The Herald: Restoration

I have to decide whether to restore the '63 Herald, or to sell it. I’m anxiously awaiting my '66 MGB. Once it comes home, I doubt the Herald will see much use. Short-term finances are looking ‘okay’ at the moment, and long-term prospects are slightly favourable. The real issue is space. This is what I want done if I decide to keep the Triumph:
[ul][li]Remove body (The three sections are held on by only a few bolts)[/li][li]Fix the small rust spot and smooth the few ripples[/li][li]Paint the body inside and outside in Signal Red (I have a chip)[/li][li]Paint the frame Signal Red[/li][li]Paint the suspension black[/li][li]Re-hang doors and shim body sections to fit[/li][li]Reupholster in black vinyl[/li][li]Refinish the rubber bumper facings in white (Paint them?)[/li][li]Make sure all the electricals work[/li][li]Fix odometer[/ul][/li]The rust spot is not very big at all, so it shouldn’t be a problem. The car runs very well. Its brakes have been fixed and it sports new tires. (Or tyres.) Rubber seals are on their way from England. There’s a ripple or two on the top of one of the fenders, but extremely minor. Unfortunately I don’t have the experience to undertake a restoration myself. I don’t even have a garage. (I’m seriously considering having one built this Winter.) Bottom line: This is an excellent candidate for restoration. Should be an easy job for someone who does this for a living.

So about how much would this cost? The MGB is costing about $20,000. I could have saved money and 2½ years by just buying one already restored. Live and learn. Of course the MGB had significant rust and required a lot of new sheet metal, the engine needed to be rebuilt, and I sourced an overdrive transmission for it. It’s almost as if it were being built new at the factory. The Herald has several advantages including the near-lack of rust, an engine that was rebuilt in the 1990s, and that it’s generally in very good condition.

Reasons to restore:
[ul][li]It’s a cool car that’s not often seen[/li][li]It attracts a lot of attention[/li][li]It’s a good candidate because of its completeness and running condition[/li][li]It’s a nice ‘first car’ for a collection[/li][li]It’s dead sexy[/li][li]My friends want me to keep it[/ul][/li]Reasons not to restore:
[ul][li]It won’t be used much when the MGB comes[/li][li]The cost of the restoration cannot be recouped when it’s sold[/li][li]No place to store it out of the weather until I get a garage[/li][li]I got it accidentally in the first place[/ul][/li]So opinions? Cost?

I say sell them both. Don’t sink any more money into them than you’ll need to in order to get a good price.

Sink the cash back into that 911 you’ve been talking about. You’ll get the perfomance and joy of owning a truly sporting car with pedigree and rich history. What’s more, you will not be sacrificing any comfort, utility or storage space.

The Porsche will be newer and a lot more fun to drive. You know it will. :smiley:

If english cars are your thing, consider an E class coupe.

Too late for the MGB. I paid for it a couple of years ago. It’s just taking forever to get done.

911s are fun. They’re certainly faster and more maneuverable than the MGB. But a '66 MGB was my first car. Sentimentality counts.

My mom almost got a '66 E-type. Only she had a little kid, and the E-type didn’t have a back seat. Hence, the MG. I like the looks of an E-Type, but I just don’t think I’d enjoy it as much as the MG.

The only question is whether to restore and keep the Triumph, or to sell it.

It doesn’t sound like you’re willing to part with either car. Sure, storage is a problem but you’re willing to live with that. I can appreciate what you’re going though. I once had a sailboat that I loved. I bought it for $9,000 and restored it for an additional $10,000. For my trouble, I sailed a boat for a number of years that was worth maybe the original $9K. But it had beautiful crips new sails and fresh gelcoat and paint both top and bottom, new electronics, fresh lines, rebuilt winches and new tinted windows.

It looked great. Until I stored it for a couple of years while working abroad and came back to a boat that was broken into, looted and entirely stripped.

Talk about heartbreak.

The moral of the story… no matter what your attachement is to a car/boat/etc… if you don’t use it, don’t hang on to it. Enjoy it or sell it to someone else to enjoy.

And I still say, buy the Porsche. :wink: