The Great Ongoing Revolving Speakership of the 118th Congress {Mike Johnson is new speaker as of 2023-10-25}

Now there’s a profile in courage!

“I don’t know how I’ll vote, until I see how others are voting, so I can be on the right side.”

“You don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows”

The 12th Amendment says that anyone ineligible to be elected president cannot be VP. But I don’t think that applies to the rest of the line of succession. If Biden wins and the Dems take back the House next year, it seems to me they could elect Obama as Speaker, then Biden and Harris could both start feeling a little under the weather…

Now that would make MAGA heads explode.

I’m beginning to wonder if we ought to start naming House sessions, as has been done from time to time with Parliaments in England. There have been several Goods, a couple of Bads, a Drunken and a Barebone’s, to name a few; but the one that comes to mind is the Addled:

Lasting only two months and two days, it saw no bills pass and was not even regarded as a parliament by its contemporaries. However, for its failure it has been known to posterity as the Addled Parliament.

(Emphasis added)

My Ouija board is sulking and Mariah isn’t leaving enough goat entrails around to be examined, but I have a feeling that from this point on the current session is going to resemble the highlighted section.

If Obama is “ineligible to be President,” then I don’t think he’s eligible to be “acting President,” either.

However (I heard “here we go again” - I’ll have to dig up my past posts on this subject - here’s one from 2012), technically, Obama is not “ineligible to be President.” He is ineligible to be elected President. I don’t see anything in the Constitution that says that he cannot become President through other means.

(22nd Amendment, Section 1, first sentence: “No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice.”)

Right, that was my reasoning.

ETA: @OttoDaFe 3 posts up.

Well much like the Parliaments of yore, we do have a lot of “rotten boroughs” although not in the sense the term was used back then. Ours are simply filled with rotten voters and plenty of 'em. Who elect rotten reps.

And mine is that, since he is “eligible” to be President, he can become Vice-President. He may even be eligible to be elected Vice-President.

But enough about this tangent - back to the Speakership vote. I assume the next one will be after Bilirakis returns from his mother-in-law’s funeral; he’s supposed to back in DC around 6:00 Eastern, but then there’s the traffic from Reagan International to the Capitol.

Ah, right - the last sentence of the 12th doesn’t say “elected”.

I don’t know if you meant this to be funny but it cracked me up.

Haha yeah there was some sarcasm there. Gaetz is many things, but a master strategist isn’t one of them.

You’ve probably seen this:

“I don’t really understand why trying to move the House into a more conservative position, trying to get a more conservative House speaker would draw the ire of conservatives,”

Well, Mr. Congressman, it’s because your definition of “conservative” is very different from the historic meaning of that term. Also, the freedom caucus is, what, 10 members? You have 10 out of 435 representatives in the house. Where does this entitlement come from that your 10 members should have complete say over everything for the entire country?

I ask knowing full well that he knows this and does not care. This is how fascists think.

ETA: ok so its more like 45 members, but the point still stands. They are out of step with the vast majority of the country.

Tha’s gotta be from the Onion, right?

Why was Connolly booed for voting Jeffries? He’s a Democrat.

Rep. Chip Roy on Fox News: “You know who is opposing Jim Jordan? Appropriators and people who like the power of the defense industry and money in this town. That has to end. It ends now. That’s what this battle is all about.”

Not sure that’s going to persuade the hold outs to come around, Chip.

[Emphasis mine:]

While nominating Jordan for the job, Stefanik claimed that he “is the voice of the American people who have felt voiceless for far too long. Whether as judiciary chair, conservative leader, or representative for his constituents in West Central Ohio, whether on the wrestling mat or in the committee room, Jim Jordan is strategic, scrappy, tough and principled.”

The “wrestling mat” comment may not have left the impression Stefanik intended.

Someone replied:

Jim Jordan wasn’t a voice for the voiceless on that wrestling mat. He covered up sexual abuse for years.

I keep hearing about Jordan saying inane things, and now he’s being considered for Speaker of the House. I think before he’s elected Speaker, his inaction on the wrestling matter should get more publicity.

I’m not sure that he does know that. I’ve known people with a lot more brains than he seems to have who were convinced that most people in the country agree with them, based solely on the fact that most of their friends and most of what they chose to read agreed with them.

I think at least some of the people who stormed the Capitol really thought that most of the country would rise up and join them.

I thought this was amusing: swing district Representative Nick LaLota posted his four demands to support a Speaker. Number 1: Keep the government open “while cutting spending.” The next three items: spending on things that benefit his district.