The recipe thing

Just like the other threads in which recipe spam occurs it only takes 2-3 people to spam other threads with the same justification.

In 1985, that was available in every corner drugstore.

The problem with this, although I’m sure many will believe it isn’t a problem at all, is that it encroaches somewhat on the prerogative of the mods to identify and deal with trolls. If the OP is in fact a troll then he or she should be banned as such. If they are not banned then it’s clear the mods do not believe that they are trolls, or if they do they don’t think the trolling is bad enough to require action. In effect the recourse to recipes by posters is doing the mods’ job for them. If the mods are OK with that then fine, let the fun continue. (And actually I think it’s a neat idea.)

I think I proposed it here. It was used very effectively in the usenet days on the alt.folklore.urban boards. That was the early days of the internet, I was last active of that newsgroup back in 1997. Dial up folks, kicking it old school.

It was used sparingly, you wouldn’t just whip it out in the middle of a thread, but it could provide a circuit breaker for inflammatory threads.

Clue me in…

Clueless about OP…

in-joke way of closing ears and going nyah-nyah-nyah when a scent of trolling is in air?

I’m tragically unhip.

Yeah, that’s about it.

Sometimes we think someone is a troll but don’t have enough evidence yet to pull the trigger. Also, as has been explained before, a certain degree of trolling is tolerated in the Pit. So the fact that a poster hasn’t been banned yet doesn’t necessarily mean they’re not trolling. In the Pit, posters are generally free to react as they wish.

Can someone post a cite to OP incident(s)? I’d like to see the style and format.

Try this one. Recipes start at post 3.

BTW, that thread is not exactly typical. Recipes usually start a little later.

It’s still feeding a troll.

No-We are merely giving them recipes and hoping they will feed themselves.

There’s a West Wing episode from 2001, The Stackhouse Filibuster, in which the senator must just keep talking in order to keep the floor, and at one point starts reading recipes.