This might just be the kinds of protests and activist event I end up attending, mind you - I’m more likely to be at an anti-GBV or Women’s Rights thing nowadays given the groups I’m currently actively working with. I did a little asking around, and at other events it’s the genocide bit that gets more attention, I’m told.
Let’s not make this thread about Gaza please. It’s not only those more focused on Gaza who ignore Sudan. It is very generalized: it doesn’t fit into clear pre established narratives of what side is good or bad. Or neither side is “like me”. Or just too big to attend to and no obvious thing to do.
I dont think that’s the problem. The RSF are Arab supremacist Muslim supremacist anti-Black fanatics who want to ethnically cleanse Sudan.
The Sudanese government sucks in a lot of ways and has some shitty allies but there’s really no comparison here. Maybe we could leverage intervention to change it for the better, too. For example, we could offer aid while requiring them to kick out the hardliner islamist and anti-black parts of their coalition.
The obvious thing to do if we don’t like how Sudan and their allies are fighting the RSF is to help them by lending the necessary firepower and manpower to end the conflict while requiring them to take more humanitarian care in the fight.
Heavily arming one side, which is itself guilty of major crimes against humanity, so they can win the war, is a definite option. Not sure honestly that it is the best one. Not gonna happen though, nothing gonna happen, if the public doesn’t care and there is no self interest involved.
So other than no self interest involved why do you think so few care, so few even know, about the world’s largest humanitarian crisis? No gatekeepers that only Gaza and being against Israel matters are not the reason why across demographics, across partisan divides, across the world ..,
That wasn’t what I suggested. I said firepower and manpower because I don’t think that it is a good idea to hand Sudan a bunch of extra firepower; but showing up with both firepower and manpower to wield it means you can bring additional force to bear against the genocidal RSF without heavily arming Sudan’s own military.
That part is true. No one will step up to stop any of these sorts of situations unless they happen to find it convenient for other reasons.
To use an example from up thread, no one fought the Nazis to stop the Holocaust; that was just a side effect of their actual goal.
Because it isn’t politically beneficial to anyone to make it a central issue, so no one does. It really is that simple.
If Euro/US forces enter Africa in the needed number, we be stuck in a quagmire.
Every single Tribe, Clan and Nation would scream “COLONIALISM” and start shooting.