The Matrix

Nah, they’d just put on their sunglasses and flash you with the little red light thingy.

Trinity was seriously hot in the black latex, but how inconspicuous are you likely to be if you dress like that? For that matter, all the humans go to great lengths to look cool in the Matrix; natty black and white suits, sunglasses (pince-nez?! Gimme a break!) etc. I guess looking cool is part of human nature and to deny that is to… whatevah.

And correcting an earlier mistake of mine, the treacherous character was named Cypher. Switch was the woman with the short blonde hair. Hmm, with names like “Switch” and “Trinity”, is anyone else thinking threesome?

I’m also not entirely sure how anyone can take six or seven shots at point-blank range from a .50cal Desert Eagle and not have his organs spread all over the back wall. Neo just gets these tidy little red spots in his black turtleneck.

Maybe the agents are like the strangers in Dark City… or like the agents in Men in Black :).

Clean up crew to Jurgen Street! “Okay, everyone, take a look at the little red light. Now, you didn’t just see a guy cartwheel off a 75 story building and land safely, you saw someone commit suicide. (BLAM!) See, there’s the body!”

Yeah, I liked Dark City better. But for the embarrassingly clicheeistic happy end, it made a good piece of escapism. The Matrix, on the other hand, was entirely clicheeistic, from start to end.

See, I’d say that Trinity’s name did have significance. Trinity represented love. The Holy Trinity represents G-d, who is love. It was through Trinity’s love that Neo could rise from the dead.

And this coming from a Buddhist.

Hmmm…so I wonder if the David Copperfields and David Blaines of the matrix world are actually people who learned to manipulate the matrix?

How the Matrix could have been a great movie:

1. Instead of batteries, which makes no sense whatsoever, the justification for the Matrix should have been that the machines realized that a) they couldn’t co-exisit with humans, who wanted to kill them and that 2) they had developed a moral system that made wiping out humans unacceptable, so tehy constructed the Matrix as a compromise position. Notice, within this framwork, computers could still hate poeple, just feel morally obliged to keep them alive.

2. Trinity should have hated Neo to begin with. SHe should have been brimming over wiht rage that all her life she though she was “the one” and finally went to visit the oracle only to be told “No, dear, you aren’t the savior of mankind, but you get to be his girlfriend!” falling in love wiht him should have been something she fought with every fiber of her being, not something she obviously was trying to make happen in order to have him be “the one”.

The girl I was going out with at the time and I almost broke up over a fight we had about this movie.

The Bible is a common source for concepts because the entire story told in that book involves God’s Impact on Humanity. It also has shown us how our beliefs have an impact on technolgy today. Science Fiction uses the technology developed by Humanity, and predicts how this will affect the Universe or the World. You must remember that Science Fiction studies Human Impact, and a way to predict that impact is to study the history of Humanity.
Bibical references or themes are not only present in Science Fiction. C.S. Lewis’s The Chronicals of Narnia has several themes of Christianity, such as the resurrection of Aslan the Lion.

I thought it was a decent movie with some plot holes I could ignore b/c I was busy staring at “Tank” & wiping away the drool. :smiley: “Mouse” was pretty damn cute as well, albeit in a less overtly masculine way.

patchy? er, no. thats the garden of eden story. it follows with the whole religious theme.

[…William Wallace voice…]

Freeeedommm!

Yikes. […sigh…]