The Ox-Bow Incident

Has anyone ever seen this? I just watched it for the first time, and…wow. Beautifully acted, and beautifully shot, and all in a very tight 75 minutes. The cinematography was incredible. The portrayal of mob mentality was one of the best I’ve ever seen – and without giving way to hysteria. Highly recommended.

I love this movie. It’s one of my favorite Westerns. It has stood the test of time, too. I still get a lump in my throat.

One of my favorites as well – I need a DVD of that, thanks for reminding me.

I have yet to see the movie (which I’d previously heard was quite, quite good); the book by Walter van Tilburg Clark is great. I read it in college, expecting a Western – it’s a pretty good Western, but I hearken back to it every time I see a mob mentality, in scales small and large, in effect.

I’ll definitely see the movie in the coming weeks.

Woody Allen (in early nightclub material): “My first marriage, or as it’s sometimes referred to, ‘the Ox-Bow Incident’…”

[hijack]

Walter Van Tilburg Clark, the author of the book, is a relative of mine on my mom’s side - like a great uncle or something…

[/hijack]

A great allegory, up there with the Crucible and High Noon in its use of an allegorical story to comment on the state of affairs in America in the 40’s and 50’s - e.g., Communist witch hunts, etc…

I’m just surprised this isn’t as well known as The Crucible or High Noon. It is definately as powerful, IMHO. This belongs in the category of bona fide overlooked classics.

I still have the DVD (got it through NetFlix); think I’m going to watch it again tonight with the audio commentary.