"The world's goin' to hell but I'm still here" MMP

Howdy everyone. I am making an effort to post more since I no longer have a life.

I took my old car for service yesterday and checked with Vrroommm or however it’s spelled and they will give me $8842 for it so once I get the new title in my name I shall sell it. The car has107,000 miles on it but is in real good shape. I’d drive it anywhere. The dealership where I took it yesterday was almost empty of cars. I thought they were going out of business but it’s because of the microchip shortage.

I am in the process (slowly) of getting my house in order. I have no motivation though. I have entirely too much stuff. I did throw out hubby’s grubby work shorts this week and shall finally take his nice shirts to the Salvation Army one day this week. Also extra dishes since its just me anymore. Folks it is weird living alone for the first time ever.

I bought a duster with an extension pole up to 20 feet to clean the cobwebs out of my very tall ceilings. I also told the guy running my A/C business I want all that stuff moved to a storage facility in the event I want to sell my house. The market is hot right now. My small house is worth a small fortune. I have a fear of missing out.

Here’s hoping everyone has a stellar week.

As far as holidays I consider Columbus Day the least necessary. When I was irking I enjoyed the free day off but agree with Moooommm on the others.

MIL is losing it. As background, we got them an Echo Plus a couple of years back because they wanted “an Alexa” - and we set it up in my name on my Amazon account since that’s where we bought it. I have an Echo Dot because I got it for free. For those who don’t have one of these devices, if there’s a notification for you, a green band will light up at the top of the device. Generally, I get severe weather notifications for this area, and I assume they get the same for Ocala.

But for some reason, notifications about my Amazon account sometimes go to their device, causing much confusion. MIL called to say Alexa told her there was a $741-something charge on the Amazon account. I checked Amazon and I checked my credit card, but nothing showed. So I went to the Alexa app on my tablet and found that past notifications are archived in a log. The only notification MIL got was about a $13.41 credit I got for a returned purchase. How she got $741 charge out of that perplexes me.

One thing I did see in the log, tho - every day, they ask Alexa what date it is. I find that sad. :slightly_frowning_face:

In an hour or so, I need to capture Ziva. Not sure how I’ll do it, but the bedroom door is closed, so that will help.

Heaved, ran things. I got gas on the way home.

Nettie, I have an Agent Orane thumb, too. :frowning:

Wordy, buy the coffee maker. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

So I made the ol’ chili colorado yesterday. I didn’t necessarily want it for dinner because we have a couple of leftover pork chops in the fridge. But Mrs. L.A. wanted it because it had been cooking all day. It turned out tasty, I thought, considering it’s just meat and chile powder (and water and onion). The Missus thought it was too spicy. I only put three serrano chiles in it for over three pounds of meat. I only used one pepper last time, but also half the meat. Since we had leftover black beans and leftover corn, I mixed them into the chili for Da Wife to eat. The adjuncts no doubt attenuated the heat. As for this batch, I didn’t find it very spicy at all.

Total FUBAR at school today. Tomorrow is a special schedule for soph/junior testing and such. But the school has no idea what to do with the seniors. They gave us a couple of Power-Point presentations to show them, but my seniors are going to be stuck in my room for 4 1/2 hours! Those presentations will take 15 minutes, tops. I can’t in good faith tell them all to stay home tomorrow, but I hope most of them do. The chaos today means that tomorrow will be off-the-charts f*cked up.

So much chaos.

(grumble) Am I being totally unreasonable to think that an Instacart order:
a) should arrive within the two-hour delivery window, when the shopper was in-store over 1.5hr for a five-item order at a store no more than 15 minutes from me;
b) should arrive with lunch meat and sour cream noticeably cooler than ambient temp;
c) should be delivered by the person whose picture appears on the Instacart website as the shopper? (In this case, the name and picture were feminine, person arriving with order was definitely too male to match up.)

Happy Toosday!

Messy morning.
I was supposed to pet sit Buttercup and Ruby today.
I let Lucy and Lily know I wouldn’t be coming to the park.
I decided I’d take the brats with me, the car guy said to throw a blanket over the seats for the dogs.
Then I started panicking because I realized the food I was taking with me has pork in it. My friend’s husband and MIL are some religion, not Jewish, that doesn’t allow them to eat pork or shellfish. They are Christian but follow Jewish dietary rules.
My other option to take was shrimp.
Since I was leaving later than usual, I decided to get a bath before going.
I hear my phone ringing, it’s my friend telling me she doesn’t need me to watch her dogs as her husband is home today.
I let Lily and Lucy know I was going to the park, although I would be late.
Ripple and Echo didn’t want to get in the car. Something new, they don’t like it. I had to drag Echo in. Both had to ride in the back and Ripple was very unhappy about that. He rides shotgun, ALWAYS. They dislike the car even more than I do. Ripple was afraid to jump out of it, even though it is closer to the ground.
Since we were late to the park, other people were already there.
One woman took my seat, which of course it’s a public park and she can sit where she wants, but she sees us there all the time, and all of us always sit in the same places. I always sit on one end of the bench and Lily mom sits on the other, but other woman plopped her ass right in the middle so nobody else could sit on that bench.
I knew my dogs wouldn’t like it, shar pei hate change, but I was surprised at how many of the other dogs were upset too. They kept looking at me like, why are you over here when you belong over there?
Don’t disrupt their world that way.
But then to top off the morning, don’t know what got into Bandit. First his lifted his leg on Remus dad’s leg, then he came over and sprinkled on my leg. Don’t know if he was marking us as his property, or saying piss on you.
He has never done that before.
He is also one of the ones who seemed a bit thrown off by me sitting in a different spot.
This is why, no matter how grungy I am, I never shower or put on clean clothes before going to the park.

