The Morrissey / Smiths appreciation thread!

Sheila take a, Sheila take a bow
Boot the grime of this world in the crotch, dear
And don’t go home tonight
Come out and find the one that you love and who loves you
::runs to play Best of the Smiths CD::

Scout that song is Interesting Drug. I think it’s quite a political song, about how young families buy into housing that they can’t afford, or something. I never really quite got the meaning of it.

Great lyrics:

Alabaster crashes down
Six months is a long time

The ultimate depressing lyrics:

Oh mother, I can feel, the soil falling over my head…

You have to wonder what was going on in his life at the time!

Congrats, scout - a double woosh! :smiley:

I related most to “Ordinary Boys” in high school. I still love it.

With their lives laid out before them, they are lucky, so lucky…

Another Moz fan chiming in…

Some favs that haven’t been listed yet…

Asleep
Golden Lights
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Some Girls are Bigger then Others

and of course…the song he did on the Kilborn Show…The First of the Gang to die…bloody brilliant!

“you have never been in love…until you’ve seen sunlight thrown…over smashed human bone…”

:slight_smile: this Morrissey/Smiths appreciation thread is great to see :slight_smile:

I am only a fairly new fan of the smiths and morrissey and I only have a few CD’s which include the Queen is Dead, Meat is Murder, Louder than Bombs, Strangeways Here we Come and Best of Morrissey

I luuurrve just about every song on all these cd’s but some of my faves would have to be:

Unhappy Birthday
I know it’s over
Asleep
Ask
Oscillate Wildy
…ok well just about every song on Louder than bombs!

then there’s my fave moz songs:

November spawned a monster
Interlude (he sounds great with Siouxsie)
You’re the one for me fatty

eep! I could go on forever! but i won’t :stuck_out_tongue:
Last night I dreamt, that somebody loved me
No hope no harm… just another false alarm

Has anyone read the recent “Songs That Saved Your Life” book about their music? According to the Amazon reviews it’s as good as it sounds… I’d be interested to hear what a Doper thinks though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1903111471/ref%3Dpd_sim_b_dp/026-5614412-5559600

No offense guys, but for Smiths fans you have some of the worst taste. Some of your favorites are what I’d rank as some of the worst. And good lord, how can anyone possibly prefer solo Morrissey over Smith’s Morrissey? :wink:

Favorite songs ranked in order…

1. Well I Wonder
  2. Asleep
  3. I Know Its Over

Hmm… I can’t rank the rest but notable mentions would be Still Ill, Handsome Devil, Rubber Ring, Bigmouth Strikes Again, Speedway, Used to Be a Sweet Boy… ah just too many.

I don’t know about any of you, but I like How Soon Is Now?, but the song has a level of irritation with me because its basically the only song non-fans know and when I hear it at bars or clubs people will yip and cheer and say, “I love this song.” Then I get all pretentious and mutter something about them being poseurs. :stuck_out_tongue:

Favorite lines…

Gasping… Dying… Somehow Still Alive…
Let me get my hands, on your mammary glands…
There’s more to life than books you know, but not much more…
And when you’re laughing and dancing and finally singing, hear my voice in your head and think of me kindly…
There is a brighter to side to life and I should know because I’ve seen it… but not often…

You are sleeping. You do not want to believe.

You must go out immediately and buy Hatful of Hollow. Its basically their debut album… their selftitled true debut The Smiths predates it, but its pretty rough and unpolished. Hell, its got Still Ill without the harmonica and thats a crime.

This is very good advice.

Personal faves: This Charming Man, Heaven Knows I’m Miserable now, Reel around the Fountain, That Joke isn’t funny anymore and The Headmaster Ritual.

The Smiths were one of the best live bands I’ve seen, although I think there was a big drop-off in the quality of their recorded material after The Queen Is Dead (and some of that was pretty ropey).

And how could I have forgotten What Difference does it Make?

Has anyone else heard that top Russian lesbo-popsters Tatu have actually recorded a cover of How Soon Is Now? I’m, er, intrigued by this…

Faves:

Asleep
The boy with the Thorn in his side
Cemetary Gates
This Charming Man

Thank you, Slacker, for believing in me.

And yeah, I know it’s Interesting Drug. That’s why it’s so funny!

I swear, if I keep seeing this thread title, it’s off to Amazon, credit card in hand…!

In appreciation:

I was in London when Ronnie Kray died. I stole an Evening Standard poster reading “Gangster Ronnie Kray Is Dead,” framed it, and hung it on my wall. It’s the best conversation piece I own. I took a picture of someone’s misspelled graffiti reading [sic] “Meat is Murded.” That’s not framed yet, but will be. I also spent some time with my friend Jeff watching some lovely boys sunning themselves at Highgate Cemetery.

:smiley:

Has anyone seen the DVD of Neil Finn & Friends? Neil hand-picked a band to play in NZ, and guitar/vocals/asstd stuff is Johnny Marr!

There is a light that never goes out.
J.Marr and Neil do it nicely.

Oh, and not just JM – other players include Eddie Vedder, Lisa Germano and Tim Finn.

There’s a CD of the concert, too. Both the DVD and CD are called “Seven Worlds Collide”.

Sandie Shaw and the Smiths, Hand in Glove is my personal Mozzer favourite at this time.

Lord have mercy, folks, how could you have forgotten “Bigmouth Strikes Again?” Fabulous guitar, fabulous lyrics.

Oh, and the delay-pan thingy that Johnny Marr worked out so painstakingly for “How Soon is Now?” blows my mind every single time I hear it. I hate that they butchered it to use as the theme song for that third-rate WB show “Charmed.”

Oh, I’ve heard How Soon Is Now used for everything from radio jingles to tv show music. For some reason, it seems really popular in that way.

MC: Hand in Glove - yes a true classic. By the way, the sun really does shine out of my behind.

Anyone know what he sings at the end of Suedehead? It sounds very much like “It was a good lay, a good lay…” ?

Ok, I’m not a huge Smiths/Morissey fan, but I have to add something here. I am a high school science teacher and I occasionally show Bill Nye videos to my classes. You know how at the end of the Bill Nye videos there is usually a music video where they take a once popular song and rewrite the lyrics to relate to whatever science concept that show was about? And they have the science song’s singers (or actors lip-synching) in an MTV-style music video. Like one of them is “Sound is a Vibe” to the tune of “I Will Survive.”

SO, at the end of the Bill Nye video on Momentum, the music video is The More That You Push Me by “Momentissey.” The singer in the video does an over-the-top impression of Morissey. Downturned head, eyes looking up, eyebrows arcing, arms outstreched as though he is pleading with you through the television. Totally mugging for the camera. It is so hilarious!

The more that you push me,
the faster I get.
You’re adding velocity.
I could roam, very far,
but not as far as that car…

Most of my students have no idea who Morissey is, so they don’t understand why I crack up laughing when that video comes on. Even though I’ve seen it at least 20 times.

I think it’s “it was too late, too late”. Lyrics sites don’t include it, so I’ll take yours instead, it sounds cooler.

A Morrissey album always must have:

1. At least one good resentment song
  2. At least one good cynicism song
  3. At least one good despair song

Morrissey is at his best when he is able to hit many shades of melancholy–some in a spirit of aggressive defiance, some in a spirit of passive resignation, and some in a spirit of autoerotic catharsis.