I’m probably one of the biggest Magnum, P.I. fans in the world. I even have the theme song as the ring tone on my cell phone. And I was soooo looking forward to the reboot. Well, I watched it tonight. Man, I LOVED it! I DVRed it tonight, and watched it twice.
But, knowing the Straight Dope for lo these many decades, I’m guessing that I’m alone in approving of the reboot, and that the rest of you hated it. Please tell me I’m wrong!
Things I liked:
- The theme song - they kept it. Shortened, but still there.
- Rick and TC - still there, much the same, but tweaked and updated in a refreshing way.
- Higgins - still there. A chick now, but hey, I can roll with the changes. She kicks ass.
- Robin’s Nest, the Ferrari, the guest house, all still there.
- Cross overs with 5-0 - I’m pretty sure the coroner he visited is the same one from the *Hawaii 5-0 *show. That’s cool.
- The LADS!!
- The Cross of Lorraine ring - still there.
- Detroit Tigers hat - still there.
- The voice over, and “I know what you’re thinking…” - still there.
- And probably Number One - the major theme of *Magnum, P.I. *was always friendship. And that seems to be a major theme of the reboot as well. I am so happy about that.
Also - I’m please to see that they tweaked the title. The original series was called Magnum, P.I. The new series is called *Magnum P.I. *(no comma). This is nice, because it allows my DVR to keep the new and old versions stored in separate folders.
Things I didn’t like:
- The theme song was too short. That’s all I can complain about.
Okay, what do the rest of youse guys think?