Finally got the check from the old mortgage company.
Less than I expected.
Still waiting for the check from AT&T.

Nettie, you are not being unreasonable. I wonder if they shop for multiple people at the same time.

Around here, senior cut day is the day the other classes take their tests. This week. My friend’s son is all excited about it. He is going to stay home and play video games.
Our senior cut day was near the end of the school year.

I am horrible with plants. I have managed to kill both spider plants, and wandering Jew. I was assured that they were impossible to kill. For a while I was doing really well with African Violets. Only because my bathroom window faced south and was frosted. Lots of diffused sun light and high humidity.
I’m worried about my palm, I’m afraid when I bring it inside it’ll die. I think I’ll bring him inside at night when it’s cold, but put him back out during the day. Get him used to being indoors gradually.

For sure the love of my dogs is worth the drool and hair.

I’m sorry for your cousin Red.
Old lady job sounds good though.

Glad George came through okay.
Male cat neutering is pretty simple though. I watched a vet do a few on the tailgate of his pickup. Waiting for the anesthesia to take effect took longer than the actual surgery. They were barn cats though, so they woke up and off they went. No pain meds, no cone of shame.

Hey, they’re using it, that’s good for folks their generation.

Made my signature biscuits (with homemade strawberry jam) and fluffy scrambled eggs this morning. Bacon on the side. And coffee, of course. I think this is likely because the temps are dipping into the 30s at night now and fall is knocking on my personal door, triggering the urge for comfort food.

I also put out the first peanuts of the season for the jays. They never forget, and keep a close watch on the back deck. It took all of five seconds for the first one to swoop down and grab a prize, and they stick around all winter. Nice to see a flash of blue in the gray mornings.

Morning everyone!

Things are back to what passes for normal here. We had a nice fall, I really enjoyed both days. VBC is cranky because the sun has moved enough that she doesn’t have her favorite sunny spot on the back of the loveseat so she has to settle for a sunny patch on the floor.

Our friend wanted a security camera for his front porch so hubs took him to Walmart. All the cameras at Walmart needed wifi, and our friend doesn’t have internet. Hubs did some online research and found something suitable and is on his way to Cottonwood as I type.

Yes, its a pretty simple procedure and bad results are pretty rare, but you know how it is…of course we are going to worry. We have a cone but we’ve never needed to use it on any of ours. We mostly just keep the cone so we don’t have to pay for one when taking the furballs for surgery.

All ye who have brown thumbs, come to the PNW. When I was working, I didn’t have time for plant care, and houseplants required begging and bribes to keep struggling. My kids used to jokingly give me cacti for Mother’s Day. Out here, if you spit in any direction, a tree or fern pops up. My geranium, which lives on the balcony, is easily 7 times the size it was 2 years ago and blooms well past Christmas. Right now I have an avocado growing in a glass in my kitchen, which gets very little light. (I found the cracked pit in an avocado and couldn’t stand to throw it away when it wanted to live.) I’m tellin’ ya, this place is plant magic.

Quietly, hope none of the seniors show up so you get 4.5 hours to grade, do lesson plans, etc.

Seanette, that all seems reasonable to me. Sounds like something got screwed up. Maybe the original shopper’s car broke down? It’d explain the new shopper and the lukewarm items.

Butters, the housing market is supposed to stay hot well into 2022, if that’s any comfort. Are you planning on moving into an apartment or buying a new house? (Sorry if you said this and I forgot.)

wordy, I say take the plunge and get the coffee pot before the orthodontist bill arrives.

shoe, what are we gonna do with you? Mangia, mangia!

Grew up on the Oregon coast and am walking plantbane. :slight_smile:

I did get everything on my list and am confident enough about the perishables still being edible. Now FedEx has stepped up to the VCTPMO plate (see post in October mini-rants thread for details). At least the postal service abstained from participating and delivered a couple of eBay goodies. Etsy was also kind enough to send me (via email) a $5 account credit, which covered the shipping and sales tax for a new kitty toy :smiley:

The Princess is unamused about the windows and patio door being open, but she’s going to have to cope. We need fresher air in here, and that wind is definitely delivering better than FedEx. :wink:

THAT is impressive.

Except for tomatoes, strawberries, and Thai chile peppers. Those are the things I’ve tried to grow. The tomato plants will issue a grudging few tomatoes, and then the leaves start getting black spots on them and they die. The strawberries make about one or two berries a week – and even though the squirrels have their own patch, they come into the catio to raid our plants. I think we got three berries this year. The chiles I attempted several years ago never bore fruit.

