The Out of the Park 5 Thread!

So, I know there are plenty of ootp4 fans on the boards…who’s made the upgrade? I got it on friday, as soon as it came out, and all I can say is “Wow.” The manager mode rocks. It seems faster. The html reports are great. The new 5 star rating system is amazing. And Markus has promised a patch by wednesday for any issues that are causing people problems. I’m in baseball heaven! Well worth the $30.

You should join the SDMB OOTP league next season.

If you’ll have me, I will.

Yes, you should (looking for some expansion teams to scoot into the basement underneath you, JC?).

OOTP5 will be mine as soon as I can sort out the cash for it.

I’m concerned, though, that it’ll ruin me for the OOTP4 game we’re currently playing. And the dynasty I’m building in my solitaire game. Flymaster, tell me, have you imported an OOTP4 league into OOTP5? How easy is it? How comprehensive? Or did you just start from scratch?

I just started over. But I’ll import right now and see what happens. How’s that for service?

Well, that was quick and easy. However, the message boards have recommended that you do it before you click the “proceed to preseason” button, between seasons. I just picked a random time, to test it. I don’t know where I was in my season. The only problem I really had was that there’s no file…open type menu. You have to type in the path to your league manually. Other than that, no complications.

Damn, I hate to do this, but it just reminded me. If you do buy the game, and are going to start over, try to wait till the patch comes out on wednesday to do so. There’s currently a bug with fictional catcher generation, so that they never get range higher than a C, and if it’s a custom league, they ALL get D’s. It’ll be fixed on wednesday, hopefully.

I downloaded the game, but haven’t paid for it yet. I’ll be doing that soon enough.

As for joining the league Flymaster, send me an email. We’re in the middle of a season now (check us out at ootp.izev.com), and I will bring up the issue of expansion after the season. I should point out, however, that for the forseeable future, we’ll be using version 4.2, not 5.

Zev Steinhardt

Dammit, I just finished a season, barely a week into the new one. Why oh why didn’t I plan ahead! Maybe I’ll just be a rebel and move it over in the middle of a season. I live on the edge!

Alternatively, I could just bite the bullet and sim the whole season in one swell foop. But where’s the fun in that? Hmm…

Thanks so much for the help Flymaster. Now I’m really excited.

zev, as far as expansion, am I correct in thinking that we’d need 4 new teams to expand appropriately? I can’t really come up with a fair scheme to have one 6-team league and one 4-team league, and I doubt the game would be able to handle anything other than one playoff team from each league anyway. If so, we should start recruiting asap, imho.

Well, certainly there are ways to schedule it. The AL and NL have had differing numbers of teams for a long time. Since 1977 as I recall.

Man, is this fun.

Scheduling would be easy, but the teams in the smaller league would have an easier time of it, at least probably. Actually, now that I think about it more, that’s not necessarily true.

You’re right about the fun though.

I just dusted off my OOTP games and I saw something really cool. I was playing a few games in my solitaire league in OOTP5 (I played through 2007 in OOTP4 then ported over for '08) and I had my first brawl!

My squad was beating up on a club that’s been one of my traditional rivals but had fallen on hard times of late. My All-Star shortstop in the 3-spot and my hard-hitting first baseman batting cleanup had hit back to back homers in the previous inning, and then when my SS came up again the very next inning, he clobbered another one to make the score 11-3 in the bottom of the 6th. My 1B came up and got plunked on the first pitch – and he rushed the mound! He slugged the bastard!

The bench-clearing brawl was a much ballyhooed feature of OOTP5 that I had not as yet experienced. It was awesome!