The Orville Season 2

Have you noticed the name “Brannon Braga” as executive producer, sometime writer and director? Go check his IMDB page and all will be made clear.

I get that this show has some people in common with the people behind Star Trek. And I appreciate it, as this show is on broadcast TV and the new Star Trek series are on a paid streaming service, so they’re essentially unavailable to me.

Wasn’t a great start. I thought the Bortus plotline lacked an overall punchline. Okay, so it’s a decent setup… we see the ceremony… and nothing. I was expecting some kind of payoff.

Even just having him make such an epic deal out of it, followed by his ritualistic singing, and then the sound of a zipper and a little tinkle would’ve been enough. Just felt kind of underserved.

I don’t like the Captain and First Officer romantic plotline at all. I tolerated it in the first season in the hopes that it would end with them figuring out they don’t work as a couple but they work as colleagues and friends, but if he spends all season pining for her that’s just boring. She’s right that it’s just wildly inappropriate. There’s no way they’d actually allow a relationship in that situation, one of them would get transferred. Really, we three seperate romantic interest plotlines going on this episode… too much. At least the one with the holo-bar was funny.

Apparently they have real alcohol in this show, versus whatever they called it in TNG. If the kids could sober up just by thinking it their getting hold of a bottle of vodka wouldn’t be such a big deal.

Also, weren’t there three boys in on the caper? Why not ask the third kid about who hacked the computer?

That’s the thing about scatological humor in mainstream TV – there’s only so much you can get away with, sometimes you push the envelope … and then that’s all you do. We already got the punchline – “Hello, I’m the Captain, good to have you aboard. Eh? What’s that? You’re here for new exploratory adventures? Great. We’re going to an over-polluted world, and watching the First Officer go Number One. See ya there. There’s drinks afterward.”

I did wonder what would happen. Would Bortas be knocked back by a massive outflow? Would he tinkle for 3 seconds? After all, he’s been reprocessing everything for a year, if his body is so super efficient, why urinate at all? I was almost expecting a thud sound or maybe a tinkling of sand falling, Hey, reptiles and birds, on Earth, urinate solid.

But network censors may have been like, no, you can’t be that gross on 9pm FOX right after football. We cut short the O.T. for you, don’t push us here.

My guess for the reason is that the plot of the unseen thirteen episode kicks off a story arc that continues into the season, while this was essentially a stand-alone episode that aired on a holiday weekend. No big deal if people missed it.

It wasn’t the series’ finest episode by any means, but I really dig this show overall, so I was still happy to have it back, and look forward to the next ep.

Well they had real alcohol in TNG too; the replicators just required a command override to produce it instead of synthenol. Presumably the Orville’s replicators will produce intoxicants for anyone of age.

Thanks, that explains a lot. I was thinking this was the holdover from last season, but wonder why a new character was introduced.

Well the Orville’s crew is large enough that it has at least one sit-down restaurant in addition to the mess hall and bar.

Good timing – I just finished binge watching “The Larry Sanders Show”, so I can keep getting my Penny Johnson fix.

Who played the guy that went on the date with Alara? His voice sounded familiar.

I assumed this whole series is just Seth MacFarlane expressing his enjoyment for Star Trek TNG. So there are going to be a lot of parallels (MacFarlane also put Patrick Stewart as a recurring character on American Dad and made him look like a cartoon version of Patrick Stewart to boot).

However MacFarlane made the ships in his series 100x faster than the fastest ships in star trek TNG.

Dann is played by Mike Henry who is a regular for Seth McFarlane. He plays Cleveland Brown, for example.

WC, where did you catch the 100X faster speed thing? I apparently missed it.

In an earlier episode the captain said the orville can travel 10 light years per hour. Thats about 87,600 light years per year.

Janeway said Voyager could only travel 1000 light years per year since it took 75 years to travel 75,000 light years for them to get back to the alpha quadrant.

The Orville’s greater speed is a surprisingly useful bit of trivia to know. That means that it more plausible that the Orville can behave like the Enterprise often tends to: zip around, back and forth, from Earth to distant star base and back again.

Director Bullock is easily the best thing about American Dad. And American Dad is the best of the Seth MacFarlane animated shows.

I think The Orville is best when it’s like TNG mixed with a workplace comedy. I hope that most of the really easy jokes are gone in season two.

Yes, very interesting indeed. So the Orville could even get to Andromeda in less than thirty years (assuming it is self-sufficient enough), whereas Voyager would take thousands of years to make the trip.

I agree. This show is all about the characters and the relationships. The space-opera battles are secondary, at best.

Also, is it just me, or does Alara have just about the sexiest mouth in the universe?

Halston Sage is ridiculously attractive. For that matter, so is Adrianne Palicki.

Apparently Seth MacFarlane and Halston Sage are dating in real life, which fails the “half his age plus 7” standard: He’s 44, she’s 25. And wow, the gossip rags list of his girlfriends reads like a who’s who of my biggest crushes: Emilia Clarke, Eliza Dushku, Alexandra Breckenridge, Kaylee Defer, (a bunch more names I don’t know), and now Halston Sage? That’s guy’s living [del]my[/del] the dream.

She’s cute for sure. (McFarlane has good taste and good fortune.)

Anybody else think Isaac is quietly the MVP?