[QUOTE=Ethilrist]
but, actually, kinda poignant… it’s like something out of Bloom County. They shut down main street so the President and his entourage could drive through, and it looks like they had to send people on ahead to clear out the tumbleweeds… except for these three people waving little flags and recording them driving by… they needed a drummer, bass and trumpet player standing on a street corner playing “Hail to the Chief” for it to be perfect.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, there ya go! That’s what I had in mind. ![]()
You people need to look at this as a “half glass full” sort of thing.
This story gave me a nice warm feeling inside. And a big grin.
The only problem that with all the love you can feel in here, this this doesn’t feel like a pit thead at all.
[QUOTE=madmonk28]
It is amazing to me that Bush’s approval rating is as high as it is. Who are these people who think he’s done a good job?
[/QUOTE]
That wold be the infamous Crazification Factor.
This story made my day. I must remember to share it with my Government classes!
[QUOTE=Liberal]
Such sanctuaries are often referred to as “Emerald City”.
[/QUOTE]
Sigh… If only we could send him to Oz. That’s the HBO Oz, by the way.
[QUOTE=Colibri]
To steal from The Daily Show, 30% of the American public think Bush is doing a good job. Coincidentally, that’s the same percentage that think Adam and Eve rode around the Garden of Eden on dinosaurs.
[/QUOTE]
I think the latter number is closer to 50%, unfortunately.
It’s “schadenfreude”, no “u” in the first syllable. Being a terrible speller myself, btw, I get not sense of shadenfreude in the mispellings of others.
I’m surprised he didn’t go “Hey y’all, I just flew in from Whizzz-consin and gotta take a Pee-oria. Which way to the rest room? Heh heh hehe.”
I hope the breakfast special was a good one.
This story warms my heart.
That sounds eerily like an SNL sketch from the 80’s, in which Bush père (Dana Carvey), whose approval ratings were also tanking, went into a diner with his Secret Service detail to try to muster up support—and met with a similarly chilly reception. He wandered around uncomfortably, muttering something like “hello there… Desert Storm… hi, how are you doing today…Desert Storm…” and every few seconds asked his aide if it were time to leave yet.
Wonder if Dubya ever saw that sketch.
I’m still trying to get my head around the fact that apparently Peoria went rushing out to Sterling Avenue with its minicam–and then posted the whole 35 seconds of it to Youtube. “Oooh! Look, Paw! Limousines!! Land sakes!”
And the mommy’s encouraging-small-children voice in the background, “Wave-wave! Wave-wave!” Must be part of that 30%…
The neatest thing about that video was when the camera picked up on a panel truck about 2/3 of the way through and followed it. It obviously wasn’t a part of the presidential motorcade. Just some farmer hauling hay, likely thinking, “Damn, must be another election comin’ up.”
[QUOTE=Vinyl Turnip]
Wonder if Dubya ever saw that sketch.
[/QUOTE]
Maybe he thought it was a documentary?
That reception almost makes me proud of my hometown – if only most of them hadn’t voted for W twice.
[QUOTE=John Mace]
I think the latter number is closer to 50%, unfortunately.
It’s “schadenfreude”, no “u” in the first syllable. Being a terrible speller myself, btw, I get not sense of shadenfreude in the mispellings of others.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for telling me this nearly five hours after I can’t use the ‘Edit’ function on the OP! ![]()
[QUOTE=Liberal]
President Bush in Peoria
[/QUOTE]
Just needed a farmer going the other way to turn his muck-spreader on. ![]()
Or a Dave Matthews Tour Bus.
[QUOTE=RTFirefly]
Thanks for telling me this nearly five hours after I can’t use the ‘Edit’ function on the OP! ![]()
[/QUOTE]
nice of you to not mention his gaffe
(underlining added)
Oy whoosh, my dear.
[QUOTE=El Cid Viscoso]
Oy whoosh, my dear.
[/QUOTE]
:smack: