The Pessimism Thread

Pardon me if I remember incorrectly, but aren’t you like 16 years old? I think you’re a little young to be making such sweeping pessimistic generalizations.

Or, in keeping with the spirit of this thread… You’re only like 16, right? You don’t know squat about loneliness. It gets much worse.

I’ll never stop being an optimist and be as good a pessimist as these guys…

This is perfect for me. At least for the moment.

-I’ll never write a story I consider to be publishable (Everyone else loves my stories, but they tend not to be the kind that read a lot, i.e. more discerning, so that doesn’t help much).

-I’ll never find a job that I’m actually satified with.

-There will never reach a point where my car will work consisantly well for a period of several months at least without having ignition problems.

ok lets see…

I’ll never forget the bad things that I have put behind me in order to have a better life.
Hrmmm…That doesn’t seem so bad for some reason.
Life is already painful enough than to go through life being upset about yesterday. I’m not saying it’s better to forgive and forget. I’m saying it’s better to just deal with what life brings and move on.
Don’t forget just don’t give it the affect.

If I don’t quite reading the SDMB at work, I’m probably going to get caught and lose my job.

Man, I’m never going to get around to reading all of this thread.

The hamsters probably aren’t worki

There is no such thing as pessimism, it’s just realism.

Pessimistic enough?, Cheers Keithy

That is SO not true. As depressing as reality is, it can always get worse. Pessimists are those who obssess on such matters; you’re just playing pessimist.

'Possumist.

Literally everyone I know has a sex life except me. That tall, curvy brunette that I’ve had the hots for since my wife left and couldn’t do anything about because I was emotionally broken is on a date with my roommate. She shot me down when I propositioned her. He’s basically a shorter, pudgy version of me. They’re probably drunk & naked right now. Being a recovering addict sucks. I’ll never get laid again. I will die alone & unloved.

I’m 38 years old & my best years are behind me. They weren’t very good anyway. I get to watch my looks go, my knees & back go and I won’t be able to take those 4-day backpacking adventures with my dog that I’ve put off for the last 3 years.

My checking account was $320.00 US in the hole when I deposited my check today. After I collect rent from my roommates I can make the mortgage but not the utilities. They’re going to shut off the gas this week.

I killed those 2 processors because I didn’t know about the voltage jumper on the motherboard. I still don’t know which jumper it is or where it should be set to. I wasted $100.00 on legacy junk computers. I tore them down & when I put them together none of them would boot. I’ll never get them to work. I will never get the IT skills I need to move out of the drive-up window of home luser support & work a real IT job.

I can’t shoot myself because I still can’t legally buy a handgun. I have to live out this shit life until I die a little bit at a time.

Typing this post just made me feel worse.

Everyone will laugh at me now.

Aww, ratbites. I’m a lousy pessimist. I’m not even my own worst enemy. I have less than a year left before retirement, and I may not make it. Martha Stewart is rumored to be buying the plant, and she’ll probably lay everybody. Off, that is.

Even my name is Nott.:smack:

Everybody is having more fun than I am.

yeah, right - like any of this actually matters

we’re all gonna die - get over it. or not. don’t matter…

How Microsoft could Rule the World:
[ul]
[li]Microsoft attacks the Free Software Foundation, Red Hat, SuSE, Debian, and all other purveyors of free OSes as ‘engaging in anticompetitive behavior’: i.e., giving away their product (Linux). Microsoft has already said it cannot compete with Linux in terms of price, so this could simply be an outgrowth of that ‘tactical admittance.’[/li][li]The government (lead by Sen. Fritz Hollings (D, Disney)) makes DRM a required part of all hardware. This means that you can’t buy anything digital that doesn’t honor an onerous set of encryption standards and anticopying measures. Of course, this is given teeth by the DMCA, which makes it a federal crime to circumvent copyright protections. In other words, “It’s insecure, but you’ll do hard time if you notice.”[/li][li]Micrsoft’s Palladium takes advantage of the above by being the only OS that was built to run on DRM hardware. All other OSes are essentially outlawed because only MS-Windows can make use of DRM hardware. The Free Software Foundation, Red Hat, and all the others, mortally weakened by the first actions, cannot fight this and go gently into that good night, taking all hopes for a non-Microsoft OS on Intel hardware with them.[/li][li]Apple is forced to deal with Microsoft to stay afloat. Since all Macs are now illegal (the entire OS is now considered a ‘copyright circumvention device’ and is prohibited to anyone under the DMCA), Apple has to get the Palladium specifications out of Microsoft. The cost? Their ability to operate as a truly independent corporation. Since Palladium is Microsoft’s toy, and since any OS legally has to emulate Palladium to be salable in the US, and since Microsoft will be changing the Palladium standard early and often to make older systems completely incompatable with new ones, anyone who wants to sell software in the US now has to be a Microsoft-approved corporation. Apple becomes a Potemkin corporation, fully controlled by Microsoft, existing solely to serve as spurious ‘proof’ that Microsoft isn’t a monopoly.[/li][/ul]All of this is possible. Large portions have happened (the DMCA is real law, the DRM legislation is in Congress, and Palladium is in the works). It could happen.

