The last stand against the evil that is "LOL"

My dear fellow citizens! Many a time I have lurked in these lands, and I am greatly saddened to bring to your attention the woe that is about to fall upon our once fair and graceful Kingdom, long live Cecil, may his Glory reign forever!

I have detected a disturbance in the land, yea, a great evil has arisen. It has insideously crept into our midst, undetected like the worm in an apple. However, it is not to be ignored! It wil hollow us out, and leave us empty and a mere shell of our former glory!

it is… the curse of the [sub]LOL[/sub].

BEWARE! Gaurd yourselves in these last days, I implore you! Save yourselves from this impending doom, this creeping death that threatens to infect every household, yea, silence the grace of every babe. Barricade your doors! Seal your windows! Do not let your guard down, for that is when the [sub]LOL[/sub] shall strike. Yea, I tell you the truth, this land will not be spared, but we, the people of SDMB, loyal subjects of Cecil, may his glory live forever, must survive! We must hold on to our dear traditions, and rail against the forces of ignorance and wilful disbelief!

Protect yourself, for the end is neigh. Beware the curse of the [sub]LOL[/sub]

lol.

I hate it too. It doesn’t even sound like you’re laughing out loud!

::guffaw::
I thought nobody did that on the SDMB?

OMFG!!!1111one! Lyk if u d0//7 no LOL i5 73h 5uxx02 n00b!!!11

I don’t know about anyone else but Here? Unless as a joke like the first responder said, I wouldn’t dare. :smiley: I don’t remember, if I’ve ever slipped up in here before, but I certainly try to censor myself regarding net terms that are common in IM or chat rooms.

They make sense in IM, because generally you have a much more casual conversation taking place, and they make a lot MORE sense in a chat room, since the damn lines go by so fast (I think that’s 90 percent of the reason I’ve gravitated toward boards, rather than chatrooms in my old age, my eyes just can’t quite keep up the pace).

Lol! Omg! How Can You Tell By What I Am Writeing That I M Only Thirteen!!!1

dammit. It killed my all caps

heh heh…

Isn’t there a 'translation" website that will turn any phrase into teen or “leet” speak?

At any rate, the chatroom to which I used to belong wasn’t of that variety, it was a Trivial Pursuit one. The folks were very similar to those here at the SDMB actually, most quite intelligent. Specially the ones who always had all the obscure historical or art questions.

But, thanks to the 25 people both playing the game, and having 10 different conversations all at the same time, and on the same screen, we did resort to a few of the more popular shortcuts such as LOL.

LOL isn’t l33tspeak, it’s a classy internet born acronym that’s been around forever. “lol” in lowercase is, however. If you don’t see the difference, you’ll never get it.

Hmmm, based on my time in Trivial Pursuit, I always thought of LOL as an actual giggle or laugh, and lol as the internet version of a grin or smile, since you couldn’t post smilies on a chatroom line, unless you wanted to do a lame old style emoticon one ala :wink: . Guess I don’t “get it”.

Oh rats, that was supposed to be a text smilie…Oh well, you get the picture.

You can kill the icon with the “Disable smilies in text” check box: :).

Weeell, I didn’t want to point out actual people, but surely you have noticed certain… offenders… around lately? Hint: starts with “araq” and rhymes with “van”.

There are far more such offenders, but I can’t recall who they are at the moment, and the search doesn’t take words ith only 3 letters. Whoever you guys are, knock it off.

There’re tons.

