The Educated Doper

PhD / JD - I selected PhD.

I see the JDs as more similar to those other professional doctorates, which are generally more structured like Master’s programs (like you described), compared to PhD programs.

I have a Bachelor of Music degree. Getting my MA this semester if nothing goes wrong, then starting on my PhD.

I’d like to see “Professional Degree” meaning Med School or Law School or MBA or something, and then “Trade/apprenticeship” or something like that for people who learned a trade like a carpenter, machinist, etc.

Finishing my M.A. in music by Easter (fingers crossed), then off to Law School in the fall.

JD (“ghetto doctorate”)/MBA-in-progress. I’m halfway through the MBA but now that I’m confident with quant subjects I wonder why I didn’t just sack up and go back for the MD, or study for it back in undergrand.

Wow, twinsies!

Ph.D.

I dropped out of three different colleges.

Other. There isn’t an option for BA w/Teaching Credential and other graduate certifications.

I’ve been putting ‘some college’ on things for years, and I guess that’s what still fits best, but now, as of last May, I actually have an Associate Degree. I know, I know, it’s not as exciting to anybody else as it is to me, but I think it should be on the list.

I never finished my MA, I never know what to put on my resume or on this poll (I put BA).

In addition to this I dropped out of university, I was half a year into a Bachelor of Creative Industries (Interdisciplinary). I was straight out of high school and the course was boring and it sucked and I hated it.

It would be interesting to see how long it took people to get those degrees.

Me: HS grad in '75, BS in '85, MS in '05. Plotting this curve, I suppose my Doctorate will be completed in 2045. :slight_smile:

High school '85
BA '89
PhD '94

Given that all the JDs are using different categories, I wonder how accurate this poll is.

High school 1972, AA 1988, BS 2007. I’m slow.

I once read a statistic that said 1 person in 400 (in the US) has a Ph.D. That’s only 0.25%. The poll currently shows 10.9%; it seems we overedumacated types are way, way overrepresented around here…

As an ignorant foreigner I am guessing that JD doesn’t mean Juvenile Delinquent, as it should.

In a doctoral program here. Finished all the coursework in December, and just finished a comprehensive exam two days ago.

Week long comprehensive exam =/= fun.

I still have another couple of years to go for the dissertation, but I went ahead and chose Ph.D anyway because I want some recognition for writing that damn exam!

Perhaps I should hold off pursuing my PhD then - in the name of balance.