The Outer Worlds - now THIS is what I was waiting for

I did not dislike Fallout 4 at all. In fact, it was a really great game in many ways and showed a lot of effort and detail went into it. It was, to me, the worst of the main Fallout games(Fallout 1-4 + New Vegas). OK, enough about that.

The Outer Worlds is the game I have been waiting for or at least it is so far. I am about 5 hours in and it has really been more what I was hoping for when I heard that Obsidian(they made New Vegas) was making a new game. I have heard that it is only 15-30 hours long and I am actually OK with that.

Pros:

• Your character isn’t voiced and you see exactly what your speech options are

• You can take two companions with you and they, so far, are actually interesting

• I am actually preferring this games version of VATS, which is more like Dead-Eye from Red Dead Redemption 2.

• Story is pretty engaging up to this point

• Satisfying leveling, perks, skills, etc. Great weapon drops as well.

• A very clear quest tracker ←-essential to me!

Cons:

• I have heard the game is short. I don’t consider this a major con. I don’t need 50-75 hours of gameplay right now.

• No open world. I do love Fallout, Skyrim, Breath of the Wild and the open world style. This game has areas/regions more like an older style game. I haven’t minded yet, but exploration is not a major feature and that probably contributes to the shorter length.

I’m only 5 hours in, but what were your thoughts on the game? I’ll update while I play. Let’s box any spoilers for now, if you would.

I really wanted to love this game. I even paid full price for it, something I very rarely do, when it came out in 2019. And yet, a year and a half after finishing it, I can barely remember a thing about it. It’s well-meaning but essentially ho-hum, lacking the “wow factor” of a truly great game. I’m not talking about graphics (although visually, it’s nothing to write home about), but more about storytelling and character. For instance, a good game feels like it has its own internal life; here, it felt like everyone was just standing around waiting for me to interact with them. A good game gives you choices that feel organic to the story; here, I felt like I was playing a flowchart. It just didn’t work for me. Sorry.

is that the game that has cute little ads that give ya game clues … I remember one about “auntie maes diet toothpaste” that was that was an appetite suppressant that had horrible side effects they were hiding and set on a planet that was run by robber baron types

My sentiments exactly; as a big fan of New Vegas I had high hopes. But while the humour was intact, it felt very on-rails and lacking in immersion. But I should probably revisit it one day.

Outer Worlds was certainly inviting comparisons to the best parts of the new Fallout games, but it’s probably unfair to do that to any game. I enjoyed it just fine.

Almost everything in the game - plot, dialogue, weapons, combat - is pretty darn good. The humor and aesthetics, especially the retrofuturistic advertisements, are really darn good. On the whole, it was a good game.

It’s definitely smaller in scale than a New Vegas size game. I appreciate the writing in this game much more than Fallout 4, though. I feel like comparisons to Fallout 4 are warranted since they came out at a similar time. Fallout 4 is much bigger, but less funny and engaging to me.

They polished a small game instead of making a massive one. I can respect that. I just approached a secret lab that had a big sign called “Auntie Cleo’s Secret Lab” and even my companion commented, “Uh, nice of them to put a sign up for us.”

I don’t remember anything as charming as that in Fallout 4 and I do remember things like that in Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

I think that’s exactly the right way to put it.

I played it at launch on Game Pass which was nice since I didn’t feel obligated to finish it. I got as far as running around the space station and thought the overall game was nice and world building was decent (if a bit overboard) but wasn’t in love with character advancement and vaguely remember having issues with the combat.

To be fair, though, Space Opera Science Fiction is probably my least favorite setting – loved Dragon Age: Origins, never got into Mass Effect – so it had a strong uphill climb to start with.

Steam tells me I’m 14 hours in, having bought it in early February. I can’t disagree with any of the comments thus far.

At this point, having completed the first two “planets”, I just don’t feel the urge to continue. I’m disappointed in my perk choices now; I’ve only taken “the best of what’s left” choices the last few level-ups, and there seems nothing game-changing or even truly interesting in what is available to me (tier 2).

Combat difficulty seems about right for this old man. But I’m very much an explorer (and builder), and The Outer Worlds doesn’t offer much of the former, and none of the latter.

Still, I’d heartily recommend at half-price.

I have mixed feelings about The Outer Worlds, but in general, would say it is a good game, that fell short of greatness, a B+ to the A+ that I would give F:NV for example. Now in part, that’s inevitable: OW is spending a lot of time establishing it’s own background, style and story while NV jumps in mixing the new elements with a pre-existing background that it doesn’t have to explain in depth.