+0 |}3, 0|2 ||0+ +0 |}3: +|-|@+ 1$ +|-|3 q||3$+10||:
\X/|-|3+|-|3|2 '+1$ ||0|}|3|2 1|| +|-|3 |/|1||[) +0 |_||=|=3|2 +|-|3 |1||6$ @||[) @|2|20\X/ 0|= 0|_|+|2@630|_| |=0|2+|
0|2 +0 +@|<3 @|2|/| @6@1|\|+ @ 3@ 0|= +|20|_||}|3,
@||[) |}/ 0|*|*0$1|\|6 3|\|[) +|-|3|\/|? +0 [)13: +0 $|33|*; |\|0 |\/|0|23; @|\|[) |}/ @ |33|* +0 @/ \X/3 3|\|[) +|-|3 |-|3@|2+-@(|-|3 @|\|[) +|-|3 +|-|0|_|$@|\|[) |\|@+|_||2@| $|-|0(|<$ +|-|@+ |=|3$|-| 1$ |-|31|2 +0, '+1$ @ (0|\|$|_||\/||\/|@+10|\| [)3\/0|_|+|/ +0 |}3 \X/1$|-|’[). +0 [)13, +0 |33|*; +0 |33|: |3|2(|-|@||(3 +0 [)|23@|/|: @/, +|-|3|23'$ +|-|3 |2|_||}; |=0|2 1|\| +|-|@+ $|33|* 0|= [)3@+|-| \X/|-|@+ [)|23@|\/|$ |\/|@/ (0|/|3
\X/|-|3|| \X/3 |-|@/3 |-||_||=|=|3[) 0|=|= +|-|1 |/|0|2+@| (01|,
|/||_|+ 61\/3 |_| |
@||3: +|-|3|23' +|-|3 |23$|3(+
+|-|@+ |/|@|<3$ (@|@|/|1+/ 0|= $0 |0|\|6 |1|=3; |=0|2 \X/|-|0 \X/0|_||[) |}3@|2 +|-|3 \X/|-|1|*$ @|\|[) $(0|2|\|$ 0|= +1|\/|3, +|-|3 0|*|*|23$$0|2'$ \X/|20|\|6, +|-|3 |*|20|_|[) |\/|@|\|'$ (0|\|+|_||\/|3|/,
+|-|3 |
@||6$ 0|= [)3$|*1$3[) |0/3, +|-|3 |@\X/’$ [)3|@/, +|-|3 1|\|$0|3|\|(3 0|= 0|=|=1(3 @|\|[) +|-|3 $|*|_||2|\|$ +|-|@+ |*@+13|\|+ |\/|3|21+ 0|= +|-|3 |_||\|\X/0|2+|-|/ +@|<3$,
\X/|-|3|| |-|3 |-|1|/|3||= |\/|16|-|+ |-|1 q|
|13+|| |\/|@|&lt;3 \X/1+|-| @ |}@|23 |}0[)|&lt;1|\|? \X/|-|0 \X/0|_||[) |=@|2[)3| |}3@|2,
+0 6|2|
|||+ @||[) $\X/3@+ ||||[)3|2 @ \X/3@|2/ |1|=3, |}|_|+ +|-|@+ +|-|3 [)|23@[) 0|= $0|\/|3+|-|1|\|6 @|=+3|2 [)3@+|-|, +|-|3 |_||\|[)1$(0\/3|2'[) (0|_||\|+|2/ |=|20|/| \X/|-|0$3 |}0|||2||
||0 +|2@/3||3|2 |23+|||2||, |*|_|zz|3 +|-|3 \X/1||
@||[) |/|@|<3$ |
|$ |2@+|-|3|2 |}3@|2 +|-|0$3 1|| \X/3 |-|@\/3 +|-|@|\| |=|`/ +0 0+|-|3|2 +|-|@+ \X/3 |<||0\X/ ||0+ 0|=?
+|-||| (0|\|(13||(3 [)03$ |/|@|<3 (0\X/@|2[) 0|= |_| @||;
@||[) +|-||
|$ +|-|3 ||@+1/3 |-|||3 0|= |23$0|||+10||
1$ 1(|<|13[) 0'3|2 \X/1+|-| +|-|3 |*@|3 (@+ 0|= +|-|0|_|6|-|+,
@||[) 3||+3|2|
|21$3$ 0|= 6|23@+ |1+(|-| @||[) |/|0|/|3||+
\X/1+|-| +|-|1$ |236@|2[) +|-|31|2 (|||2|23||+$ +|||2|| @\X/|2/, @|\|[) |0$3 +|-|3 |\|@|\/|3 0|= @(+10|\|.-- $0|=+ /0|_| ||0\X/!
+|-|3 |=@1|2 0|
|-|3|1@! ||/|\/||*|-|, 1|\| +|-|/ 0|21$0||$
|}3 @|| |/|`/ 1|\| |23|/|3|/||}3|2’[).

Hamlet (III, i, 56-61)

It’s not necessarily a sign that the end is nigh. Nigher, perhaps.

L337? Hell ya, Hamlet is l337. (Swearing, crude humor, etc)

I prefer “lawl” or “roofle”, myself.

I have used LOL or ROFL only on those rare occasions where I have actually LOL’d or come pretty darn close to ROFL (I try not to actually roll on my floor since it’s cold and covered with cat hair). On rare occasions where something really is hilariously funny and you just need a quick way to express it I have no problem with using these, unless it is the only thing posted in a MB post, LJ’s or IM conversations are fine for this in limited amounts.

What I don’t like are MB posts that are only an LOL or ROFL, to me this is just a way to drive up your post count without actually saying anything. If everyone who was amused by a post did this we’d have dozens if not hundreds of these posts. If something was really funny and you want to express that then say, “LOL, I just spewed coffee out my nose and all over the monitor! And it hurt!” At least you took time to elaborate on your amusement. Or say your “LOL” and then add something else to the conversation.

The absolute worst offenders are those who seem to think that LOL is some form of punctuation that is better than a period, or they are just insane.

Someone who laughs out loud all the time like that is obviously some sort of twitchy maniac who will be ascending a tower with a high-powered rifle any day now.

LOL!

If you don’t like LOL, how do you feel about ‘re’?

OMGWTFBBQ!!!1!!!1one This Thread Is teh Suxxorz.