The Worst Sports Uniforms of All Time

What is the worst sports uniform of all time?

Some ideas that come to mind are: the Houston Astros rainbow popsicle, San Diego Padres brown and yellow, Pittsburgh Pirates all yellow with billed pillbox hats from the 70s (great teams can have horrible uniforms), Chicago White Sox in shorts, and just about any uniform of a minor league football team, whether it’s XFL, USFL, WLAF, etc. (What’s the deal with the L.A. Extreme logo? It looks like a cross between a swastika and a ninja star. And why do so many minor league football teams wear outrageous colors like neon green?)

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers Creamsicle uniforms. Light orange and white? What is that?

Mid 80s Atlanta Braves. Blue and light blue. Although the Pirates of the 70s were up (down?) there, too.

Hey! I loved the Pirates hats! The all yellow was not so good… but go easy on the hats!
::mumbles::

pirate kepis (black) are classic. i have one with two stars.

For a short time during the 1910s or 1920s, the Brooklyn Dodgers tried to “improve” upon the Yankees’ pinstripes by creating uniforms with horizontal as well as vertical pinstripes, resulting in checkered uniforms. They looked pretty ridiculous, but still can’t beat the White Sox shorts for the very worst.

Oh ye of little memory…

Don’t you remember the Okland As of the mid '70s when they wore day-glo green and white uniforms with matching (ready for this?) shorts to actually play a game in Okland? Granted the shorts part was only for one game, but they forever enshrined themselves as number one in any top ten list of bad sports uniforms.

And while it isn’t exactly “sports” uniforms I also love the goal referees in Australian Rules Football with their glossy white rain coats with matching snap brim hats.

TV

When I saw this thread the first thing that came to mind was the Astros’ 1980’s rainbow look. However, I never thought the Houston Oilers’ baby blue was the greatest look either. At least the Rockets have always had good uniforms.

Isn’t it obvious people?? Spewed forth from the Mighty Rat as a marketing ploy for a cheesy kid’s movie are the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. I also nominate them for worst team name.

Cheers,
Hodge

Besides those already mentioned, some of the worst uniforms you’ll see are when baseball teams do those “Back To The Future” days. Yeesh. The Mariners had an awful uniform the last time they did that.

For that matter, so does any other team.

Pick 'em. NHL: California Golden Seal (with obligatory banana-yellow skates!) or USFL: Orlando (what were they called?) with the neon-green jerseys.

NFL:

Old LA Rams [the St. Louis Rams’ ore ok]
Cincinatti Bengals
NY Giants
Old New England Patriots
Houston Oilers
Chicago Bears need a new logo… put the bear on the helmet

New York Islanders “Fish Stick” uniforms with the Gorton Fisherman logo. So ridiculous that they tried to ditch them in the middle of the season, and were prevented by league rules.

I actually liked the Astro’s rainbow uniforms.

The White Sox uniforms with the shorts.

Also, The Washington Bullets of the 70’s, modeled aftet the Astros.

And the most infamous of all, in agreement with Realitychuck, the New York Islanders uniform with the Gordon’s fisherman on it. Lasted for about 6 months, but will last forever in awful memory.

Da Bears don’t need a new logo. What, you want them to look like the Cubs now?

Easy. 80s Vancouver Canucks. Good god. It looked like they bought surplus haloween costumes for Christs sake!

I’m too young to remember this, but the Denver Broncos of the old AFL sported socks with vertical stripes for a time during the 60s.

Also, this isn’t a uniform, but along the same lines, how about that red-white-and-blue basketball they used in the old ABA?

Of the NFL throwback uniforms, I was most repelled by the Bears. Their throwback uniforms, full of black and yellow, made them look like walking traffic signs.

I wouldn’t change the Bears’ current duds, though.

You must’ve missed the Steelers throwbacks. They looked almost the same, except there was yellow instead of orange, and black instead of navy. Oh, and there was this big crest in the middle that made it look like they stole the jerseys from some soccer club.

Then there’s always the Rockets current pajama uniforms.

The gimmicky, always bad “future” uniforms for baseball . . . yech.

does not remember the “shorts for a day” uniform. The team did have a mustache day promotion in 1972. It was so popular most of the players kept them that season. Their regular uniform were wild enough without adding shorts to the mix. Yikes.

Even worse when they darkened the orange. They looked like Bob’s Barricades. Thank God for Pewter Power.

Speaking of throwback uniforms, they are so bad I call them Throw Up uniforms.