The page won't load......but.....

Ok.

Maybe this belongs in GQ, but I’m going to try in here first.

I use AOL as an ISP, but then I use IE 5.0 to surf the web.
Often, I will not be able to load the SD. This morning(saturday) I had this same problem. I can get the Big Straight Dope header up there, and I can see the links to the moderators, but then the page stops.

No matter how many times I refresh, it is all stuck.
However…

A couple of months ago I tried accessing it through AOL’s main browser, and it loaded up just fine.

So my situation is, I can get the SD to load through the AOL browser, but not through IE, even though I am at the same computer, loading it up at the same time.

I can still access other pages on the net with IE.
Does anybody know why? Or what I can do to fix it?

AOL has what’s known as a “resource leak;” instead of releasing computing power back to your system as it performs various chores, the AOL program accumulates this power and sits on it until your system gasps and crashes.

The first signs of this show up in the AOL browser, it spins and spins and spins and nothing happens and it times out.

What can you do about this? Reboot often. That releases resources back to your computer. Keep those caches cleaned out, too. This includes checking your browser settings so that temp files are automatically deleted and manually deleting the ones that escape that by yourself. (Do a “Find” from time to time for “tmp” and “chk” files. Delete the ones you find that are truly trash files.) Defrag regularly as well.

And use an external browser on AOL. For best results on this board, try Internet Explorer, vB is written with IE in mind.

your humble TubaDiva
Administrator

PS AOL seems to be having some internal problems lately, the situation as I outlined above happens more often and faster.

Except that Freedom seems to be having the opposite problem, TubaDiva. He says that he can access the page via the AOL browser, but not through IE. Anyone else know anything about this?

That’s what I get for reading posts before coffee. My apologies for seeing things entirely backwards.

Okay, this is a new one on me, obviously; usually the problem comes from the other way around. This is especially true when you consider that vB was written with IE in mind.

So let’s go back to the source here. Freedom, tell us about your IE installation; what version number? The only thing I can think of that might be causing you trouble is if you’re on an older version of IE, you need version 4 or higher.

Sorry again for my mistake and let’s see if we can’t get you reading.

your humble TubaDiva
Administrator