The Midnight Sky (open spoilers)

Just happened to catch this yesterday not realizing it was just released on Netflix. Felt pretty epic with some grand set pieces and very high production value but still left me having more problems with it than satisfaction.
Just some random thoughts off the top of my head:
-If you’re going to pull the old “that character was just a figment of another character’s imagination” you can’t give the imaginary character solo scenes. Like having Iris see the mauled airplane pilot while Augustine was off somewhere else.
-The crashed airplane scene really served no purpose
-Since the crew was returning from one of Jupiter’s moons heading towards earth and the sun and went a bit off course they were still well within our immediate galaxy. Since we already have powerful telescopes viewing other galaxies how can they suddenly freak out because they have to pass through an “uncharted” part of space? I’d think our own galaxy would be plenty well mapped.
-Personal opinion but you don’t get to ignore your own kid for the first 30 years of their life then feel good about yourself cause you finally got to talk to them for a few minutes.
-Lastly, pregnant Iris and hubby are headed off to Jupiter moon to restart and save humanity? Can you really start to repopulate with 3 people? How does that work?

When the two male astronauts were leaving for Earth I wanted to yell at the screen, “Could you at least leave some sperm in the fridge before you go?”

The most egregious sin of the imaginary child twist is the big fat red herring the film throws at the audience at the beginning of the film. I spent half of the film wondering why that woman lied to the mom about her daughter getting on the helicopter.

Yes. And if it was an imaginary character, wether he realized her identity at first or not, why have a scene where he is trying to radio someone to come pick her up?

Just watched it. How could Maya be hit with a meteor, space debris or whatever large enough to cause that much physical damage / blood loss but not immediately depressurize her suit?

And good point about the imaginary kid, having scenes of her own and Clooney not recognizing her at first. Weird.

Has there ever been a spacewalk in a sci-fi movie where something didn’t go Horribly Wrong?

Wait, what was going on in that scene? I completely forgot about it, and I watched it only 12 hours ago.

ETA, never mind, now I remember the so-called point of it (I think) - red herring, like you said.

Very, very disappointing.

All those endless closeups of Clooney’s face - why?

Don’t most people freeze to death after being submerged in arctic water and no shelter? Maybe his beard protected him.

Maybe the entire movie was a dying dream of Augustine’s. That’s the only thing that makes any sense.

That particular director is very fond of that face.

Perhaps my wife and I both missed something in that part, but where did the coat come from that he was wearing after being submerged in freezing water? They’d lost everything, but suddenly a dry winter coat shows up?

We enjoyed the film in general, despite the obvious plot loopholes.

One of the most boring films I’ve seen in recent memory. Completely forgettable.

No kidding. As soon as they said they’d have to repair the damage from the outside it was time to start placing bets on which character was going to be knocked off.

what killed everyone, was it a gamma ray burst?

unimpressive film.

Also, the moment they started singing Sweet Caroline we knew something awful was about to happen.

Those astronauts sure love their 80 year old music. Remember how the Sky Lab crew used to wake up to “Camptown Races”?

As much as I like George Clooney, this was pretty awful. On the other hand, my friend said it was her new favorite movie by him. Go figure.

So what was the great disaster that ended life on Earth? Nuclear war wouldn’t do that much damage and I don’t think solar flares or gamma-ray bursts would either (at least not that fast). Augustine implied it wasn’t a natural disaster.

Incest between siblings, possibly father daughter incest too (Iris will be past her prime reproductive years by the time her sons enter puberty). So basically all they’re going to accomplish is giving humanity another generation to go extinct. I kept hoping for some sign that the Colony mission managed to launch after all, but nope. No hope for humanity. It doesn’t seem scientifically plausible, but a Jovian moon with enough geothermal activity to have an Earthlike climate was a clever way of giving astronauts a habitable destination in the solar system.

The wife (Kyle Chandler’s?) said it wasn’t intentional or something like that. (And early on, there was a brief film clip of what may have been “On the Beach”.) So it would seem that we mistakenly super-nuked ourselves.

I found it entertaining and even touching, but yeah what they all said. How can anyone producing a movie miss all these logic holes?

-I don’t THINK the movie reveals this, but I’ve read more than one review saying the Clooney character was in Antarctica. Didn’t the map referred to above reveal he was actually in Greenland or Northern Canada? Also, there are no wolves in Antarctica.

-There’s no way you can make a round trip to a Jupiter moon and back in 2 years at 30,000 mph; it will take at LEAST 4-6 years. It will take at least 2 years to reach Mars.
In addition, crew members of Aethena tried to reach Earth via radio millions of miles away, when they knew it would take hours, even days for there to be a response even if possible.

-As for what ended Earth, based on theories I have read, it seems likely that some sort of EMP event detonated nuclear devices around the Earth. My question is if a polar base is your last line of defense, why would you be so eager to evacuate to where the disasters occurred? I HATE movies and TV shows that don’t reveal what the catastrophe was. The Road did this and it drove me CRAZY.

-The return to K23 bothers me too, what’s the point of going back without other humans to breed with? Even if the unthinkable happens, generations of humans will mutate into complete genetic and diseased freaks.

-Are the couple really going to be able to manage this spacecraft for another 2 years without a pilot and a doctor?

-Not only would have the woman hit by the rock would have her suit depressurized, the amount of radiation that would have penetrated it would have killed her in minutes.

I know, I was bracing myself for disaster during the song. The movie managed the smallest of fakeouts by waiting until the song was over before it happened.

Mrs mollusc and I were enjoying it and suspending disbelief right up until the sinking in the water bit, after that we lost interest and it was in ,we started so we will finish it territory.

All of the above, and I mean ALL. Very disappointing.

And who the hell would name a kid Hyacinth?