The Web Communities outside of SDMB are scary places

The only other place I’ve seen that was even close to the level that this board is at is the board at www.launcherxplanet.com, which is an excellent unofficial board for users of the Launcher X program for Palm OS.

About four years ago I posted to some Star Wars board (it wasn’t TheForce.net—it may have been something on Yahoo!) about a hypothesis on how the Imperial March sounds a lot like the music from a scene in The Wizard of Oz (the music playing when Gulch is riding her bike to the Gale house), only slowed down. It was a question more than anything, and I have forgotten now where I first heard that hypothesis. I figured someone would know or someone there would have heard of it.

That was a mistake. First of all, nobody would admit that John Williams borrowed and adapted music from other composers. They basically treated him like a God. “How dare you say such things about a wonderful composer like him?” were the typical replies.

You should try again in the EU section. You probably ran into the dreaded Soul of the Jedi posters.

I’m a member of the Expanded Universe Defense Force. We don’t take that crap.

Yeah, I’ve had some pretty rough rides at other boards and some frustration too; stupidly tried participating in a moon landing hoax thread in an MSN community and it was a bit like like putting my head in a blender - politely ask for a citation on something and get a barrage of insults because I’m being horrible and oppressing their freedom of speech or some such.

From what I’ve seen, a good rule of thumb is that the narrower the board’s topic, the crazier the people who post on it get. This board, which encompasses all knowlege as its topic, is user friendly. But on a theoretical board dedicated to collecting 19th century Christmas ornaments you’ll find death threats in half the posts.

I was piled on in alt.fan-harry-potter for saying the sword of gryfindor was too short and weedy. People were mortally offended!

I still think it’s pathetically small, even in the hands of a 13 year old boy.

There’s a couple. I frequent the message boards of bands I like, and most of them are filled with young girls who don’t know that “OMG! I WANT TO MARRY [insert lead singer’s name]!!” gets old preeeetty quickly. I usually just skim over those trying to find worthwhile content.

But one, that irked me personally, was how in the mist of discussing the band, someone asked the opinion of a quite controversial female artist at the time, and I said that I didn’t like her music, I didn’t like her image, and I thought she was torture on the ears. Heh. A guy on there just went beserk!! He acted like I was insulting his mother. Or something worse than that. He kept repeating stuff like “If you don’t like her, you shouldn’t have opened this thread.” and “Well, your opinion is wrong.” What made it all so bad was how some of the other members agreed with him. It didn’t really anger me as much as it made me shake my head at his patheticness. It was a sad existance he lived.

H’uh. I don’t know about you, but I’ve never had THAT much bad luck-I’m a pretty big member of some other internet communities.

Weird.

You people should see some of the psychos on the Madonna boards…

I was once threatened because I joked about some rumours that Madonna was pregnant by her husband by saying; “Ooh, now her legitimate children will outnumber her bastards!” Dude, that’s comedy gold.

…And then there are the Kittens, AKA The Delusional Whores of Death and Decay. I met my G/F there, and then we both ran out of there with our jackets pulled up over our heads.