The Human Body as Art

I saw a show on the Discovery Channel, I think it was Beyong Bizarre, where some guy displayed preserved, skinned human bodies in his castle. He was a weird guy (duh). He also collected horses’ mouths. Does anyone know what I’m talking about? Can you help me find out more about this dude and his collection?

I also read a newspaper artical a few years back about an art exibition of preserved, disected human bodies, posed in everyday activities. I think it was in Germany, but could be wrong. As I recall, there was a bit of controversy surrounding it, expectedly. I haven’t heard of it since I read it in the paper. Is it still on exhibit? Does the gallery have a web page? My morbid curiosity is killing me!

Weird.

Yes, the Germans skinned Jews tattoos during the war & put the tattoos up for display. Gross.

I know. Penn Gellette has one framed in his house. Along with Liza Minelli’s unwashed panties. Both equally startling.

But That’s not what I’m looking for. This artist aquired bodies, had them skinned, and dipped in some laquer-like solution that sealed them, and gave them a nice semi-gloss sheen. IIRC, one display was of mother and baby, skinned and disected, nursing. I am just wondering if the exhibit was closed, is touring, and if I can find it on the web. I’ve come up with nothing. Any help you veteran Dopers can provide will be much appreciated.

and, um, the show was Beyond Bizarre.

I’ve never heard of anything like that in Germany, but I have heard of a tatoo museum in Japan where they have preserved human tatooed skin.

I guess that’s not exactly what you were looking for.

Perhaps you could e-mail the Discovery channel and ask? There may just be some nice person working there who’d answer your question for you.

“The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.” Albert Einstein

I think I found part of what you were looking for here:
http://www.newsoftheweird.com/cgi-bin/search/newsweird.cgi

Yes, I really don’t have anything better to do on a Saturday night, sad isn’t it?

Oops, that didn’t work right. Just type in “preserved” in the search blank and it will be the fourth entry.

that might be it, Tatertot. Thanks. Now I have a name and gallery to search for. I’m sure it will be a huge help.

Now If I could just get laid…