The "Salish Sea"? A little renaming around Vancouver Island

I was just reading a travel article about Vancouver Island which mentioned that the straits separating it from the mainland (the Strait of Juan de Fuca, the Strait of Georgia, and Puget Sound), have been collectively named “the Salish Sea”. They will retain their individual names as features of that Sea.

http://communities.canada.com/vancouversun/blogs/thesearch/archive/2009/11/02/the-salish-sea-it-s-official.aspx

It seems it’s time for me to visit BC again. They’re renaming things out from under me.

BC…
:: longing ::

I liked my title better. :smiley:

I’m closer to Vancouver than I am to my office. I could walk to BC if I wanted to. I can see Saturna Island from my house. Nice area up here.

Why am I in Toronto again?

• sigh *

Incidentally, it’s about 6ºC here now. :stuck_out_tongue:

We had blue sky today. A perfect winter day. :slight_smile:

Incidentally, how do you say “Salish”? Rhymes with ‘saline’ or ‘sally’?

SAY lish, I’ve always heard it.

Apparently the name makes a lot of sense: the region as a whole has some interesting coherent ecological properties. (Also, it’s a pretty obvious thing on a map not to have a name. A little bit as though we were to have England, Scotland, and Wales but no name for the whole island.)

You can see Saturna? The East Point light? That island was my second home for close to 30 years - we had a cottage on East Point. At that time, we were the only ones there besides the lightkeepers and it was the greatest time of my life. Just the four of us kids (plus parents of course) and almost total freedom - beachcombing and fishing every day. We would get a visit from J Pod nearly every day.

I think I hate Ottawa.:frowning:

They should re-name it “The Big Friggin’ Rift That’s Going to Dump Vancouver in the Sea Sea.” But that’s just my opinion. :slight_smile:

10 degrees as I drove home from work today. And my spring bulbs are coming up.

17º right now.

It’s positively toasty!

Sometimes I see a light, but I’ve always assumed it’s a boat. According to my chart, the East Point light should be visible.

I finally got to Saturna Island this summer with friends. I like that place. Like so many others, I’m sure we took a jillion pictures at East Point park. And then from the mountain–wow. What a view! I didn’t see any of the feral goats, though.