The sideways peace sign and puckered lips. Whaddup wid dat?

Good point. I wasn’t watching closely, so I broke both.

I went back and “un-broke” the MTV link.

That prostitute that was David Spitzer’s favorite did something similar in the iconic photograph of her. I wonder if that helped popularize it.

It’s been pretty much de rigeur among teenage girls on social networking sites, and before that, on rating sites (facethejury.com, hotornot.com, etc.) for at least five-odd years.

“Myspace face” is a pretty good name for it.

It’s not a duckface, you philistines. It’s Blue Steel!

Taken from antiduckface.com, the subject(s) of the photo “pushes [their] mouth out in that weird combination of a pout and a kissy face to make it look like [they’ve] got big pouty lips and model-quality cheekbones…” The site also advises that people “STOP DOING IT. IT ISN’T SEXY. YOU LOOK STUPID. REALLY REALLY STUPID.” I completely agree.

Alright, so this is a combination of duckface and the rapper-styled peace out sign. Thanks for enlightening me.

I guess only from a parent’s perspective can you really see that to follow the ranks of nearly every single teenager around the world - rather than doing your own thing - is really not all that cool. Heh he.

Fuddy-duddy.

Although it seems unlikely to be what she intended, that one looks more like a British “V-sign,” which is a very different message from “peace” or “peace out.” It is the equivalent, in the U.K., of the American “finger.” (Not to be confused with the Churchillian “V for victory” sign, which is done with the palm facing outward. And surely the standard “peace” sign is done that way too.)

My daughter’s friend who does the V in all her photos is half Korean, so that fits with what even sven said. Could this be an Asian import?

Incidentally, can anyone explain to me what “peace out” means, as opposed to just “peace”? It is stated above that making the V sideways makes it mean “peace out” rather than “peace,” but what is the difference?

I think “Peace Out” is intended to be a farewell, a more contemporary version of something like “Over and Out” or “I’m outta here.” Much like Ryan Seacrest has a habit of saying, “Seacrest, out” I suppose, though that’s just his thing and more recent. I tend to think of the phrase having a comma: “Peace, out.”

Due to malware issues, I have removed the first link entirely. Those who for some reason really want to visit the site can go to encyclopediadramatica and search on Guidos.