The Great Summer 2022 Doper Postcard Exchange!

Northern Piper, melodyharmonius and jayrey have run them in the past, and they’re always fun, but it’s been awhile.

Here’s how it works (as adapted from NP’s previous thread). Our rules, by the numbers, and written with past PE problems in mind:

1. If you want to get three (3), count 'em, THREE! postcards from witty and intelligent Dopers from around the world, just sign up here, and send me a PM with your real-life name and postal address. (You know, post - you put a stamp on it, put it in a mailbox, and a postal carrier will pick it up and deliver it - I’m sure if you’ve forgotten how to do it, it’ll come back to you before you know it). Cut-off for signing up is noon EST on Tues. June 28. I’ll take all the names and addresses received by PM by that date, and will then send out PMs to each of you with the names and addresses of the three Dopers to whom you’ll send postcards.

2. In your PM, please include your mailing info in this format:

Myusername
Firstname Lastname
1234 Any Street
Anytown OH 12345

Or the equivalent format for non-U.S. addresses, with your country on the bottom line. Thanks.

1. Please, don’t sign up unless you intend to do your very best to participate. I’ll try to ensure that everyone gets at least one postcard from someone in another country, if possible. This obviously depends on sufficient world-wide Dopers signing up.

2. You then purchase three (3!) postcards which you want to share with other Dopers. It’s up to you what themes to select. Local color is always good, especially if you’re sending it to an overseas Doper. Don’t wait until the last minute to get your postcards (museums, art galleries, historic site gift shops and local visitors bureaus are good sources) or to buy appropriate postage (remembering that domestic and international postage will likely differ). Bear in mind that some Dopers have small children, so nothing X-rated on your postcards, please.

3. Address your postcards. Write a short, clearly-written message to the Doper, who is going to be just thrilled to hear from you. Be sure to use your SDMB username, so they know who sent it to them. Get the right kind of stamps and put them on the postcards. Put the postcards in your local mail slot, and off they go!

4. There is no Rule 6.

5. Deadline for posting your postcards will be two weeks later, by Tues. July 12. Report here as soon as you’ve posted them (not when you intend to, but after you’ve actually dropped them in the mail, please).

6. Gird your loins and wait with saintly patience (this is particularly hard for some Dopers, I remember well from previous threads). Soon enough, postcardy goodness will arrive in your mailbox.

7. Report back here every time you get a Doper postcard. Huzzah!

And we’re off…

I’m in. PM sent!

Great! For others, please see Rule 2 as to formatting of your PMs. Thanks, all!

My first time. Hopefully I get better results with postcards than with the Death Pool.

I’m in! Just to be clear, we will be sending a total of three post cards, right? I was confused and sent out nine post cards last year, but nobody slapped me with a dead fish or anything…

I’m glad we keep up the tradition! PM sent.

Yes, JD42, we’ll each send three postcards. See Rules 1 and 4.

:thinking: Hmmmm, I’d better check my postcard stash for one with a dead fish…just in case :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m in! Sent info.

Judging from the wonderful cards I already got from @blondebear, I bet he has one with a dead fish, maybe even one made out of fish skin :wink:.

Count me in. PM sent!

I’m in!

I’m in, PM sent, stamps and postcards purchased.

I’m in also!:email:

Now that’s a thought which is going to fester …

Add my toadying to the tumult … I’m in!

I’m in! Thank you, @Elendil_s_Heir! My properly-formatted PM has been sent.

Bloody apple polisher, what are ya? :upside_down_face:

International-formatted PM has been sent.

I will buy and send a total of 3 postcards, one per person.

Unless I receive a special request via PM. :innocent:

I’m in, PM sent.

I’m in! I have many postcards