The Name of the Place

Swampy, you’re starting to scare me. I grew up in the little town of LaGrange, GA (acutally, I was born in LaGrange, but grew up in the even smaller town of Hogansville). I used to visit family a couple times a year just outside Albany in Leesburg, GA. If’n I didn’t know better (and I can’t say for sure that I do), I might just think that we may be related. Of course, that opens the door for all the Southern jokes which would indicate that of course we are related if we live in the same state. I’m glad that I got married and moved an hour North of Atlanta. Less chance of running into close relatives up here.

No, but there is a Paris in Texas…and there is a Texas in Jawja. I think that should count. :wink:

I can testify that New York (the state) and Georgia are not the same place. If they were, living 60 miles North of New York (the city) would put me living in a really really cold place. Since I don’t like the cold, this would not be good. The Atlanta traffic may be as bad or worse that that of New York (either the city or state, take your pick), but the weather is generally warmer here, and we have sweet tea. :smiley:

-Belz (having lots of fun with quotes today)

In 'Sippimissi it ain’t just Albany. It’s New Albany. Like they were gonna just reinvent it. The place is a pothole.

BelZ that’s just scary. Ok, not you, but the fact that you know both the Big L and Hogtown. And Texas. There’s also Waco. Oh and Corinth and Ephesus, you know, like where parts of the New Testament were writ. Or writ about anyways.

We could even know each other. That’s either :smiley: or :eek: depending on what kind of pasts either one of us might be tryin’ to hide or not. Did you go to Hogie High? It doesn’t exist anymore. Well, the building does but it ain’t Hogie High anymore. For odd and totally unknown reasons when all four school systems finally consolidated into one they felt to build a new high school in LaGrange, as if there were a need for more than the two already there. The town just gets weirder and weirder.

Well, Portland Oregon, near where I live, used to be called Stumptown. Really.
Then somebody, in a burst of creativity, decided it should be named the same as a city in Maine. :confused:

The town I live in is named Newberg. I’m sure there are plenty of Newburgs, and maybe even a Newberg or two around, but I don’t care enough to find out.

I thought of the Albany connection while I was reading my way down to here, but I doubt it has any hyperdimensional connection to Albany NY. I always thought that would make an interesting premise for a SF story, but then I always thought “somebody prolly already wrote it, and I can’t write worth a hoot anyways.” so I let it go.

We’ve got an Aloha Oregon here, but they don’t pronounce it Uh-Low-Ha, they pronounce it Uh-Low-Uh. Humph!

Hi Gene!
hee

Did I make it in under the #40 post? I told beckwall I’d take his place in line.

Got lobsters there? :wink:

I crack me up…

I’m finding it amusing that my quote was misattributed to susan_foster. The identity confusion, she continues!

I never knew there was a San Diego in Texas AND Puerto Rico. I somehow feel cheapened.

Swampy, I did indeed to go Hogie High back in the days before it met its end. My little sister was actually in the final graduating class of that fine <snerk> educational establishment. Not sure how long its been since you were a regular around Hog Town (so named for the physical appearance of certain police officers that worked there), but I left town around 1990. I still keep in touch with my dad by dropping in there once a year or so. Other than those very short trips to visit, I avoid that area as much as possible.

We may indeed have met at some point. Heck, if you ever walked down Main St. in the late '80’s to Big Bear (I actually miss that grocery store), its likely you passed me working at the local Hardware Store. I was the skinny short kid with glasses. Last I heard, both the hardware store and Big Bear had long closed down. Guess they just couldn’t keep going without folks like us around. :wink:

-Belz

There’s a New Albany in Indiana, but you might never know it. If you ask someone who lives there “Where do you live?” would you think they’d say “New Albany”? Heck no! They say “Knob Knee”. But then it is just Indiana after all.

There is also a Vera Cruz and Monterrey, OH, which are somewhat close to each other, but really nopthing like their more known geographic cousins. I also recently found out there is another Cincinnati… in Iowa. Strangely, I have the feeling they are more progressive there than here.

And while we are on the subject of Chester’s, there is a town called West Chester in the local vicinity. I do not know of any East Chester, or plain old Chester nearby, so this confuses me. If memory serves me correctly, that is closer to Rue’s neck of the woods, so he may have some explanation.

I’m impressed that Lissla bucked the system and made cornbread. Although not too good for the cholesterol numbers when slathered in honey butter, it is still a slice of down home type heaven. Speaking of cholesterol, mine is through the roof for someone my age, and the doc has me eating oatmeal. I don’t care for oatmeal that much, but it’s supposed to be good for getting things how they should be. Does anyone have any suggestions for making oatmeal palatable without too much fat being added?

Nope, lots of crabs though. :smiley:

:smack: D’oh! I knew I’d forgotten something. I’m sorry, Scout, I knew it was you, really I did. I just copied and pasted the coding and forgot to change the name.

Golden raisens (or cranberries if you don’t like raisens) and pecans works for me.

Check out this recipe - http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2004/03/oatmeal_breakfast_clafoutis.php . I’ve made it & loved it.

Susan

When I make hot cereal, I slice up a banana and throw it in before I cook it. That way the banana softens, and the whole thing starts to smell like banana bread. I also put in a splash of vanilla extract.

Any kind of fruit will do. Blueberries, strawberries, dried, frozen or fresh, give it a try.

I’d love to add the bananas, but for the past few years, bananas and I have not played nice together. Thanks to all for the suggestions, I’ll be heading over to the market to pick up some throw ins for the oats.

After checking out Susan’s link, that is right up my alley!

I like oatmeal. But I like it better when it’s cooked w/milk, not water. Then I like to add raisins and brown sugar, w/butter. Unfortunately, this does not help you

I like oatmeal. But I like it better when it’s cooked w/milk, not water. Then I like to add raisins and brown sugar, w/butter. Unfortunately, this does not help you Theodore.

By the way, scout I finally got that axe removed from my head. :wink: Do you want me to send it back 1st or 3rd class?

I am all out of sorts here at work today. Do people NOT understand the meaning of CLOSED door? Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. I am TRYING to get back up to speed here and catch up.

Well, I must go to another meeting.

Uh…um… :o Please ignore the incomplete post re: oatmeal above the completed one above. Apparently, I still have very fat fingers or something…

Waitaminute… I thought Scout murdered axes. Why would she give them away?

Unless by hiding one in your head, she was disposing of the bodies.

Ohhhh. Is Hogan’s Heros still open there? They served the best shrimp and scallops manicotti I’ve ever eaten. In fact, they’re one of the best Italian restaurants to be found anywhere.