The Trump Administration: A Clusterfuck in the Making

When Trump finishes the magnificent wall that he promised to all of his fucking idiots, then he’ll surely make with the fabulous coal mining jobs that he promised to his fucking idiots. First things first, he’s not a miracle worker, you know.

I’m sure this has been posted, but as a reminder from last week:

EPA dropped salmon protection after Trump met with Alaska governor

Trump’s such a simpleton, one’s gotta wonder how much of fucking over the environment is revenge for the Scottish windmills.

Trump Hates Windmills—and It Has Nothing to Do With His Bogus Cancer Claims
Trump claimed Tuesday that windmills cause cancer. But his long hate-affair with the renewable energy began in 2006, when he didn’t wanted them near his golf course in Scotland.

[my bold]

Yes, the installation of windmills viewable from Trump’s golf course was one of the most damaging events in Scottish history.

Looks like Mel Gibson should have waited a few years before making his movie about Scotland; he obviously missed the true hardship Scotland has faced.

Trump flavored kool-aid is strong, I see:

https://shareblue.com/gop-senator-rick-scott-trump-trade-war-worth-it-recession/

If I didn’t know any better, it seems like a multimillionaire, acting as a proxy for the billionaire class, is trying to sell white America the idea that the upcoming recession isn’t a matter of failed economic policy, but rather economic patriotism and we should all just grit our way through it. So there you have it, folks. Something to chew on as your retirement accounts plummet and future job prospects dry up. No matter how badly the Republicans fuck up the country, it’s Chin’s fault, Iran’s fault, and most of all, your fault for not being smart enough to scam other Americans out of their money en route to becoming a millionaire. Tough shit, I guess.

I’m too lazy to look it up, but how much was China importing (both from the US and in general) prior to the trade war? And is it going to open up enough to at least match the agricultural products that we are no longer selling there?

Having worked for Scottish Power during a period in which wind farms were going up, can I now call myself a freedom fighter? Or maybe a freedom mercenary: I was, after all, being paid :smiley:

Many many many shiploads. Still are, but now they use sources other than the US for the stuff affected by the idiocy. The mayor of Barcelona is very, very popular in next-door L’Hospitalet because she’s been doing a lot of stuff that’s pushed business out of Barcelona and to LH: I understand that Trump is becoming similarly popular among soybean farmers in India for similar reasons. Note that in this case “popular” doesn’t equal “beloved”.

Hey, don’t knock it, this is the first I’ve heard from anyone about what the trade war might actually be about. Trump goes on and on about how he’ll get a great trade deal with China, but I don’t recall him ever saying what he actually wants out of it. Does he want more access to the Chinese market, intellectual property protections, no currency manipulation, or something else?

Has anybody heard him say what he wants out of this trade war? My cynical side thinks that Trump hasn’t said what he wants so that whatever deal is struck he can declare it a win. My sad, fatalist side is worried that Trump doesn’t even know what kind of deal he wants from China.

From reading far more of Trump’s words than anyone should over the past few years, I have concluded that all he wants from our trade relationships with other countries is a trade surplus. That’s it. All he sees is the money we spend; it’s as though the goods don’t exist.

He’s said several times that he wants to end trade deficits. I don’t know much about economics, but I know that if you’re the richest country in the world, with the highest standard of living in the world, you’re going to buy a lot of stuff, and usually more than other countries buy from you. It’s a sign of prosperity. But Trump somehow sees it as losing, and he wants it to end. So he’s working as hard as he can to end our prosperity.

It can be both.

Trump doesn’t understand economics–per Woodward’s book Fear, Trump suggested having the Treasury print up money to pay off the deficit. Remember, according to Trump, the Chinese are paying his tariffs to the Treasury. And, “Trade wars are easy to win”.

Trump went into this not really knowing anything himself–although, I’m sure some China hardliners were telling Trump things he thought sounded tough–and he’ll take anything he gets and declare it a win.

ETA seeing above posts: Yeah! Trade deficit bad! Surplus good! That’s about it.

Gah. Any photo of Rick Scott larger than 640x480px should come with a trigger warning.

I read somewhere, it may have been here, that in Trump’s world-view we all have trade deficits with every retail outlet we shop at. My grocery store chain buys nothing from me! They’re robbing me blind!

If irony ran the universe he would win his suit to have them removed and they would be replaced with a coal fueled plant right next door to his golf course. I’m sure he’d like that much better.

August 13, 2019
Ken Cuccinelli, the acting Citizenship and Immigration Services Director, says that the motto on the Statue of Liberty should be changed to ““Give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge.”

Give me your hungry, your tired your poor I’ll piss on 'em
that’s what the Statue of Bigotry says
Your poor huddled masses, let’s club 'em to death
and get it over with and just dump 'em on the boulevard

Lou Reed - Dirty Boulevard

It’s the other way around. Build the wall out of coal! Anyone who tries to climb it will get all sooty.

The coal in the wall will not be burned, so it will not contribute to global warming. I think you have something there!

Trump was supposed to give a speech on energy. He went way off-script.

Maybe he has a brain tumor?

Best quote:

That boy just ain’t right.

Alice who? Alice Kramden, Ralph’s wife??

Now Cuccinelli has a new spin on the Emma Lazarus poem: