The Pineapple and the Hare

Yeah, we all know pineapples are into the kinky stuff. But this was a test for school children so let’s keep it out of the gutter.

1. Because pineapples are delicious.
  2. Clearly the Hare. He got some good exercise, he won a ninja (and a lifetime supply of toothpaste), he succeeded against adversity (everyone cheering against him) and he got to eat some pineapple.

You are the wisest.
The story (the pineapple and the hare story) is attributed to Daniel Pinkwater but they totally changed the story he wrote (in Borgel). It was a story about an eggplant and a rabbit. It makes so much more sense that way.

Jesus. I’d like to take the pineapple and use it to beat the test developers to death. Would take that be wrong?

The article, the text of the story, the questions, and the possible answers at the article in the OP’s link, have all changed since this afternoon. For example, the Owl is now a character in the story, and the ninja and toothpaste are nowhere mentioned. No mention of this update accompanies the article.

Yay, NY Daily News! Way to be credible!

The Wall Street Journal’s interview with Pinkwater is a hoot.

Wait a minute, I voted based upon the story I read yesterday, where the prize was ninjas and toothpaste and the moose said “Pineapples don’t have sleeves”.

Did the NY Daily News originally rely on an 8th grader’s memory of the question for this article?

To be fair, the guy’s been a top DN reporter since the 5th grade.

That interview is worth reading for anyone in this thread. Pinkwater seems like a pretty amusing guy, and he’s clearly aware of the absurdity of this situation.

The pineapple story was adapted from a passage in one of Pinkwater’s novels, and in the context of the novel it’s apparently meant to be a sort of Grandpa Simpson-esque nonsensical fable told by an old man who is, or is pretending to be, senile.

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

That’s why we killed all the talking animals, to put an end to bullshit like this. In fact really we should kill off a few more classes of talking creature since the smell of bullshit is still too strong.

Cool story, bro.

So is anyone going to tell me what happened to Skald?

Well, I’d tell you if I knew. IIRC he just left the boards – I think he said he was leaving, but I don’t recall that there was any specific reason offered. Maybe he just felt he was spending too much time here.

I changed my mind. The hare is the wisest, he wouldn’t lose anything from losing the race (except the race- well, you know what I mean), but he would gain ninjas and toothpicks if he won. Therefore, agreeing to race is preferable to turning out pineapple down.

Possibly this is the only test question that they could write after eliminating all of the banned concepts.

I put annoyed and owl, but only because I’d already read the article. It’s weird that in the OP story, the owl doesn’t appear at all. I mean, whole thing is weird, but that’s *particularly *weird.

Wait, never mind–it has anthropomorphism. No idea how this made the cut.

The story in the original NY Daily News article, at the OP’s link, had the story as the OP posted it. They made extensive changes to their article, including a version of the story that wasn’t, apparently, written by an 8th grader.

(Just so you don’t blame Cheesesteak for there not being an owl in the OP.)