The new "Dune" adaptation

If you subscribe to HBOMax (note: the Ad-free plan) you can watch it for the 30 days it’s on the streaming service (though it may come back later as well).

Sorry, I meant how HBO pays for the movie.(that is, how much $ is coming in from streaming, and how much that helps to get part 2 made)

Brian

Well that’s all a mystery. Warner owns the film and HBO Max, so it’s probably just fun with accounting.

Part 2 green lit:

Brian

I saw it Sunday and was disappointed. Long on form but short on substance. When you remove all the world-building exposition, Dune has a pretty bland plot. My friend has not read the book and was confused why Shadout Mapes freaked when Jessica knew what the knife was. He didn’t know how the BG had prepped primitive cultures for mental exploitation by planting prophecies centuries earlier. He had no idea who Piter Devries was even afterwards. The movie would have been better served with fewer shots of Chani in a vision and more background.

That said, I liked how Denis V portrayed the desert. It felt hot and bleak much more so than the Lynch version. 2021 was like the desert in Better Call Saul compared to the 80’s versions’ Lawrence of Arabia. The production design was AWESOME. loved the use of faceless, visored helmets.

Dave Bautista was great for his limited time on screen. Much more character than in either the earlier film or the book for that matter, both of which treated him like the Baron did: a violent buffoon to beat the locals so much that Feyd Rautha looks like a good guy.

Here’s CNN on the green-lit second movie - huzzah!:

Full reaction in the spoilers thread, but at the 2 PM Saturday show there were ~12 folks in the theater. I reserved a seat online away from folks but someone took a spot next to me so I moved over.
Trailers: Scream, Eternals, AmbuLAnce, The Batman, and at least one more.

Brian

No Sting and heart plugs!

I enjoyed, but being a 2.5 hour movie based on a book a lot of detail that would helped explain the story was skipped. Having read the book (and seen the original movie Back In The Day) filled it out for me.

Same, plus The Matrix Resurrections when I saw it today.

Haven’t read the replies, but I thought it was a very good movie…one of the best sci-fi movies I’ve seen in a long time. It was pretty good with respect to following the book as well. They kept in a lot of the mystic element that was missing from the old Dune movie (which, admittedly I hated), and the visuals were just great. All in all, I liked it and am anticipating the second movie in the series which presumably will take us through the rest of the first book.

It was slow and murky. I think the content is more appropriate for a mini-series, and for the second point, the last mini-series did well in light of that.

I loved the scene with the Sardukar. I saw the Lynch film several times before I read the book. The Lynch film never really established the battle prowess of the Sardukar. That electronic Mongolian throat chant ritual in a downpour was a goodmixture of intimidating and strange. I can’t wait to see those legions being swallowed by Sandworms in the sequel.

I couldn’t agree more about the Sardaukar. I think that just might be one of my favorite scenes in the new movie, brief as it is.