The new "Dune" adaptation

Due in December 2020! A great sf director (with Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 under his belt) and an all-star cast.

Here are some pics from the set, and short interviews:

The Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(2020_film)

I’m psyched - and you?

I’m prepared to be disappointed, because it’s such a hard novel to adapt and so many ways it can go wrong.

But Villeneuve is great, and I can’t think of a single casting decision that is disappointing. So who knows.

Yeah, it doesn’t have a great track record. That said, Denis Villeneuve is amazing and has earned my trust. I loved his Blade Runner 2049 adaptation and pretty much everything else he’s done. So … I’m cautiously optimistic. This could be great.

I must not fear the latest adaptation
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear of the new adaptation
I will permit myself to watch it .
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I (and the book) will remain

I am really looking forward to it. It is a hard novel to adapt but I think Villeneuve is pretty much the perfect choice to bring it to life. Looking at his previous works like Enemy and Arrival when taken into account that he is supposedly a life long fan of the book, I am excited. Everyone who has seen any part of it has raved about it.

The one thing that does worry me, is that the first book is going to be made as a two parter. That is smart in the sense that the material is too dense to fit into one movie but the second part is going to be green-lit based on the success of part one. The movie did have a prime release date in December with no Star Wars or Marvel competition. Now, with Covid-19 movies are getting their release dates changed and now Dune could face some stiff week 2 competition.

Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 were two of my favorite movies from 2010s, so I’m optimistic. Too bad about Blade Runner bombing in the box office, though. It deserved better.

Add me to the, “cautiously optimistic,” crowd. Not crazy about some of the costuming, but that’s very, very minor in the grand scheme of things.

Paul is a tricky character, given that he’s so young, but Chalomet seems like a great choice. The other casting seems good as well, particularly Stellan Skarsgard; he’s talked recently about wanting the Baron to be less cartoonish than in the previous adaptations, which is really the way to go.

I was not a fan of the Alan Smithee versions.

Every network is looking for the next Game of Thrones and I always figured this could be it.

I am hopeful, though. I would love for them to do a good job.

Did they film both halves of the movie all at once or do we have to wait years for the followup?

It’s gonna suck. Mark my words. Nothing good will come of this.

It’s not gonna suck. Mark my words. If a single person, who hasn’t read the book, comes out of the theater wanting to read it, than something good came of it.

According to IMDB (and Ike Witt above), they filmed the first part only. They’ll make part 2 only if the first one is successful.

Other than some casting choices, the Lynch/“Smithee” version sucked. But I am a fan of the ScyFy miniseries. A version that appears to be made with skill is always worth checking out.

The trouble is, as I age, I find my alliances shifting. I do not think the Fremen are anywhere near the good guys the book seems to cast them as. They are mujahdin if not Taliban. And it’s hard to put the later books out of my mind, how we know with Cassandra-like ability that the entire world is doomed. Fortunately, no matter how successfully, the Dune books will never get the Harry Potter treatment. They’ll never film any of the later books. They’ll just keep remaking the first, over and over…

You hate people that much?

Ugh. I’ll see it, but I wish they’d made the entire thing.

And we still don’t know who is playing Feyd-Rautha.

Oh great, just like Ralph Bakshi’s Lord of the Rings. If it flops,Rankin-Bass can do the second half.

Where there’s a sonic whip, crack
There’s a Weirding Way

Gordon Sumner is available I hear.

I wonder if they’ll tone down Baron Harkonnen’s pederasty.

The director has said he doesn’t want the Baron to be a caricature. Dunno how that plays out.

Two key Imperial roles still aren’t cast, I guess. Any suggestions? For the Emperor, I’d say:

Ian McKellen
Patrick Stewart
Charles Dance
Michael Fassbender
Michael Gambon

And for Princess Irulan, maybe:

Alicia Vikander
Margaret Qualley
Rachel Brosnahan
Naomi Scott
Saoirse Ronan