The Flash Season 7

Sue Dearbon is giving off an Emma Peel vibe.

S07E15 Enemy at the Gates

CHILLBLAINE IS RELEASED FROM PRISON - When an army of Godspeeds attack Central City, Barry and Iris must put their family plans on hold and focus on the latest threat to their home. Meanwhile, Chillblaine (guest star John Cor) is released from prison and claims to be reformed but Frost has her doubts.

Godspeed! Finally, the season can begin. I trust this is one villain that can’t be defeated by the Power of Love. Unfortunately the episode kept getting interrupted by the Chillblaine/Frost thing. Give it a rest already!

Chillblaine is my least favorite character out of the entire run of the show. Yet he said one thing I agree with, “You cannot decide what someone’s going to do today based on what they did yesterday.” Yes! Forgiveness and the Power of Love. Can we forgive Hartley Sawyer now?

Chillblaine – I kept spelling his name “Chilblain”, like the dermal affliction. That his name is spelled as it is is yet another reason to dislike him.

Finally, does Central City not have those pee sticks? Why does Barry have to do a pregnancy test himself?

Barry muttered something about metagenes making the normal pregnancy tests inconclusive., didn’t he?

Yes, he did.

It’s good to have villain(s) who don’t monologue at Barry.

I suspect that the Godspeeds who attacked the others were sent back by a time traveler, probably Barry.

They probably did except it was in those modem noises so no one could understand them.

S07E16 P.O.W.

DAVID RAMSEY GUEST STARS - John Diggle (guest star David Ramsey) arrives in Central City with a weapon to help Barry stop the Godspeed War. Meanwhile, Allegra and Ultraviolet’s (guest star Alexa Baraja Plante) new bond is put to the ultimate test, while Joe and Kristin Kramer (guest star Carmen Moore) are hunted by a former colleague of hers.

Forgot to post the summary above before the episode aired. Oh, well.

And so Diggle visits Central City. He left without having found a cure for his neurological problems, neither here and or previously in Gotham. He’s going to visit Smallville next week. There better be a good payoff for Diggle’s making the rounds of the Arrowverse; otherwise there was no particular reason for Diggle to appear other than bringing the Macguffin to fight Godspeed, which didn’t even survive the episode.

Speaking of good payoffs, two of the three plot threads, Allegra and Kramer, I don’t particularly care for. They better be somehow connected to Godspeed in some fashion or else the writers are just wasting our time.

S07E17 Heart of the Matter, Part 1

XS AND IMPULSE SURPRISE BARRY AND IRIS IN THE 150TH EPISODE OF “THE FLASH” - Barry (Grant Gustin) and Iris (Candice Patton) greet their future children, XS (guest star Jessica Parker Kennedy) and Bart (guest star Jordan Fisher), only for a shocking secret to threaten their new familial harmony. Meanwhile, the Godspeed war intensifies and threatens to destroy Central City.

Where has this quality of writing been? It was by no means the level of Superman & Lois or even Legends of Tomorrow, but it was much better than anything we’ve previously seen this season.

I like Bart/Impulse. Both his costume and personality hew fairly closely to the comics version. And he already comes with his own nemesis. Nora appears to have matured some. I guess all her childish, annoying traits got moved to her kid brother. I noticed that her speed lightning is purely purple now, whereas OG-Nora had both purple and yellow lightning. It’s Bart who now has the yellow lightning.

It was great seeing Jay Garrick again. And Cisco. Maybe we could get Timeless Wells back for the finale next week.

S07E18 Heart of the Matter, Part 2

SEASON FINALE - The Flash enlists a host of speedster allies, including Iris and his children from the future - Bart (guest star Jordan Fisher) and Nora West-Allen (guest star Jessica Parker Kennedy) - to end the speedster war and defeat a deadly new adversary: the villainous Godspeed (guest star Karan Oberoi).

So that happened.

I predicted earlier that Godspeed wouldn’t be defeated by the Power of Love and indeed he wasn’t. Instead he was defeated by the Power of Hate. Namely, Eobard Thawne’s hate for Barry Allen, so much so that he couldn’t countenance anyone else killing him. And so the Reverse Flash returns once again.

The various Speed Powers like Nora’s whip and Bart’s throwing stars were goofy but fun. I’m fine with goofy but fun. It’s a comic book superhero show after all.

This whole finale just served to highlight the things that were wrong with the season, such as:

• Why were the Godspeeds fighting among themselves?

• The missing Ralph Dibny. Could we bring back him now? He was goofy but fun.

• They killed off Ultraviolet just so Allegra would feel bad and wouldn’t be able to power Chester’s MacGuffin. A pep talk cheered her right back up.

• To no one’s surprise, Kramer was a meta. She didn’t need to be, as her story in the back half of the season was completely pointless. She served some purpose in the front half, as she got Frost in jail. But then Frost got out right quick so even that was rendered moot.

• Chillblaine never went anywhere and I’m fine with that.

I thought that was because they were…speed clones? time clones? some kind of clones, anyway, of Godspeed, and Godspeed was obsessed with absorbing the Speed Force from other speedsters to fuel his own artificial speed and become the Fastest Man Alive, so all his clones had the same obsession, so they were attacking each other to absorb each others’ Speed, and eliminate each other as rival speedsters. Although, that doesn’t explain why they seemed to be divided into factions…

Between all the rumors about Candace Patton leaving the series, the return of Reverse Flash and the wedding reenactment, I was getting some uncomfortable vibes at the end there, but nothing bad happened.

This is a Nora who didn’t grow up with her powers suppressed by a grieving Iris, so this Nora isn’t quite so impulsive and has a much better relationship with her mom (and a more normal relationship with her dad, who (in this timeline) she actually knew as a child).

P.S. Always disable your Cosmic Treadmill before putting it in the museum. I mean, it’s basic common sense.

I like a series that brings back characters whose actors are no longer associated with the show, because it makes sense that the characters are still in existence, rather than pretending that the characters disappear into nothingness when their actors’ contracts expire. Here’s to you Mega-Vibe and Thawne

I don’t like Kramer, and I really don’t like Joe’s admiration for her - she’s done nothing to earn his respect, but in spite of her erratic behavior he continues to believe that she’s a good person.

I thought the clones were fighting because half thought that once August Heart got his organic speed, he would destroy them. The other half either didn’t think so or only wanted to obey Heart, no matter what.

I was amazed that this season ended without a cliffhanger. Has this ever happened before on this show? I was sure something would happen, if not bad, at least surprising.

Like maybe Quicksilver showing up? /s

Talk about your cross-dimensional events.

If you actually remember that being laid out that clearly, I defer to you. Between the COVID disruptions and the general quality of the writing, this was (for me) a disjointed and incoherent season, and I could barely figure out what was going on in any particular episode, much less track the season-long arcs, such as they were.