The Morrissey / Smiths appreciation thread!

I loved The Smiths. I loved the melancholy lyrics, the hurt and pain in Morrissey’s singing. It seemed to fit with my lifestyle, as a teenager full of angst myself. I think some of the Smith’s songs are incredibly beautiful and meaningful, in a world full of (at the time) throwaway pop like Bros and Kylie. He wrote from the heart, and I was one of his biggest fans in the 80s. He was intellectual, and he wrote lyrics which I could relate to, at that time in my life. Plus Johnny Marr was (is) a great guitarist.

Best Smiths songs:

*There is a light that never goes out
*Hand in glove
*Girlfriend in a coma
*Reel around the fountain

I like some of the stuff after he went solo, but some of it seems a little xenophobic. There’s a lot of focus on his Englishness, bordering on the jingoistic.

The stuff I really liked:

*Every day is like Sunday
*Piccadily Palary

Examples of some of the stuff that put me off:

*The National Front Disco
*Bengali in Platforms

Any other fans out there share similar thoughts? Is he even still writing new stuff these days? Anyone else think of him like I did (with fond memories)?

Oh, and post the Smiths / Morrissey songs you like the best!

Don’t forget:

*Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
*Unhappy Birthday

I actually liked Morisseys solo stuff more than the the Smiths. His solo backup band had a rawer, grittier sound than the Smiths, which gave an edgier feel to his lamenting lyrics. I especially remember the song (I think), “The Last of the International Cowboys.” I also liked his “Smiths” stuff, but the solo stuff rawked.

With that said, I was somewhat of a closet fan. DAMN! His fans were over-the-top drama queens. I remember back in 1991, he came to Houston for a record store appearance. Guys, not just girls, but guys were bawling like babies with waterfalls of tears about getting to see their hero.

Road Rash: You’re thinking of “Last of the International Playboys” I think. :slight_smile:

I actually quite liked his backing band when he went solo. They were certainly rougher, more rock than Marr & co, but I thought they did a good job.

I actually have a tape of him in Dallas, live on stage. The fans were all (male & female) throwing flowers on stage, trying to hug him etc. I never saw him live, but I don’t think I would have gone that far! He had a massive cult following.

Faves:

Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now
Panic
Everyday is Like Sunday
The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get
That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore

One of the best lyricists I’ve heard, that Moz. And he can sure swing a gladiolus with style…

“I’d like to drop my trousers to the Queen”

Always thought that was a terrific line.

Other than that, the whole “no one understands me” vibe was a little trite. Adolescent anguish wears very thin once you’re no longer an adolescent.

I hum “How soon is now” every morning to get me ready for the day.

Oh, I don’t know…a little bit of it can still be fun, if you’re in the mood!

I don’t listen to them all that much any more…only have three of their albums, The Smiths, The Queen is Dead, and Louder than Bombs.

I was always very fond of “Cemetery Gates.”

A dreaded sunny day
so let’s go where we’re wanted
and I meet you at the cemetery gates
Keats and Yeats are on your side
but you lose because Wilde is on mine

I think I was the Smiths’ #1 fan in the 80s. Today I keep everything they ever recorded on mp3 wherever I work (all legally owned I might add, recorded from CD and precious vinyl) along some bootleg gig recordings.

A list of favourite songs is hard to do… there’s so many lifelong classics. But the number one for me is invariably Hand that rocks the cradle.

If I had to condense another 9 greats out of the list to make a personal top 10:

1. Cemetary Gates
  2. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
  3. Panic
  4. Headmaster Ritual
  5. Suffer Little Children
  6. Ask
  7. How Soon Is Now
  8. Reel Around The Fountain
  9. Meat is Murder

Ah, but it’s fun to quote the Smiths when you’re laughing at your own melodramas (errr…that is, if you’re a goof like me and still have melodramas). “I wear black on the outside because black is how I feel on the inside.” Classic!

Samarm, you named my favorite Smiths song (ever) in your first list. Is there anything more beautiful than “There Is a Light that Never Goes Out”?

Other good ones:

Still Ill
Unhappy Birthday
This Charming Man
The Boy With the Thorn in His Side
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
Asleep
Oscillate Wildly (because I can play it on the piano :slight_smile: )

Stop me if you think I’ve read this thread before. :slight_smile:

I was somewhat obbessed with old mozza when I was but a callow youth.

Certainly I did spend a rather worrying amount of time lying on my bed with the light off listening to “Strangeways Here we come”.
I never really got for into solo stuff so I’d be greatful for any recomendations.

My Smiths Cd’s don’t get played that often anymore but I’m always glad to know they’re there.

My Favourite song would have to be
“Stop me if you think you’ve heard this one before”

“Oh, so I drank one
or was it four
and when I fell on the floor…
…I drank more”

Horrifingly accurate discription of some of my teenage behaviour. Of course I’m much better now…

Like gallows fodder I’m also very fong of “asleep”

Fox, out of Morrissey’s solo albums, I have Viva Hate, Vauxhall & I, and Maladjusted, and I would heartily recommend the first two. Maladjusted has a few good songs, but mostly it seems that by this point the well is running dry, so to speak.

I saw Morrissey live at Tinley Park Auditorium in his first solo tour in 1990.

I like his solo work almost as much as I loved his work with the Smiths.

I can never decide on what is my favorite movie/tv show/book/etc…

But I know my favorite song. Asleep by the Smiths. Quite possibly the perfect song.

BTW - did you guys know that Johnny Marr finally has a solo album? “Boomslang” by Johnny Marr and the healers just came out yesterday. It’s not too shabby.

And apparently Morrissey has an album written, he just needs to find a record label. Here’s hoping! :smiley:

I adore “How soon is now”, although for many, many years I misinterpreted the lyrics (I thought it was "I am the SUN and the AIR, instead of the SON and the HEIR, although more poetic IMHO, it doesn’t make any sense put together with the rest) I also like “Hairdresser on Fire” and “Piccadily Palare” from Morrisey’s solo carreer.

Aside:
A pox on the house of my friend who never returned my Morrisey mix-tape (but I don’t remember who it was). Damn his eyes!

Another fan here. I think my favorite is also “There is a Light…”

I had lots of Morrissey/Smiths stuff on tape, but when I moved to CDs never replaced any of it. This gets my memory churning and thinking that I should do that.

Sorry, I just had to add this:

I went over to Amazon to check out the Smiths/Morrissey offerings. The “Best of Morrissey” includes this interesting track:

Interesting Rug

Ha!

Scout I think the title is Interesting Drug, although it’s funnier the other way.

I too love Morrissey and the Smiths. A few weeks ago, I stumbled upon the Late Late Show and Moz was on two nights in a row, I can’t remember the last time I was so exicted to see something on tv.

A college friend got me into The Smiths. At first, I made fun of him for it, but before you know it, I’d gone out and bought every Moz and The Smiths CD I could find.

Listing favorite songs is hard, there are few I don’t love, but here are a few I’m especially fond of:
This night has opened my eyes
Vicar in a tutu
I know it’s over
Paint a vulgar picture
Suedehead
and the list goes on, and on and on…