The only things that grow are the things we want not to grow.

No plan but I will definitely buy a house should I actually sell this one. Don’t know where but it will be somewhere much cheaper to live than the Keys. I only need a small house with a fenced in backyard, preferably a six foot privacy fence lest Barky Buddy disturb any neighbors. I have to stay in the extreme southeast as I can’t bear the cold anymore so elsewhere in Florida, South Ga or even South Alabama are good candidates. Maybe once I get all my chores done and the crap moved I may decide to stay put. I have even toyed with the idea of buying a shack somewhere and keeping this house and being a snowbird. I would like to summer somewhere else for sure due to the heat here. Am I picky or what?

Oh look- it’s naptime.

Sounds like you have soil issues. You can probably get it analyzed around there or go ask your local nursery folks. There are measures you can take. There are sprays for your tomatoes to keep the blight off, and you can’t plant them outdoors until the soil is consistently above 50F, but soil nutrients are most important. We get more tomatoes than we can eat from one Sweet Millions plant, and the Celebrity mid-sized maters do well, also (in Portland). Never had any luck with peppers, but I suspect it’s another soil issue, as I’ve seen them flourishing in the 'hood, and they really like hot weather. How old are your strawberry plants? They eventually just age out and quit producing. That’s what happened to ours.

Well, shoot - I was supposed to have my eyeballs looked at today since I can’t tell whether my vision is actually getting way worse or my glasses are just really badly scratched. I’d made the appointment online, gotten a call telling me they’d moved me to 4 p.m. today and to call them back only if it didn’t work. Well, I called 'em today just before the appointment since I hadn’t gotten one of those “Hey, don’t forget!” texts from the doc and apparently they didn’t bother to schedule me since I didn’t call back.

Dangit. I’m not sure who to be more annoyed with - me, because I shoulda called back it seems or them because they told me not to unless I needed to change it and didn’t bother to schedule me anyway. Poop. Guess I’m just gonna have to be blurry for another two weeks at least.

Vet bill was just over $300 - distemper for all 3, rabies for the cats (Higgs’ is still current) and nail trim for Higgs. And the vet trimmed the worst of the mats off Ziva. She looks stupid but the mats are gone. I saw the trimmer he used - I’m going to try to find one for us. I can hold her and FCD can clip her. Theoretically… Anyway, once we got home, she headed for her hiding place under the bed.

I picked up Roxy - it was apparently grandmother pickup day - three in a row of us! I love picking her up - she’s always so excited to see me! :smiley: Daughter’s Dr appt was good - the baby was active. Next week’s sonogram will determine if they’ll have to do a C-section or not. Last time they looked, he was breech, but he may have flipped. We shall see.

FCD wanted fried chicken from the deli, so I got that for him and pulled poke for me. Quick and relatively cheap supper. We ate early and now we’re in chillage mode. Overall, a mostly chill day.

We had a scheduling shuffle (again :roll_eyes:) but it meant someone else wound up handling block most of the time, with me pitching in occasionally.

So I’m not hot & sweaty & exhausted! Yay!

In fact, I feel better than I have in days - chugging water & powerade, and eating a tuna salad lunch kit thingie, all definitely helped.

I took a multivitamin last night, too, which I’m sure didn’t hurt matters.

I just need to ride that wave of non-crappy-feelingness through dinnertime. There’s stuff in my pantry & more in my freezer; I don’t lack the supplies, just the desire.

The rain (sorta) let up, so I let the cats out into a light drizzle.
Now they’re doing the “in & out & in, then out again” thing, but with muddy feet and damp fur.

I keep telling both of them, their mothers would be ashamed! Such dirty kitties!

The schedule shuffle happened because MainBossGuy apparently has a really bad hemorrhoid. Poor guy was walking nearly bowlegged all morning, until someone else (who got called in on his day off) came in to relieve him.
Pun intended.

I’m slightly ashamed to admit, we poked fun behind his back the rest of the day.

(“Who put all these pork butts into the smoker?! We don’t need that many!”
“Oh. That was Hemorrhoid Craig.”
Etc.")

Slightly ashamed. Very slightly.

nellie, it sounds like your sister already has some kidney issues. I hope that she takes this seriously and follows medical advice.

flyboy, is your growing area in the shade? Any sun loving plants ('maters, peppers and strawberries for example) need a lot of direct sunlight. My yard is in the shade, so I have to plant accordingly.

I talked to my cousin’s daughter on the way home from irk this afternoon. They did tell Sis and she took it hard. Her daughter has definitely hit the anger stage of grief (she went into detail of the accident and true to form, Justin was being a dipshit [but our dipshit] and was at fault when his 100 cc scooter with no lights tangled with an SUV). I hope that she was left a little less angry and a bit comforted, but losing a brother is hard.

The old lady job was nice today. It’s a bit more active than the last position, but not so much that I’m having joint issues. The two Lao grannies with whom I’m working are nice and I made a good impression on my new boss by catching a few issues that I wasn’t required to check for. :slight_smile:

Stay safe and healthy y’all!