The Hitler surname

Schicklgruber->Hiedler->Hitler

Wooosh!

I thought Michael Palin as Goebbles was a nice touch.

Michael Palin played Bimmler in that sketch, didn’t he?

Now a dog named “Nigger” I’d definitely have a problem with. A cat named “Hitler” doesn’t seem so bad. Maybe because of the whole “Cats Who Look Like Hitler” thing. But if the people scared you or the staff, then okay. I guess I would have given them a chance first though. Although I would NOT give a chance to the people with the Lab. Or I’d tell them flat-out they’d have to give the dog some other name for my records and to use while in my office.

Well I hope some vet somewhere agreed to care for the Hitler cat, who didn’t do anything to deserve being stuck with possibly unsavory owners. :frowning:

Watch “The Dam Busters”
Apparently in the WWII era it was common, and apparently not necessarily evil to call black labs by that name. Maybe your not-client was an old Brit fly boy.

Yes. I used to teach at the University of Toronto, and one of my colleagues had an undergraduate student named Adolf Hitler. I learned of this Hitler initially because students using the timesharing server were complaining on the local newsgroups about seeing someone logged in with the name “Adolf Hitler” when they used the finger command. The computer lab staff had to patiently explain that no, the system hadn’t been hacked, and yes, Adolf Hitler was the real name of the student. I later found out that one of my friends was teaching this guy. I asked about him, and my friend said he was Indian and seemed like a nice guy.

Is this thread exempt from Godwin’s law?

It should be remembered that the family name was originally spelled Heidler and or Hiedler before Hitler’s father Alois changed it (for reasons uncertain). There were never many and it was mostly a custom alteration.

Yes

Plus, as an added bonus you’ve won the thread by being the first to invoke the corollary:
As an online discussion of Hitler grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning Godwin approaches one.

But we invoked Nemo’s Law first: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a Monty Python reference approaches one.

Practically, that is a problem. If I do not want do business with someone, it is easy to tell them that and be OK with the laws and rules under which I work. If I establish a relationship (by accepting money for service) it is then harder to tell them to go away. I am licensed by the state, and there are rules in addition to laws that I must follow.

I know, it’s a tough situation. I don’t think you were wrong for giving them the boot: you have to do what you think is best for you and the employees. When I said I would have given them a chance, I wasn’t thinking of myself as a vet but rather in another line of business. Well I really wasn’t thinking of all the ramifications; just that I felt bad for the kitty.

I can see your point that it would be easier to never start a relationship rather than start one and then try to end it.

Aside, I am stunned that someone would admit to another random person he named his dog that horrible name. “Hitler” on a mustachioed cat is kind of amusing. (Maybe it shouldn’t be.) The dog’s name is just hateful.