The horror of white socks with sandals

A former professor of mine wore argyle socks with his birkenstocks. Add to that the tweed jacket with suede elbow patches…

As for the crew sock vs. dress sock tradeoff, there is a compromise:

Black crew socks. I used to wear them when I wore black walking shoes to work.

Now I just wear white sneakers and white socks to work, no matter what kind of pants I’ve got on. Heck, lately I don’t even tie the sneakers unless we have customers in or something. :slight_smile:

I extend my Birk-wearing to three seasons by adding thin black or brown socks. When it gets cold I switch to clogs. I don’t care if it’s a fashion faux pas or I look stupid. I like how I look and dress for me.

P3 – Push 'em down, push 'em down, waaaaaay down.

But don’t wear ankle socks with little pom-pom things on the back, unless you’re on a tennis court in 1983.

:: Backs away from his desk, looks down… OH THE HORROR ::

I agree with Frick. I’m 40 years old now and frankly I don’t care. I work in a very casual environment. Shorts, jeans whatever. I always where jeans and occasionally shorts. With shorts I don’t generally wear socks. But with jeans sure.

I have an embarrasing confession to make. I am wearing sandals with no socks at work. I just noticed that my feet stink. A lot. My cubical partners have all mysteriously left early this afternoon.

Can I borrow a pair of socks from anyone?

I am kind of ashamed to admit it, but I’m a semi-fashion conscious geek. When I’m wearing dark pants(a very rare occasion) I make it a point to wear dark socks. I also hate wearing those damn thin dress socks that make my feet feel like they’re wearing unlubricated condoms in a sandpaper shoe. But I avoid the fashion faux pas quite cleverly. I wear a pair of white socks under my dark socks. That’s right, comfortable, thick white crew socks, with a fashionable overlayer of dark, with cool patterns to boot. Now my secret is out.

Steven