The "Things I remember about McDonalds" Thread

Mmmmmm McDonalds!

What a great history! If anyone wants to play along, this thread is for remembering things about McDonalds.[ul][li]I remember when there was both a Quarter Pounder, AND a Quarter Pounder with Cheese on their menu.[/li][li]I remember styrofoam containers! naughty naughty[/li][li]I remember bun seed sesame a on onions pickles cheese lettuce sauce special patties beef all Two.[/li][li]You deserve a break today, so get up and get away, at McDonalds! We do all for you![/li][/ul]

The thing I remember is reading years ago that th genius of McDonalds’ advertising was that they were the first major food chain to not emphasise the quality of their food. See your last memory for confirmation.

The McDLT. They keep the Hot Side hot, and the Cool Side cool.

And I don’t have to just remember Styofoam containers, I still have one. How much do you think it’d go for on eBay?

I remember the McDonalds coloring calendars they gave out in the 70’s.

I remember when Ronald McDonald had his own song. ("Who’s the McGreatest McClown of them all / in the spring, summer, winter or fall? … ")

You mean there isn’t any more? Boy am I out of touch!

I remember when they invented chicken McNuggets.

I remember square plastic records that came in the newspaper that were part of a contest.

And I remember being able to sing the entire song too.

I remember winning a LOT of food in 1984. Heh heh heh.

I remember having McD’s for lunch once in a while as a treat when I was a kid. The restaurant was right across from the school and it was a big deal for my Grade 3 self. I seem to remember it costing two dollars for both my sister and myself, but that might be wrong. Hamburg, fries, coke each. This would have been maybe 1973 or '74.

I remember part of the parody song we used to sing in those days, to the tune of whatever jingle they had going on then:

McDonald’s is your kind of place
Hamburgs in your face
French Fries between your toes…
I remember the McRib sandwich too. Bleh.

I was nine years old when Happy Meals made their debut. I remember at the time the included prize was an eraser in the shape of Grimace or some other cheap-ass piece of plastic that could have just as easily been dispensed out of a gumball machine- no movie tie-ins then.

I also remember when we were collecting glasses that depicted each of the McDonaldland characters (Ronald, Hamburglar, Grimace, Mayor McCheese, etc.) I think we ended up breaking them as they were made of a very fragile glass. I imagine they’d be worth more money today.

Because the Soviets boycotted the Olympics, right? My family was on a three-week road-trip/vacation and we ate at McDonald’s often and we kept winning TONS of food! I thought it was the greatest thing ever!

I remember their slogan about getting a hamburger, fries and a Coke and “change back from your dollar.”

I remember the signs under the arches that told how many hamburgers had been sold and being amazed when it reached over 1,000,000!

And wasn’t it McDonalds who had the commercial with the song, “Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun”?

I remember their commercials that featured ‘Mac Tonight’, that big 1/4 moon-shaped face guy.

Quick, someone, give their ad campaign guys a raise!

I remember when McDonalds was fast AND clean.
Now, they are just filthy restaurants with slow, rude employees.

I remember when the “sandwiches for adults” at McD’s were Big Macs and Quarter Pounders. Kids ate hamburgers or cheeseburgers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3208524454&category=13592 (Sorry SC_Wolf, I couldn’t find any styrofoam containers. Hey, maybe you’re on to something!

I loved those ads!

Read my original post a little closer. :slight_smile:

I haven’t seen a Quarter Pounder (without the cheese) on a McDonalds menu for at least 15 years. Is that just a regional thing?

By the way, does anyone know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Europe? My sources say they call it a Royale with Cheese. I don’t know what they call Whopper, my source never went to Burger King.

Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don’t upset us… hey wait a second, I’m hijacking my own thread!

Back in 1996 they had the Arch Deluxe; you know, that quarter pounder on a kaiser roll with the horseradish-y sauce. It was aimed at “grown-ups”. I liked it, and was sad to see it go.

I remember everything else about McDonald’s from after 1983 or so, but it was already listed. And those records were just under the gun as far as technology advances; didn’t they come out around late 1988-1989, just when LP’s/45’s were gasping for air?

The Arch Deluxe.

One day we want to get one, and they said they were no longer selling it do to lack of sales. I always ordered the the arch deluxe meal. :frowning:

I remember when the Happy Meal came in a box.
I remember when they had recycling barrels in the store, in between the styrofoam/cardboard eras, to “save the earth.”
I remember the McLean Deluxe. It was delicious.
I remember when they got rid of the Filet-O-Fish.
I remember when the brought the Filet-O-Fish back.
I love the Filet-O-Fish.

Hamburglar with a pointy nose and a pointy chin. More evil-looking than today’s cutesy-fied version.

the McDLT, served in a white styrofoam container with the cold foodstuffs on one side and the hot on the other.

This is off topic, but what happened in 1984, did McDonalds offer free food if america won a medal, and with the USSR boycotting USA had no competetion? I remember the Simpsons putting on a parody of that with Krustyburger.

Krusty: “You people are pigs! I’m personally going to spit in every 50th burger!”

Enright3, I just re-read “bun seed sesame a on onions pickles cheese lettuce sauce special patties beef all Two” from your OP. And now that you mention it, I even remember trying to do that, back in the day. Clearly, you are better at this than I, and have given this matter a great deal of thought (or at least some thought). :smiley: I defer to your superior McDonalds trivia knowledge.