad?

If so, well duh. I’ll take the far less bad who I never wanted as President and is doing a surprisingly good job over the conman and would be fascist dictator. But I would love a younger and more charismatic candidate without the foot-in-mouth disease that has always plagued Biden. As I recall, in 2020, Biden was my 7th pick of the Democrats running for the nomination. But hey, he was a solid compromise candidate that managed to beat the evil, conman that helped to kill so many Americans.

Let me say that I am disappointed that he used that wording. Let me also say that I am not disappointed that we are now over three years into his presidency and this is one of the few threads about something he did that he shouldn’t have. It’s a refreshing change after the previous occupant had them on the daily.

As president, he may not have time to keep up to date on the euphemism treadmill.

Well, you know, please don’t take this personally, but as a racist, that would naturally be your position. That part makes sense to me.

Don’t forget puppy kicker. I kick all the puppies.

Laken is not a common name. Its normal that anyone might misspeak it.
Yes, illegal immigrants commit crimes. Americans do too.
C’mon man!

You can’t logic a person out of an opinion they didn’t logic themselves into.

Let this thread die a deserved death.

That very illogical position, which was held by every single centrist and liberal in the country not long ago, that it is bad for the president to call human beings “illegal.”

Yeah, sorry, to be clear: the problem with mispronouncing the name isn’t that he mispronounced a name. That is no big deal for anyone, less of a big deal for Joe Biden. The problem is if you aren’t even up on the situation enough to be familiar with the name, then you’re just taking some inspiration from Marjorie Taylor Greene in order to riff on an “illegal.”

If you think it’s no big deal to call people “illegals,” not going to argue that. You are on the other side of that issue from me.

Calling every immigrant an illegal is bad. Calling someone being illegally in the USA illegal, is a statement of fact.
That is what many trumpers and racists can’t understand.
Congratulations with holding the record, at least in some months, for the most verbose heading.

Someone needs a hug.

:hugs:

No one is taking inspiration from that inbred fender-head Marge Three Toes.

No one is taking perspiration from her either, especially after she was bounced from her gym after sleeping with some gym members (and sexually harassing others).

Maybe she’s just too photogenic for us poor folk.

You would certainly like to think so. But then you have to loop back around and say why did he bring up the matter at all? Either saying she was murdered by an illegal was the point, or it was off the cuff because he was following her lead.

Bolding mine. Also, eh?

BSAB! BSAB!

Trump wanted to LITERALLY GUN DOWN IMMIGRANTS AT THE BORDER.

Biden used a bad word.

Since these are both bad things, we can say that Both Sides Are Bad! Your choice is the racist with an R or the racist with a D, gee whiz, who can choose?

Can someone help me here? Do I take the “said illegal” guy or the “machine gun them into a fine paste” guy? Maybe I should sit this one out because all racists are bad.

I think that’s a bit of a misinterpretation based on the words used and the inherent slop in the English language. If you were to say that someone illegally immigrated, that’s not offensive. I’m not even sure how it could be- they have broken the law by immigrating here outside the approved ways for doing so.

When you are trying to describe the person who has immigrated illegally, “illegal immigrant” is the way it contorts around in English. And it means “one who has immigrated illegally”.

It can be interpreted differently, as “an immigrant who is illegal”, which could mean the same thing, or it could mean that you’re trying to say that the person is “illegal” which is both kind of stupid, and disingenuous.

But that’s the name of the game when it comes to illegal immigration and politics. It’s about as deathly stupid as “undocumented immigrant”, which has an implication that they left their visa in their other pants when they left their home country. That’s absolutely NOT true in the vast majority of cases- these people are deliberately trying to circumvent our customs and immigration controls to come here and live. Calling them “undocumented” is a way to try and obscure that, IMO.

But “illegal” has its own set of problems- it implies that this person is a criminal of some kind, and to a segment of the population, being labeled as a criminal is anathema, and it also implies that you’re up for other criminality. So they’re dead-set against it, even when it’s often just families and people trying for a better life here.

And finally, “illegal immigrant” is something of an older term. And Biden’s OLD, so is anyone surprised he might use it without thinking? I’m personally impressed that he keeps his shit as PC as he does, considering his age. He could very well have been a Prince Philip type, but he has managed to be mostly in step with the times.

I think you wrote that out despite knowing that none of that was in the post, and that I only mentioned Trump at all to head off the exact post that you wrote anyway.