The moderation here is getting ridiculously heavy handed

And on this note, although I’ll cop to making the obvious joke, how on earth does it follow that my comment was considered complaining? Wouldn’t that be closer to pointing out who the OP was talking about than griping about it myself?

Regardless, I’ll deal if you truly believe that’s what it was. Because there’s no way for me to explain it otherwise. But this whole thing has been a mystery.

That’s not how I read the thread. But I may take another look at this later on.

I think that’s the right thing to do. This stuff sometimes reads differently once some time has passed and you’re out of the moment.

Agree to all of the above.

Thank you, Marley. I don’t think we can ask for more than that.

Do I have all the principle players?

Czarcasm
The Mods
Blank Slate
Posters contentious about what seems just versus what is ruled
Posters who appreciate satire (whom I am among on GP’s since you know who else didn’t allow satire?)

OK, Shame on all of them to varying degrees. But if a lowly poster can’t offer an opinion on those degrees with impunity, doesn’t that effect the actual proportionment?

Look - the ruling was that saying “Poster X gets special breaks because he was once a mod” was a personal insult to Poster X. OK - personal insults go in the Pit and the Pit thread should not have been locked.

Or else saying “Poster X gets special breaks because he was once a mod” is a complaint about the moderation, in which case it goes in ATMB and the ruling was wrong and the ATMB thread should not have been locked.

Or else the ruling is “Poster X gets special breaks because he was once a mod” is not allowed in any forum.

Regards,
Shodan

**Marley **- In case it wasn’t clear from the other ATMB thread that you locked (and warned me for), I’m still complaining about the Pit warning (as well as the ATMB warning now) and ask for them to both be rescinded.

No one should have been warned for any of this shit.

My first thought on seeing the ATMB thread locked with a frivolous warning was “If this was my board, I’d be looking for a new moderator…”

As I recently said in another ATMB thread.

No one should have been warned for any of this. The Pit OPwas funny and on point. “Fucking Brilliant” gets a warning now?

ETA: But thanks for taking some time and re-thinking this, Marley.

Saying “Poster X gets special breaks because …” needs to be reworded as “The Mods favor Poster X because…” and then forumlated so it’s not insulting to anyone, and is ATMB material about moderator action. The particular thread under discussion was NOT just about that topic, but was a not-so-thinly disguised comment on moderator actions, and as such was a rules violation.

As a footnote, I can see why some feel that Giraffe gets preferential treatment as an ex-moderator, but I assure you that it’s not so, no one gets preferential treatment. (Well, OK, that’s not 100% accurate, we are much more lenient with some situations, such as new-comers who don’t know the rules yet, people on medications or with difficult illnesses, etc.)

“If you want to talk about [Czarcasm], then go to the Pit or some other forum where it’s appropriate.” - Dex, two days ago.

Anyone else feel like they’re trapped in a Joseph Heller novel?

“Something Happened?”

“God Knows.”

“Yep. Oh, you want to bitch about me? Go to the Pit! Oh wait, can’t do that, because moderator discussions belong in ATMB! Thread closed.”

Well played, guys. Well played.
Seriously, what has happened to this place? Are the mods burned out or something? Are the coffee cups painted with lead?

Actually, it seems to me that if Giraffe gets any special treatment around here, it’s that some otherwise-completely-oblivious-and-non-responsive moderators will actually, from time to time, stop and listen to what he has to say rather than dismissing him out of hand as a troublemaker or a malcontent.

Of course, when this happens, it’s often the case that a bunch of other posters have made similar points and been ignored or dismissed by the mods. It would be nice if some moderators actually bothered to take those points seriously when made by regular members, but if Giraffe’s status as an ex-mod at least leads to some small opening of the ears and minds once in a while, then i’m all for continuing to give him some preferential treatment.

Yeah, that’s sortof how I got my only warning as well: I simply posted that a Mod note admonishing for something was inccorect as I had not said what I was admonished for saying. BAM! I got a warning for Not Following A Mod’s Instructions. :rolleyes:

GrandWino’s warning is an even bigger pile of bullshit than mine was, tho.

I don’t know what sort of forums everyone else has had the luxury of participating in, but the modding here is, on the whole, much better than anywhere else I’ve been. I was once a member of a forum where you would get warnings (a few warnings and you got a ban) for any posts the mods deemed off-topic, or for not including enough words in a post. Everyone hated it and the mods didn’t give a shit.

There have been some poor decisions today, but I disagree that the modding “is getting ridiculously heavy handed”.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some apples to polish!

I don’t normally give two hoots about moderation threads, seeing as I’m generally so well behaved.

But the recent Czarcasm kerfuffle is just bad modding. And the warning to GrandWino for complaining about moderation in a forum dedicated to complaints about moderation is particularly undeserved.