The GAP - a new low in political correctness

No, sadly nowhere as good. (I loved those Virgin ads.) A lot of dancing, singing about different holidays around this time of the year, but missing the humor and spark of Chrismahannukwanzaa. Still, if it ticks off the “omg it’s only about Christ don’t even talk about those heathen celebrations in the last three months of the year” people, I can support it. (Please do better next time, Gap.)

Oh, and I’m another of the “need the store for the long inseam pants/jeans if I want to buy off the rack” types. They are pretty plain, when they’re not being all “I want to wear overpriced hoodies/t-shirts that look like everyone else’s.”

Hey, any way you benighted heathens want to celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is fine with me.

Someone’s going to make you regret you said that.

I don’t shop there because they don’t yet have a Geezer Gap. But I like the energy and athleticism of the ad. Can’t get worked up over the PC nature of it.

I haven’t gotten my copy yet…is Best Buy on the list this year? I need a flat screen TV.

I don’t shop at the Gap or Old Navy because of their commercials. I hate them so much…

Miley Cyrus converted to judaism? When did this happen?

Wow, you might be able to find something more trivial to get upset about if you tried REALLY REALLY hard.

Ramadan is already past.

Ramadan was in August, you stupid fucking infidel.

I’m all for bad jokes, but Jesus buddy, at least make it relevant.

ETA: Damnit Rhymer, you beat me to it

I’m getting old. I remember when people used to object to stores appropriating religion during the holiday season for commercial purposes (e.g., “Green Chri$tmas”). (Not that it really matters that much to me since I’m not among the faithful.)

As for the ad itself, I must be getting more tolerant (or apathetic) as I age. In the past, seeing the commercial twice would’ve been enough to make me want to go Elvis on my TV. Now, I can see myself lasting until just before Thanksgiving before getting that impulse.

Yep, and I still haven’t mailed out my happy belated Ramadan cards.

For those of you who didn’t get Ludovic’s reference, the line about Ramadan comes from the infamous “Most Unwanted Music”. This is one of two songs developed based on a poll about what things people did and did not like in music. Two unpopular genres were holidays songs and commercial jingles*, so throughout the “Most Unwanted Music” a chorus of children (people also disliked singing children) encourages listeners to do their holiday shopping at Wal-Mart. This isn’t limited to winter holidays, but holidays throughout the year including Easter, Labor Day, and of course Ramadan.

*Poll respondents also disliked opera, rap, and cowboy songs, so of course the “Most Unwanted Music” features an operatic soprano rapping about being a cowboy.

Even the word “holiday,” as I like to point out, is offensive to those who do not believe in the concept of holiness. Holiday literally means holy day; what if I’m grievously offended at the mention of holiness or holy days? There are lots of atheists out there, you know. We don’t want to hear about your fucking stupid “holy” superstitions. I don’t want to be reminded of the stupid non-existent concept of “holiness” every time I see your advertisements.

I suggest it be changed to “event day.”

Yes. Exactly. This times a billion. Also, high-five of commiseration for being tall women. (WTF, seriously, do they think we just stop at, oh, 5’8" or so?)

No. That still suggests something is happening. I propose “day day.*”

*Nothing to see here; move along.

Well, you really ought to. There’s nothing to see up here and you still can’t dunk.

Is The Gap also the outfit that ran the “Happy Christmahanukwanzakah to you!” ads a couple of years ago?

Post 20:

We don’t? :dubious: That’s about exactly where I stop(ped).

Quiet, little man, or I shall spit on the part of your hair.

*A *woman may. (I grant you leave to do so, quite magnanimously.) *The range of *women does not.