My biggest peeve though, is that it constantly winking at me about planned DLC and sequels. The planets that are on your map but won’t be able to explore until the DLC or what the heck happened on Earth, etc. This is not a flaw unique to OW, but it’s the one that constantly yanked me out of immersion.

Okay, so like the OP, I’ll do a pro / con list, and please remember, overally, I DO recommend the game, just some things work better than others.

PRO

Skills + Perks - thank god we have this back, and in a way that reflects the names. Skills are what you use all the time, and fundamentally allow you to get things done. Perks accentuate the style of play or give you quality of life improvements.

Amazing character customization - (but see cons for this as well) You have a ton of control over how you look, even more so that in an [unmodded] Fallout 4. Male, female, non-binary, old, young, and in all colors of the rainbow.

Companions - Okay, the combat AI still suffers from the flaws of every companion AI in every game out there so that’s a pass, but otherwise it’s done very well. Since the companions each have a unique skill, you are much more likely to swap out than in Fallout series, and as their skills contribute to your own, you can mix and match to accentuate your strengths or patch over your weakness. While it was a ‘Con’ for some people, I found that NOT being able to romance your companions was a good thing - you weren’t tweaking your playthrough specifically to seduce a mechanical NPC.

Choices have consequences - While not perfectly implemented, this was still a better performance that most Fallout and Mass Effect style games to this point. If you side with X vs Y, then perhaps Y will no longer be available for you. I’m being general of course to avoid more spoilers. In most games of this style, the choices really only matter to the final ending, or maybe a choice of weapon/perk A or B. Sadly, this is strongest towards the beginning, and gets weaker as the story goes towards the ending.

Which brings me to CONS

Endings - okay, ignoring the hilarious option where you skip yourself into the Sun you have only two endings, and the game prior to your final decision makes it quite obvious how bad the consequences of one of them will be. For that matter, even in a game where choices matter, and with an in-game affinity system with factions, they will always let you choose from either until you get to the system warned final point.

Equipment - I strongly disagree with the OP here, the weapon and equipment system is about 2 generations outs of date. You have the now traditional 3 classes of armour: light, medium, heavy but other than for stealth, you will always want the most protective. There isn’t a requirement for the use of any of it, and the options are pretty much the same for all types. The customization of the weapons belies the the paucity of types - figure you’ll find roughly 10 basic weapons, and 10 basic armours, and then higher level versions of the same. That’s it. While you can customize, there are very, very obvious best choices, and the limiting factor tends to be the ammunition available.
This honestly reminded me more of Fallout 4 than NV - in NV, you had tons of local, regional, and ‘modern’ firearms, using widely varied ammo, which you could further customize in terms of performance vs endurance. Sure, you had fewer options to customize the weapons, but that was 10 years ago. In Fallout 4, you also have a paucity of weapons, but you have 10 times the customization.
Which brings me to my Pro point earlier. Why the hell have the character customization if you have no real third person POV. You will never see your character outside of the character screen. You have the same sort of toggle on/off helmet of the Mass Effect series, and you’ll see your companions in detail, but you? You might as well be faceless. /rant off.

Okay, I’ve already written a book, and most of the rest of the issues have been brought up before or are personal issues. For example, yeah, the ‘weird science’ weapons are cool, but are so niche that you’ll likely never use them, or that there are tons of cool NPCs with fun backstory elements that just . . . . stop. Etc. The point is, while the game feels polished, it feels like it polished many of the more traditional open world/side story elements off in order to streamline your path to the end . . . which is one of the games weakest points.

My final judgement will wait until the second DLC is out (I have played the first and it suffers from the ‘all equipment in the dlc has to be better than the stuff in the base game’ issue), but my judgement isn’t likely to change - a good game that falls short of greatness.

ETA - like Fallout 4, this game would hugely benefit from player created Mods, where the shortness, customization, and other flaws could be adjusted to meet the preferences of the player. Sadly, due to structure and interest, this is largely not a possibility. :frowning:

Trailblazing for Cyberpunk 2077!

I sort of remember this. None of the perks really felt fun or like they’d change up my play style or make me unique from someone who picked different perks, just give minor mechanical bonuses. Which was disappointing.

I have a somewhat related question:

I own Borderlands 2 and the Pre-sequel. I’ve never touched them and would only be interested in the single-player modes.

Are they RPG like in anyway? I am tempted to try the single-player campaign for Borderlands 2, but I have no idea what to expect. I thought I had heard that it had very satisfying equipment/gear drops and people enjoying powering up and becoming stronger.

