The original word is fuckING.

Neil Gaiman used ‘fucken’ in American Gods, spoken by someone with an Irish accent. When his editors tried to fix it, he had it changed back.

Hmm . . . I’d accept special dispensation for fooken, particularly for Irish dialect, but not fucken–it just looks wrong. Good thing I’m not in charge I guess . . .

By the way I’m told that the capital of Ireland is often mispronounced by foreigners. It is spelled Dublin but should be pronounced FookenDublin.

I’m a big fan of “‘k’n’”, as in “'k’n’oath*, it’s hot today.”

*Pronounced approximately as keh-noath

Isn’t Fucken™ an accounting package? I hear it referred to quite often around tax time.

Oh, btw, Daniel, you’re a frog-in-a-duck-in-a-chicken genius!!

Thanks! Now my plan is to buy a poultry processing plant, and schedule a meeting with the snootiest Parisian chef I can, intimating that I have a wonderful new product for him to sell in his restaurant.

He might chase me around the kitchen with his butcher’s knife, but it’ll be worth it.

Daniel

But that is OK, right?

Sorry, that was me.

Here I am (really). I’m sorry but “fucken” is the spelling I choose over “fucking” which sounds too upper crusty for me. Another reason is that “fuckING” implies that one would with to have coitus with the entire ING Coporation. I’m not condoning such behavior.

Pardon me officer but if it pleases the language police I’ll try really hard to correct my spelling…

Yeah fucken right!

About 20 years ago, there was an Elementary School near my friend’s house and we used to walk by it every day.

On the fence of this school there was a sign that warned drivers to watch out for children, and some graffiti artist had added a couple of words to the sign that I found hilarious. The sign read (added words in not-bold):

SLOW DOWN
asshole
CHILDREN CROSSING
fucken
BE CAREFUL

Even though I hated the fact that the anonymous wit had not spelled “fuckin’” correctly, I still derived much amusement from the sign, and eventually grew forgiving when seeing the word spelled as “fucken.”

No one’s mentioned “fuggin”. I’ve seen that on many a message board. :smiley:

We took cans of compressed air, removed their labels, and created new labels with markers, anointing the product “FUG.” Therefore, if you can’t fix it, FUG it.

Its fokin’, and its Irish.

And one can’t forget that old Supreme Court-rejection-related-phrase “getting pfükked,” which The Daily Show’s Rob Corddry enlightened us to recently.

What I can’t stand is people who say "feck or “fecking.” Although we might need a separate thread for that, called The original word is fUcking. :wink:

So I guess “fuggen” is also right out, then?

Not, it’s an Austrian town and it’s spelled correctly, Fucking.

“Fucken” just continues to look wrong no matter how many times I see others use it. If I don’t want the whole word, I write (and say) fuckin’. “Fucken” looks like a committee got together to decide how to handle such a beastly word – “I know! Let’s spell it differently! That’ll do the trick!”

Well you could always tell an annoying person to “go fornicate under consent of the king, Sir!”
Or is it “Go file yourself under carnal knowledge, you reprobate!”

Incidentally, there is a town in Austria called Fucking.

I’m sorry… what?

Where in Creation are you from that “fucking” is upper-crusty?
Let me introduce you to my ex’s parents. Meeting you would incinerate them on the spot. I’ll bring marshmallows.

Well, cultural differences and all.
Fucken is the word here (IMHO). Fucking is not the adjective. Of course they are used interchangeably and no-one here gets all PC on a word that is pretty much colloquial.

I think you almost beat mswas for lamest pit thread of the week. Almost.