There Are Rumors That You Are Gay: What is the Enlightened Thing to do?

BTW, I really like Martha Stewart. She supports many of the causes I believe in–and she has class. And if she ever reads this web site she’ll have an sense of humor–I hope.

I went the “f— off” route. I was at this new school and wasn’t particularly happy to be there anyway. A couple of months after I got there, some of my new friends came around and warned me that there was a rumor going around about me. At first I laughed it off, but things move fast in High School and by lunchtime the whole gang wanted to hear the good word.

“Ah, f— 'em,” I said, somewhat angrily. “Don’t tell 'em anything. Don’t tell 'em I told you anything. I don’t want to hang around with someone who cares about that sort of thing, anyway.”

It worked well enough. Even then I had some gay accquaintances who were trying to keep it on the DL, so I figured the correct approach was to make it nobody’s damned business even though it would have been easy to prove otherwise. There had been some ugly incidents in the recent past, and I figured it would be sort of unfair if I were to cave in while some of these other guys were in danger of physical harm from the less-upright students. It paid off pretty well, too. I was way more popular at that school than I was at the one to which I eventually returned.

Since then, anyone who asks gets the stock answer, “I’m very secure with my sexuality.” Those who know me don’t have to ask.

That dude Ricky Martin seems to have the idea down. He ain’t tellin’, but if you have to ask he’ll probably tell you to piss off.

Well, as a straight man, if the rumor starts going around, I’d remain silent on the topic, and do one of two things:

1. Start dating Pam Anderson. Yeah, there is the disease risk, but she tapes everything.

2. Win the Presidency and get BJ’s from my “curvy” female intern. Nobody ever doubted Billy Boy’s love for the ladies.

(For those who take themselves too seriously, this post has been typed with tounge firmly pressed in cheek.)

“I’m flattered you wonder, but I have to dissapoint you.”

I go with just no when I am asked. Anything else seems like too much effort:)

Random Idiot: “Hey, xcheopis, I’ve been hearing that you’re actually gay.”

Me: “What’s your point?”

The Major League Answer

“Mr. Piazza, are you gay?”

“Hmm, I’m not sure. Why don’t you send over your wife and your brother, and we’ll research the question and get back to you.”

So, dalovindj - what did you do?

:wink:

Yes, well, sorry about those. I live in NYC and around here swearing is like breathing. Automatic and essential. It’s part of the dialect. It’s my culture!

That’s classic. Got some wierd looks from my boss when I busted out laughing. Gotta play it a little more cool when I’m at work . . .

In high school alot of my friends from drama were gay. I hung out with the drama kids alot, so I would often get asked if I was gay as well. My response was always “No, but there is nothing wrong with it.” like Piazza. If I could go back, I would go with C.

I have kind of a young boyish look. These days I do get hit on by gay men from time to time. My response is always “I’m flattered, but I am straight.” If someone is asking me for any other reason other than hitting on me (or trying to set up a date for me), then the answer is usually something like:

“Oh yeah. There is nothing I love better than cock. Cock in the morning, cock in the evening. What’s for lunch? Cock.”

Usually shuts em up quick. I don’t have time for bigots.

DaLovin’ Dj

Here’s a related examples:

As a teacher, what ought I do when a student calls another “gay” as an insult or uses the female pronoun to refer to a male is that male’s presense? These are mostly middle school kids that do this.

If I say "no insults, young man . . . " I make it sound like being gay is a derogatory term.

If I say 'There’s nothing wrong with being gay" I sound like I am confirming something about that person’s sexual orientation. Ditto for “We don’t talk about sexual orientation in this classroom.”

If I say “You meant that as an insult, and we don’t allow that in here.” I open myself up to “Man, I didn’t mean there was anything wrong with that. I just meant he was gay.” (snigger snigger"
This is a signifigant problem at one school I substitute at: the kids constantly do this, especially in the special ed classes. As a substitute I was really stuck, because I have no authority or clout or ability to be consistaint. Nor would the Powers that Be have appriciated me saying something that could have been twisted 18 different ways. (Ms. JO said I was gay!") But it drove me carzy. Any suggestions on how to handle this in my own class? (that I will hopefully ahve this fall)?

Question: There are rumors you are gay. What is the enlightned thing to do?

Answer: Bend over and take it like a man!

Sorry. I couldn’t resist. [Must Control Fingers of Flippancy!]

Manda How about In my classroom, 'the word gay is not an insult, nor is it appropriate to question some one about their sexual orientation. Now, since you have my attention, I assume that you want to come up to the board and do this math problem for the class :D"

Like, oh my god. Y’all have missed, like, the most, like obvious answer!

F. Be jovial, be happy, laugh, sing, play, hug folks, hug your pets, turn cartwheels, spread love, and just live life to the fullest.

This is the perfect answer to that type of question.

:):D:):):):):);):):):):):):):):):D:):):):):):D:D:):):):p:):):):):):):D:D:):):):):):):):):):slight_smile:

Pretend you are gay, make fun of everyone for thinking its a weird thing, let them know you dont care and move on with life.