The Donald Trump 2024 Campaign Thread (Primary Edition)

I agree, but it may be 2032 before the stench lifts enough.

I do think Fox News is turning away from him now. I decided to look at their announcement webpage and this is one of the featured phots, which to my eyes, isn’t the most flattering.

I’m sure once he secures the nomination (he will), they will be back on the Trump Train and they’ll stop blocking his cell number on Fox & Friends.

It’s funny, in an alternate universe, DeSantis runs as his running mate, they win, and then DeSantis is positioned for a Presidential run. But it seems they hate each other, at least at the moment.

I hear Kari Lake is free.

Lake? Maybe if she had won, but now? Not a chance. “Loser Lake”? Nope.

And Fox News/Murdoch has tried to pull away before and always come running back as soon as it hurts numbers. We will see.

I meant that as a joke … though really anything could happen. I don’t think there’s going to be a stampede of people wanting to get on the ticket, so I don’t think we should expect much.

He’s still going, isn’t he. I can just feel it.

Nah, DeSantis has to run this time if he harbors real ambition to be President. In 2028 he’ll be two years out of office and Republicans will have moved on to the next big thing. Gotta strike while the iron’s hot, just ask Chris Christie.

538 says Trump is favored to win the Republican primary.

There are many dozens of House reps that will get involved in Hunger Games level shit to climb over each other to be the bigliest asskisser to get his favor. Hell, it wouldn’t surprise me if he does an Apprentice-style contest to see who gets the prize.

One thing I haven’t seen addressed yet (or I missed it): how is his crowd and his onstage support?

(Edit: didn’t mean to make that a question of anyone in particular. Tried to delete to make it not a reply to a specific post, but I couldn’t?)

Instead of a show of in-person support from Republican Congressional leaders or GOP Governors, many of whom gathered earlier in the day in nearby Orlando at a meeting of the the Republican Governors Association, Tuesday’s announcement was attended by notable such right wing personalities as My Pillow CEO Mike Lindell, conservative radio host Eric Metaxas, former Acting Director of U.S. National Intelligence Richard Grenell and former Trump head of the Office of Management and Budget Russel Vought.

the gathering was notably absent of Republican elected officials, with the exception of Rep. Madison Cawthorn, R-N.C., who lost his 2022 Republican primary.

Ha!

Apologies, I accidentally closed the news article I pulled that from and cannot provide an attribution. Possibly Wapo?

ETA: It was Yahoo News. Also contained this little tidbit:

Shortly before he addressed his supporters Tuesday, Rep. David Ciccilline, D-R.I., circulated a draft of a legislation he will soon file that would bar Trump from “holding office again under the Fourteenth Amendment” of the U.S. Constitution.

Section 3 of that amendment bars those who “have engaged in insurrection” from holding office.

nm - ninja’d

DeSantis will run. All he has to do is be as witless and younger than the fat orange guy. I think he can recruit tons of the trumpies to his side, starting with many Florida nuts.

I also read in another SDMB thread that his campaign staff is much smaller than the 2020 campaign staff. Won’t that just gain him more scratch at the grifting game, then drop out? Hell, he can even support DeSantis and make out with more grifting bucks.

Was Ivanka there?

Seriously, it seemed like hours. Once he started winding down I took a melatonin because I was sure it was almost midnight and I wasn’t sleepy yet, then I look at the clock and it’s not even ten. Whoops.

The theme seemed to be “Joe Biden has made your once perfect life a living hell, and you may not even realize this yet, but I’ll be telling you about it until you believe me.”

And he’s going to repeal the Green New Deal.

I think DeSantis will run in 2024, he won’t wait. And I doubt he’d leave the governors office to be Trump’s VP, because the only way someone can survive in that position is to be a total acolyte.

And the new VP candidate will have to consider that Trump literally sent a mob build a gallows and execute the last guy because he wasn’t loyal enough, even though that god-bothering lickspittle’s picture was in the dictionary next to the word subservient.

Being the VP for a President other than Trump might be a good way for a DeSantis to position himself as a successor, but being Trumps next VP is like being Henry VIII’s next wife.

Agreed. But Trump could always retire and give it to DeSantis. I’m guessing orangefuck has something to blackmail DeSantis on. Same human trafficker??

@Northern_Piper , I didn’t see her, but it was certainly possible that she was. The camera spent most of its time on Trump at the podium, and he had no family members or other associates with him on stage at any time. Maybe he did later, but CNN broke away to talking heads before he was fully finished.

I say that she might have been there because the room was full of people, and it wasn’t very organized. By that, I mean that there were no seats in rows, as there might be at a press conference. Rather, attendees were on their feet, milling around. It looked like a “mix ‘n’ mingle” cocktail party, actually. So Ivanka et al. could have been there in the crowd.

Grover Trump? Donald Cleveland???

Thanks for taking a hit for the team and watching to the end!