The meanie and her (soon-to-be) killer abs

This is pretty damn mundane, and I’d bet five nickels nobody cares, but I have no liked my abs in years. The rest of me is fine, but I’ve been wanting super tight, ultra firm, can bounce a quarter off of 'em abs for some time. I will soon have them. I’ve started an exercise routine that includes 20 daily minutes of crunches and other misc. abdominal exercises. It’s only day 2, I see no results yet, but I feel the burn. I’m on my way to the abs I’ve always wanted. Go me.

:cool:

That’s great news, Meanie!! I’m excited for you. I’m on day one, myself. I’ve got lots of other things to worry about (i.e. extra pounds), but the abs are important. Don’t forget the obliques!

That’s fabulous :wink:

When it comes to abs I just give up too easily. I feel the burn after about 10 reps and then I can’t be bothered to do any more.

Tell us more about your routine so we can emulate your fabulousness?

I almost didn’t do any this morning because I was too busy whining like a big baby. Waaaah, it’s hard work. My abs are sore. Then I got tough and starting yelling at myself, saying stuff like beauty is pain and discipline, yadda yadda. For 10 minutes I did everything on this page (minus that goofy outfit), plus regular crunches. I’ll do the sme thing for 10 more minutes before I go to bed. Such pain, but it’ll all be worth it when I have my washboard abs.

:frowning: :slight_smile:

Heh. That’s kinda funny. “My thighs are soooo thin, I have to strap little weights to the outside of my legs, otherwise I would get absolutely no workout at all…” :rolleyes:

Yay for you! I feel your pain.
I joined a gym back in February and was forcing myself to go 3 times a week…then it was twice…now I’m doing to good to go once a week.

I really did start noticing more definition around my arms and shoulders though after about 8 weeks.

My abs are not in bad shape but I want those rock hard ones also!

You have now motivated me to go back to the gym tonight and try to stick to the 3 times a week again. :smiley:

Oh, boy! Soon, when MeanOldLady bellies up to the bar, everyone will hear a clank. Drooling guys in the corner will nudge-and-whisper, “Man, she’s got a body you could roller skate on.”

I often wondered if it could be spelled AminoLady.

Heh, Ethilrist, I don’t wear that silly get up. :stuck_out_tongue:

Aries, do it, damn it! You’ll feel good. I’ve been asking myself what took me so long to finally get to it.

AskNott, :smiley:

I hate to burst your bubble, but crunches won’t get you a flat stomach, or define your abs.

That coveted six-pack is solely a function of how much fat you’ve got on your gut. If you’ve only got a little fat there, you can see the shape of your rectus abdominis, which is the muscle everyone knows. Problem is, your body sheds fat in a pattern that it likes, and there ain’t a damn thing you can do about it. Doing lots of crunches might make your abs bigger, but that won’t make them more visible.

Furthermore, the rectus abdominis isn’t even the right muscle to train if you want a flat stomach. The rectus abdominis runs from your ribs to your pubic bone, and serves to bring those two parts of you closer. It’s not capable of holding your stomach in. For that, you want to train your transversus abdominis. Most people don’t know that one, cause you can’t see it, but it’s there, and it’s important.

If you want washboard abs, you need low bodyfat levels, a strong transversus abdominis, and well-developed rectus abdominis. The techniques described here will help with the last two. As far as lowering bodyfat–well, everyone’s got an opinion on that. Just don’t count on crunches to burn any significant amount of calories.

ultrafilter,

started doing something similar in my car on the way to work. Lost a pants size in about a week and a half. Along with the “diet” I’m on. Two pounds, but a whole pants size isn’t too bad.

Wow, if you can do it, so can I. Just stick with it, I am holding my fingers crossed for you!

Wait one red hot minute. What the heck? So all this pain I’m feeling isn’t doing jack? So if I want to do something about just my abs, I’ll have to lower how much fat I eat everyday or just breathe really hard? If I eat less, all of me will get thinner. I don’t want that. Just abs. Err, I guess I’ll try power breathing. This had better work, ultrafiller. Or else… :wink:

Meanie, something you might want to think about is whether you want to do this to look better or to feel better. Because you can feel great and yet at the same time still not be satisfied with the appearance.

I thought about this too. Personally, I would lean towards feeling better. If I had more energy through the day, that means more to me than looking better.

Damn. I was all pumped up ready to join in on the bandwagon till I got to ultrafilter post. It was like letting the hot air out of a balloon. :frowning:

Oh well good luck on the washboard abs anyway.

No, no, no! Exercise good! Sloth bad! :mad:

: glares at ultrafilter :

Darn you and your fighting of ignorance!

Please exercise. Any way you can, as much as you can. You will feel better, look better, be stronger and healthier. Just, as they say, do it.

[quoting some female comic]

I’d rather wear black every day in August than ever do one sit up.
[/quote]

Yeah…I wasn’t 100% sure whether I should post that, but I like to err on the side of letting people know things…

It is good to exercise. I don’t think anyone will disagree with that. But you have to be smart about it. There’s another problem–doing lots of crunches without doing corresponding work for your lower back and inner abdominal muscles can throw your torso out of whack, and lead to lower back pain.

Personally, I feel that the best torso exercise out there is the military press, but not many people like that one.

If it weren’t for that “would”, I’d demand those five nickels now, going by the response so far :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh and good that you managed to follow through with it. So far I always convinced myself not to do it, when I had the idea to do some crunches.

As one trainer I talked to put it:

Eveyone’s muscles look like that, under the fat.

It’s the fat you really need to get rid of. Most of us adults aren’t so skinny that we’d look bad if we had a relatively low body fat percentage, oh, 10% for the men, and I think about 17% for the women. (Right?) Your muscles would show, and they’re always attached in the right places.

Ultrafilter’s right, you want to get rid of more fat, until your body decides to get rid of the belly fat and let your muscles show through.