The old guys on The Muppets...

Does anyone remember the names of the old hecklers from the Muppet Show? Anybody?

1999: Movie hype goes to a new level with the long-awaited prequel Star Wars Episode 1, Wayne Gretzky retires and Michael Jordan retires again, The Columbine High School tragedy, The Melissa virus, Australia wins the cricket World Cup, the population of India passed 1 billion.
[Edited by Coldfire on 03-07-2001 at 04:50 PM]

I think they were called Statler and Waldolf-as in hotels.

Statler and Waldorf

This forum used to be where thought provoking questions were answered. It has degenerated into a library research facility and trivia responce center.

From spellcheck.net:

“responce” is misspelled.
Here are some suggestions:

res ponce
response
responded
responder
responses
respond
respondent
responders
resource
respected
respecter
respondents
resonate
responds
resounded

How fortunate to have spell checkers to watch over our every post.

CnoteChris, if there is anything misspelled in this post,
Oh, I’m sorry, sir. I’m anus-peptic, phrasmotic, even compunctious to have caused you such pericombobulation.*

:wink:

OH! HOH HOH HOH!

Why Do We Always Come Here / I Guess We’ll Never Know / It’s Like A Kind Of Torture / To Have To Watch This Show!

To shake this stale old question up a bit, I’ll add that Waldorf’s wife was named “Astoria”. She appeared on the Muppet Show once that I can recall, and she bore a startling resemblence to Statler.

And to further “shake it up”, I’ll throw in this bit of trivia:

Neither Statler nor Waldorf are currently performed by their original performers. Statler was performed by Richard Hunt, and Waldorf was performed by the man himself, Jim Henson. Since the deaths of these two performers back in the early 90s, Statler has been performed by Jerry Nelson (known for Robin the Frog, Gobo Fraggle, Floyd Pepper, and Herry Monster, among others), and Waldorf has been performed by Dave Goelz (the man beneath Bunsen Honeydew, Zoot, Beauregard, and of course, the Great Gonzo).

I believe Dave and Jerry’s first main performance together as Statler and Waldorf was in The Muppet Christmas Carol (where they portrayed the Marley brothers, Scrooge’s former partners).

We’re Marley and Marley,
avarice and greed.
We took advantage of the poor,
and just ignored the need-y.
We specialized in causing pain,
in spreading fear and doubt.
And if you could not pay the rent,
We simply threw you out!

bork! bork! bork!

Statler and Waldorf!

Statler: I told you this show was bomb!
(cannon ball flies out of TV and hits an old lady, who flies backwards in her chair)
Statler: What was THAT?
Waldorf: I think her medication just kicked in!
Both: (laugh)
Statler: Nurse! I’ll have some of that!