The Wonder Bread Giant

Several years ago, my Grandma told me about a man known as the “Wonder Bread Giant.” He was apparently some sort of mascot for Wonder Bread. I don’t know exactly how tall he was, but I’m quite certain that he was over 7 feet–my impression is 7’ 4", but I’m not sure.

I have tried to learn more about him, but Wikipedia, rather astonishingly, doesn’t have an article. I’ve tried Googling his nickname, lists of tallest people, and everything else I can think of, but no significant results. About the only thing I’ve found at all was a comment somewhere written by someone who had seen him at some event.

Does anybody know his real name, or anything else about him?

Maybe she (or you) was misremembering, and was really thinking about the Jolly Green Giant?

Or maybe she was a pro wrestling fan and was referring to Andre the Giant.

Or the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man?

No, there’s no way that it could be a case of mistaken identity. Somewhere–and of course I can’t find it now that I want it–my family has a picture of this man dressed in sort of a baker’s work uniform.

The only concrete mention of him that I have been able to find on the internet is on this page. Scroll down to the top comment.

http://skarlet.hubpages.com/hub/Acromegaly-Gigantism

I too have vague memories of a “wonder bread” giant.

I would estimate he must have flourished during the Kennedy administration.

Never heard of a Wonder Bread man. Maybe it was that tire mascot, a being made from tires?

Wonder Bread has been around for a long time, and changed ownership several times also. There were plenty of opportunities to have an advertising campaign with a giant in it. Their slogan was something like “Building bodies in 12 different way”, so using a giant to demonstrate the growing ability of the product would make sense.

Was he purple and crashing through walls and going, “Oh, yeah!”

Wonder Bread used as a steroid substitute.

Here’s another reference. Apparently he was quite real.

So that’s flyer, me and two guys on the Internet who remember him…

Was it the Wonder Bread He Man?

My wife remembers him too, a really big, tall white guy in a white and red uniform of some kind.

Definitely not the Wonder Bread He-Man.

I’m wanting to say he was called “Chris, the Wonder Giant.”
He was on either Captain Kangaroo, as a guest, or else on some local children’s show in about 1966, at least. I remember meeting/seeing him at some store. Don’t remember his face, tho, or his uniform.

It seems you’re right!

http://www.victoriagazette.com/July2009/index_Page326.htm

And this!

And here we see a newspaper ad from Fergus Falls, MN on July 8, 1964 touting an upcoming visit of Kris the Wonder Giant to the local Piggly Wiggly.

Ditto for an appearance at another locale on June 6th, 1963.

Sadly, doing an image search for Kris the Wonder Giant hasn’t produced a pic yet.

I did a web search for “picture of kris the wonder bread giant” and came up with [=wonder%20bread&filters[primary]=images&sort=1&o=26"]this picture](Photobucket | Make your memories fun![term).

Oddly…it’s in someone photobucket of Wonder Bread pictures.

Good job! We have a thread winner!

Huzzah!!

Gee, looking at him brings absolutely no memories of him back to me…