The Magicians, rewatching

I forgot how really good and compelling this show was.

I described it once long ago as Narnia meets Harry Potter goes to Graduate school. Thing is, its better than either.

Of course I love all the references. Star Trek, Lord of the Rings and even Harry Potter among them.

Originally on SciFi channel.
Currently streaming on Netflix.

Is this the one with Quentin, Elliot and Margo or the one with the guy who used to be on ER? Hubby loved the one with the guy from ER and I was pretty meh about it, but the one with Quentin was friggin great.

I read somewhere that it got cancelled not because of ratings, but because it became too expensive to produce. Shame.

A ten second Google search woulda told me the one with Noah Wiley was called The Librarians.

Quentin, Margo and Elliot.

I think your thinking of The Librarians, which was good and fun but not great.

LOL, ninja’d

It’s certainly more adult than either.

I’ve watched the first season, and mostly enjoyed it, but haven’t yet gotten around to going on. Are later seasons better, worse, or about the same?

I loved the book trilogy, partly for the wonderful writing, which of course you don’t get in a screen adaptation.

I am a notorious series ditcher and I watched all the way until I found out it was cancelled in the middle of season 4. If the network isn’t invested, I’m not wasting my time. There are only 5 seasons, so it doesn’t have too much time to sink into suck.

I recall it being pretty solid all the way through. Most seasons start inconsistent but get better.

Season 4s final episode I remember being truly great.

The characters really kept growing, even the minor characters.

I read the first book and really enjoyed, and watched the corresponding seasons. The show was good, with a more than adequate level of production value, but it just became so juvenile and horny I couldn’t get into it.

Season 5 isn’t bad, but it’s sort of unnecessary at the same time. The final episode of Season 4 really would have made for a beautiful, satisfying ending.

I loved the books and was disappointed that the series took a different direction (especially with Julia). But I enjoyed it for what it was and loved the series Julia on her own merits.

I really enjoyed the book series and enjoyed the tv series (though I think it suffered from moving away from the books tbh). FWIW, I’d consider Harry Potter to be a better series :wink: . Narnia depends.

I was very excited when they were deciding who was going to face the big bad and the Harry Potter stand in told the Hermione stand in that she was the better/smarter one and it should be her, to hell with the whole chosen one bullshit. Of course then it was revealed that to face the big bad she needed a blessing from a god of fertility and it involved drinking a cup of hot jizz and ruined the whole thing.

I absolutely loved the show, especially seasons 2-4. My wife and I re-watched the whole show and…

I do think Season 5 was bad. Almost entirely. It was a shame.

If one of our kids pushes back on us at all, we always say, “Ohh…pushback fom the D- student!”

Note: Our kids get good grades, but this line always sticks out for us.

I think I’ll re-watch from the beginning and watch to the end of season 4 since I quit early into it.

Yes, and you should indeed stop with Season 4. It was clearly written with a potential finale in mind and it works quite well.

Where are people watching it? I originally watched it on Netflix but it doesn’t seem to be available any more.

I liked the books and the show, but in some ways I liked the show more, because the characters were a lot more appealing, especially Quentin.

In the books, Quentin isn’t appealing at all, but Jason Ralph’s portrayal just makes him delightful and witty and adorable.

A lot of the other characters are pretty dead on the page but brought to life wonderfully in the show, like Penny.

I’m watching in on Netflix.

1. I’m not watching it now, but we did watch it the most recent time on Netflix

2. Justwatch lists it still on Netflix in the United States.

3. I’m sure my library network has the Blu-ray sets available free of charge. My wife and I go to the library system(it is extensive in Michigan, state-wide I believe) and we can get most shows on DVD.

We too watched it on Netflix a few years ago. But I’m not getting the option, only a message that says they’ll tell me when it’s available again.

I think it’s the same issue I have with Hulu on this particular computer. Can’t watch Hulu at all because of the proxy crap my security uses. Suppose to be able to put sites on the exclude list but it won’t take. I’ll check Amazon Prime.