Is it plausible? I don’t know. I hope not. It presumes that everyone rolls over for Microsoft and the extremist pro-copyright faction of Congress, and that Microsoft displays a level of control over the government, and intelligence, that it hasn’t yet shown itself to have.

I’ve probably painted an overly-gloomy picture of the future. But it is, by and large, plausible in broad strokes: Things are getting more restrictive in Microsoft’s favor due to an absolutely insane reading of copyright law. It’s getting so you can’t even make legal copies of things you own without wondering if you’re breaking the law. And god forbid you share with friends!

Remember kids, sharing is wrong!

(Gotta ban that Commie Sesame Street now… )

I found this very amusing.

It’s depressing, how easily amused I am these days.

Oh god.

-My grandmother died today. The whole day I’ve just felt numb–I don’t know how to act, how to be, whether to do homework or not.

-My mother didn’t get to see my grandma before she died. “Your mother has a horrible, horrible disease,” said the nurse to me (my mom has ALS.) Yep, charmed life I lead, as does everyone around me.

-My sex drive = 0 for the past 4 months. 0. 0.

That last gripe feels pathetic compared to the other two. I guess that somes me up pretty well right now.

1. I will never have any sort of love life, ever. (with the way I look, it’s no wonder)

2. I will never have a job.

3. Nobody really likes me for myself… they’re just lying when they say they do.

4. Is this all there is, really?

F_X

I’m never ever going to get this page to parse, not if I sit here and recode the damn thing all night.

My puro buddy with the pervert beard scared away the blood donation girl.

Yes, I REALIZE that made no sense. Let me try again.

I have two distinct groups of friends - those who watch pro wrestling, and those who are sensible. Of those who watch wrestling, several watch Japanese pro wrestling, or ‘puroresu.’ Puro tends to be more technical, less gimmicky and generally more “real”-looking than American wrestling.

One of my puro buddies is absolutely freaky-looking, with a pervert beard, bad teeth and glasses. The whole #!.

I met an absolutely wonderful girl (Jessica) at the blood drive on Wednesday. There was much flirting, and after she started stroking the scar on my arm, another girl volunteered me to walk Jessica to her next class.

Well, Friday morning, I was chatting Jessica up and Jason with the pervert beard came over and asked me a question about Hulk Hogan busting out a flying cross armbar on the Great Muta back in 93. Jess mysteriously had to go to class half an hour early.

I sobbed.

1. I’m nobody’s best friend.

2. I’m gonna have horrible acne scars (been on frickin’ Accutane for 5 months and practically no improvement).

3. I’ll never have a healthy romantic relationship.

4. It’s only a matter of time before my parents find out my most shocking, humiliating secret.

5. I’ve had two SOs. I hated both of them after the first week.

6. I’m really, really stoopid. :confused:

7. I really should have sent in my college applications right now, but I’m incapable of writing a decent essay. That and I still don’t know what type of school I want to go to. Hoo, boy.

8. I’m gonna die of a heart attack in my 40s, just like most of my ancestors on my dad’s side. The difference between them and me is that I’m basically sedentary.

9. I’m a spoiled, unappreciative brat, which explains why I’m so pessimistic.

10. Who am I kidding? I’m gonna be stuck in this miserable little state forever.