I am not sure how hard Borderlands 2 is, but I might give it a shot. Similar at all to Outer Worlds or totally different?

There’s a narrow skill tree and I suppose you can buy guns. Aside from that, there’s not a lot of RPG in BL2. It’s a looter-shooter which plays about exactly as the name implies. You shoot lots and lots of guys then collect lots and lots of loot. Most of it will be junk but you get just enough upgrades that sometimes you hit that “Ok, now things are awesome” high for a few levels then do it all over again. It’s not a complicated or intellectual loop by any means but it is pretty fun.

It does have a somewhat open world and side missions and stuff if that helps to qualify it as “RPG like” in your opinion.

It has difficulty settings. And it doesn’t really get hard until you’ve won the game and go into Ultimate mode (i.e., do it all again with the difficulty jacked up). So you can experience the story the first time around pretty easily.

It’s an RPG in the sense that you can wander around and interact with colorful characters, some of whom have fun dialog. It’s not an RPG in that you don’t have any choices to make - you talk to people, take missions, and then do them. It also has decent character customization and the greatest variety of weaponry in gaming history. It’s a fun romp. I’ve played through Borderlands 2 at least 3 times.

It’s not that similar to Outer Worlds; It’s much closer to the Diablo games, except it’s a first-person shooter.

Borderlands and Borderlands 2 are two of my most-loved games (I didn’t finish 3); while I am (gasp!) not a fan of comic books, this is what I think playing a comic book is like. It has a unique (or at least at the time) visual style that is reminiscent of comic books, and a very good sense of humor (especially in some of the DLC, which these days you get bundled into one of the GotY editions).

They’re a really fun romp with customizable difficulty. I definitely recommend giving them 3-5 hours (there’s a bit of a run-up while it unfolds the setting) to see if they’re you’re cup of tea.

And they are, IMO, FANTASTIC as co-op games. Besides the original HALO and Battlefield: Bad Company 2, my all-time favorite co-op games.

I am not great at first person shooters, but I have never felt outclassed by the Borderlands games with most characters*, at least until the second level of “New Game Plus”. In fact, if you do every side quest, you might feel over-leveled at various points. The only real RPG-like element is picking from the various skill trees for your character, but the stories are pretty fun.

*Krieg from the Borderlands 2 DLC took some getting used to, at first.

I have put about 20-21 hours into The Outer Worlds and I am very impressed. Once you accept that it isn’t a open-world game like Fallout leaned towards, it’s great. In fact, it’s a great Fallout game. The more you play, the more you realize how much Fallout is in its genes.

I think the sense of humor was not up to snuff in Fallout 4. It’s been a lot of fun to see it return in Outer Worlds. It’s great that the things I am going to say are actually there on screen instead of just “hints” as to what I might say, which is what Fallout 4 did. I would encourage a return to the silent protagonist for Fallout 5. It’s strange how being silent improves the game a lot.

I am very impressed with the companions in this game. No love story between you and them. They comment a lot on what is going on and there are a lot of conversations between them while you walk through town.

Today, I completed the DLC Peril on Gorgon and it was excellent. I just read the second(and final?) DLC is coming out in 5 days and I am hoping I can just grab it the day of release and continue it. If not, I may return after a short break.

I will say that I have become massively powerful. I emphasized handguns as a skill for myself and I have modded & tinkered a couple guns(one plasma, one shock) so well, creatures and robots fall very quickly. I actually don’t mind. I think I could turn the difficulty up to high, but I am just fine where I’m at.

This is a great game and while smaller than Fallout 4, it is much better.

I just had a great gaming moment.

I had to “skip”, which is basically lightspeed jump, a ship a very short distance to get into orbit around a planet. I chose to allow my computer to do it for me, but I literally held my breath. The computer warns you repeatedly how dangerous a short jump like that would be and another computer even says it will probably kill everyone, including an entire planet, but I went ahead.

When the ship re-emerged safely in orbit, I let my breath out and was hugely relieved.

Gaming moments like that are rare and it was great.

Yes, I looked up what happens if I choose to control the “skip” myself. Yep, we fly right into the sun. I knew that was the wrong choice.

Might want to blur or otherwise obscure the spoilers. Just a thought.

I got The Outer Worlds with a gift card when it was on a small sale. That was a while ago, I think around Christmas of ‘19. I thought the story and dialogue and world were really fun but thought combat was “meh” until I got far enough to mod a shotgun to set things on fire. All of a sudden I was having so much fun fighting.

It’s a good game. Not a great one, but solid. I certainly like it. I lost interest after a bit, it’s one of those games I plan to go back to eventually.