The Matrix - A Play On Christianity?

Heh. My religion midterm was on The Matrix.

The film does bear many parallels to Christianity, which have already been pointed out, but I think that the movie lends itself to a Gnostic Christian reading.

The Gnostics were an offshoot of Christianity who were denounced as heretics- they believed that man could elevate themselves to a God-like status, and that most of humanity needed to “wake up” and realize their true nature.

In this context, Neo would be the Gnostic Messiah- the one to make humanity wake up from the Matrix. Neo’s crew is an example of people who are also on their way to becoming completely self-aware beings, but are not as far advanced as Neo. The Gnostics saw this self-awakening as a long, difficult process wherein the end result was not necessarily a good thing.

BTW, the whodjamajiggit brothers have stated in interviews that the parallels were deliberate.

The whole movie strikes me as simply the myth of the hero’s quest - of which the story of Jesus is a part as well. Neo has a calling - leaves the comfort of home - wages a fight against the forces of evil - conquers them - and returns with a boon for mankind. While certain references are made to Christianity and eastern religion as well - on the whole, it seems, much like Star Wars, to be the classic myth wrapped in high-tech clothing.

And that’s why we find it so appealing.

Or something.

Of topic, but I would just like to put in another plug for this site. It’s pure comedy, it’s simply unbelievable.

“How the Grinch Stole Christmas”: has subject matter related to that which caused the Columbine massacre. Also his costume doesn’t cover his posterior well enough.
“Doug’s First Movie”: one child in the school wears a peace symbol, which turns out to be adopted from a satanic symbol.
“My Dog Skip”: inappropriate for kids because it shows a mother and father arguing.
“Rugrats, the Movie”: contains astrology and gambling, both of which are apparently evil.

If you don’t believe me, see it for yourself.

newbie warning

Interesting, BlackKnight. Biblically, Nebuchadnezzar (hereafter Neb) was the king of Babylon. In 2 Kings 24, Neb is presented as the authority against whom the people of Judah revolted: “During Jehoiakim’s reign, Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon invaded the land, and Jehoiakim became his vassal for three years. But then he changed his mind and rebelled against Nebuchadnezzar” (2 Ki 24:1). Later on, Neb goes on a vicious campaign against Jerusalem, eventually taking it (2 Ki 25). Oddly, though, Neb was sent ** in accordance to God’s wishes** (2 Ki 24:2b-3)

Two interesting interpretations come from these facts. First, it can be used to confirm that fundie review: Neb campaigned against the people of God. If that’s the case, then The Matrix, or at least the Neb, is against the people of God. This is the weaker of the two.

Second, if we accept the Matrix as sin, then the Neb is an unlikely force chosen by God to combat those who disobey him, which fits quite nicely with the biblical text.

Or we could be thinking way too hard about a movie.

/newbie warning