The Shitcom: An American Tragedy

And then, think about the people of Mypos, where Cousin Balki was actually from!

Benson. I remember this as a one joke show. Some character would say something and Benson would make a wise-ass remark. Weirdly enough, it seemed like they reused the whole scenario when they made The Nanny.

My dad really likes this show called Becker. Since he doesn’t watch very much tv and he always raves about this one, I finally had to check it out. I don’t know what shows come on before or after it but it’s got to qualify as a shitcom just for its pure vileness. It’s one tired cliche, payed-out joke and a string of one-liners balled up together and cooked in raw sewage for 22 minutes.

I was gonna nominate Wings and Coach, both of which sucked the stank out of my sheeyot and were on so long their runs could be measured in geological time, but I’m not sure if either followed a hit.
Currently, I’d say Two and a Half Men fits the bill (or would have when it followed Everybody Loves Raymond), which, as far as I can tell, recycles jokes and plots from every other shitcom in history and melds them together into one unwatchable pile of ass tumors.

I remember an ad for Becker in which Ted Danson spies a co-worker’s coffee cup, reads it, and asks “You actually patronize an establishment called ‘Livin’ La Vida Mocha?’” Still ranks as one of the worst and most badly dated jokes I’ve ever heard.

You know some of us find solutions to problems instead of just pointing out faults.

:confused:

He may be referencing a Simpsons line.

Oddly, I was going to suggest How I Met Your Mother, but didn’t think it met the OP’s criteria because it preceded Two and a Half Men. Well, that and it hasn’t been around long enough for its full suckitude to be made readily apparent to the casual observer who judges it good based purely on the physical attractiveness of Ms. Hannigan.

Between those two shows, that’s a lot of ass tumors.

Who’s The Boss was truly horrible. First of all, Tony Danza…has there ever been a more talentless, smug, slimeball? The only fun in watching the show was the fact that everybody could see the child actor was turning Gay before your eyes, but they sort of danced around the obvious.

There’s massive point-missing afoot, Watson!

There have been legions of bad sitcoms; the OP is talking about ones that were propped up by good timeslots. I personally didn’t care for Night Court (kindergarten-level slapstick, followed by take-what’s-good-for-you doses of cod-liver sanctimony) but at the time it was between Cheers and L.A. Law, so I put up with it.

I always considered Mad About You and Caroline in the city to be calsssic shitcoms. It must be something about those half-hour staring times.

If “Blossom” wasn’t a shitcom, then I hope to never see one.

Wings was a very funny show.

You are so right. I’m one of the many who think the Simpsons has been headed downhill in quality for some time now, but then Fox brings out crap like this and comparatively the Simpsons still look like Shakespeare.

The show with David Spade and the daughter who worked at the magazine? With an ex-model and the photographer guy? And Dad, the clueless owner? I forget the name (obviously), but it fits the bill, I think. I did like it, but it’s not what you call a good comedy, by any means. It’s adequate, at best. Something to fill the time until the good show comes on.

So why the Hell are you watching it? I wonder how many of these shows stay on the air because of people too inert to turn off the tube, move off the couch and do something else for half an hour.

Mad About You was a number one show. It might have been shitty, but it doesn’t fill the bill as a shitcom.

Same with Raymond.

I think that Yes, Dear started out between the somewhat highly rated King of Queens and the very highly rated Everybody Loves Raymond, which put it into shitcom territory, but it has gone on and on and pulls in better numbers than KofQ now, IINM.

Simpsons is still Fox’s Sunday Night Anchor show. It has had shitcoms preceed it and follow it.

Most recently, of course, The War At Home. Does anyone remember Oliver Beene? Didn’t have the legs to make it into true shitcom territory but it was getting there. I think it came on between King of the Hill and Simpsons.

I’m pretty sure that comes on after Raymond. So yeah, it’s a shitcom.

Perfect Strangers was my absolute favorite show when I was a kid. I’m not being ironic. I wonder how it would hold up for me today.

I’m with you (tho my recollection of **The Single Guy ** is very hazy) but the last season of Suddenly Susan, with Eric Idle, blew chunks in spite of his presence there