The Elements that Comprise Your Beliefs DON'T PAY RENT

If I may be so bold…

It’s ridiculous not rediculous!
Thank you.

When you go crazy, you lose your mind. You do not loose it. And you do especially do not literally lose it. Unless you have taken it out of your head and misplaced it.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled pedant.

Definitely a good rant. It is possibly one of the best I have read this month.

Supposedly one is supposed to curse in a pit thread, but you managed to avoid doing so in a cogent, stellarly-expressed fashion. For this you are to be commended.

There are many good points in your rant, and the transgressors undoubtedly are hanging their heads in shame; they’re surely going to appear in this thread to apologize.

Grammar mistakes can be rather confusing; they have an effect on a sentence that can affect its meaning rather drastically.

[sub]Did I miss any?[/sub]

Lousy godless homophones, trying to get in our schools and corrupt our children.

Would that be Homophonophobia, the irrational fear of worlds that sound alike?

See also:
Deutch Grammophobia - fear of record labels.
Obi-wan Kenobiphobia - fear of aging Jedi masters (as opposed to aging LA hippies)
Firestonophobia - fear of your tires giving out
David Cone-o-phobia - fear of baseball pitchers
Moan-a-phobia - fear of being too loud during sex.

You founder before you drown. A flounder has no fear of drowning.

But dictionary.com says:

flounder \Floun"der, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Floundered; p. pr. & vb. n. Floundering.] [Cf. D. flodderen to flap, splash through mire, E. flounce, v.i., and flounder the fish.] To fling the limbs and body, as in making efforts to move; to struggle, as a horse in the mire, or as a fish on land; to roll, toss, and tumble; to flounce.

Third on my list of Three Most Hated Grammar Mistakes: “on accident”.

Re: founder v. flounder

You learn something new everyday. I always thought of founder as describing someone who founds (establishes) something.

ooops.

Make that: every day

But dictionary.com also has this definition of founder:

To sink below the surface of the water: The ship struck a reef and foundered.

So it seems that as far as talking about drowning, one could use either word (at least according to dictionary.com).

That’s sooooooooooooo funny. I won’t even comment on it.

Pet peeves of mine:

-“definAtely”
-“grammEr”
-the whole “affect” VS “effect” thing
-any misspelling of “piqued”
-any distortion of “au naturel”
-“one in the same” (I see this one so often that I’m beginning to wonder if I’m wrong when I say “one AND the same” - if I am, then I feel like an idiot right about now)
-any distortion of the word “repertoire”
-“rEdiculous”
-“its” and “it’s”
-any misused form of “there” and its homophones
-apostrophes to indicate a plural (UGH!)

Hmmmm… most of these were already mentioned by other posters. I’m fitting quite nicely into another category that’s a pet-peeve of mine: posters who have nothing of worth to add to a thread, and mostly repeat what others have said.

Ooooops.

…and therefore, even if it is no longer applicable, so that discussing it is academic but with no bearing on practical matters, it is NOT a MUTE point, moot point though it may well be!

I should spend more time reading dictionaries. That American Heritage one looks like fun. Thanks for the corrections.

Apparently that American Heritage dictionary is dictionary.com. Isn’t it, mornea?

You see I like to use the least reliable-sounding way possible to credit my sources…

OOOOH! That’s MUCHMUCHMUCH better than Merriam-Webster’s site. Thanks!

You could have, would have, should have, not could OF, would OF, and should OF.

I should of known that.

[sub]sorry, couldn’t help myself

I did use dictionary.com to find the passage quoted in my previous post, but the American Heritage dictionary is not the only source used by dictionary.com to provide definitions and word usage.

The speaker implies. The listener infers.

I once heard a radio show on which a woman calling herself “The Grammar Police” mixed these two up. Of course, it was at the very end of the radio show and I was in the car, so I couldn’t phone up to scream about it.

I doubt it (to founder seems to refer exclusively to ships). However, if you were to insist on using it metaphorically, I suppose a drowning victim could be said both to flounder and to founder. In that order.