"The Jazz Singer"

This movie is about a young boy, who decides not to continue in the family tradition of being a cantor, and leaves home to start performing blackface in minstrel shows.

Al Jolson’s biography said that he did not want to follow in his father’s footsteps and become a cantor, and leaves home to start performing blackface in minstrel shows.

Coincidence–or was Jolson’s biography rewritten to resemble his most famous role.

I have been told that George Jessle turned down the “Jazz Singer” role before it was offered to Jolson.

Doug is right about Jessel, but that doesn’t necessarily mean the movie isn’t based on Jolson’s life. The writer may have used Jolsen as inspiration before he came on to the production, or Jolson might have suggested the change during production.

I doubt it is mere coincidence.

I always assumed the movie was loosely based on Jolson’s life. But according to the IMDB, not only was Jessel offered the movie role - he was the star of the stage version. Eddie Cantor was also offered the role and turned it down. Knowing these items makes it harder to believe the script (or the play) was written with Jolson in mind.

Either Jolson borrowed the story for his biography or there was a whole swack of rebellious sons of cantors going into the entertainment biz.

I wonder what Larry Parks’s biography has to say?