The Educated Doper

JD=Juris Doctor=law school education.

I are one, but it didn’t teach me where to vote in this poll, so I didn’t.

Hey, I always say that too! :slight_smile:

JD as well, though I put PhD because I’m technically a doctor. But I don’t think that’s accurate because a PhD requires a lot more schooling than I have.

So right now we have JDs voting PhD, MS, other, and abstaining.

PharmD. Just sayin’…

I’m an MD with a few post-MD educational credentials, too. Diplomate & Fellow.

Didn’t see a poll option that fit me so didn’t vote.

I put MA, but really I have an MLIS. Close enough, I guess.

Yeah the Canadian system has different terminology. I have a 3 year technologist diploma too. I always thought that was equivalent to an associate’s degree in the US.

What should we say if we’re in the process of getting another, higher degree? Vote on that particular one or on one that we’ve actually achieved?

BA

We seem to be pretty well educated. You’d think we’d have better things to do.

Say it, baby, say it!

I’m got some college, but never graduated.

J.D. (voted PhD)
Dropped out of my D.Phil. (equivalent of a PhD).
Two M.A.s
B.A.

Thanks all, for the answers so far. Some interesting results there…obviously a bright and very diverse group. I apologize for the awkward wording of the poll; in retrospect I should have broadened the catagories or added more. Also noticed that I neglected to clarify my own vote. I am in the “some college” catagory…was working on a forestry degree, ran out of money & patience a little past the halfway point. The intent was to sit out a couple of terms, work, then pick up where I left off. Somehow, things interfered…jobs, marriage, kids, etc…it’s been nearly 30 years and I still haven’t got back to finish that durned degree. [sigh]…maybe when I retire…
SS

I also put MS/MA but have an MLIS.

I’d like to claim “High School Dropout,” because I did. Instead, though, I have four Associate degrees.

What can I say? I liked junior college.

There don’t seem to be multiple options for advanced degrees, MD & PhD.

I abstained from voting, because there is no category that adequately describes what I have.

I have a law degree from a Canadian university: an LL.B. This is difficult to describe to an international audience, as the Canadian law degree is named in the British style (“Bachelor of Laws”), but the education follows the American law school pattern (i.e. a B.A. or higher is required for entry to the law school, and Canadian common-law law schools follow the American Langdellian system). It is true that a few students can gain entry to a Canadian law school without a B.A., but very few manage this; and for all intents and purposes, a Canadian LL.B. is the same as an American J.D. I had a B.A. when I applied to Canadian law schools, and I did get my law degree, which means I am technically, “Spoons, B.A. LL.B.”

I also did my high school in Ontario, when five (not four) years of high school were required for entrance to undergrad studies at a university. I also had an extra year of required legal “articling” after I got my law degree and during which I studied for and passed the bar. So with these two extra years of formal study to where I am now, I have no idea where I would lie among the choices given. Perhaps it is best that I simply abstain from the poll.

M.S. in Market Research.

Another JD. Putting “PhD” seems wrong because the JD isn’t really equivalent - it’s considered a faux pas to refer to your JD as a “Juris Doctorate” on a resume. It’s a Juris Doctor degree. Kind of odd to put “other” and lump yourself in with apprenticeships and self educated, though.